How to start

hulkamaniac54

Awards
How do I start dieting after a few years of binge eating and working out little?

I was a college lineman, always had a bit of a belly. Past four years I binge drank and ate my way to losing muscle mass while getting a beer belly and chesticles. I need to turn it around now. I just got a gym membership been off booze 2 months. I thought id be losing weight from no booze, but I prob need to cut out pop and other stuff.

How do I start? Ease in? Start hardcore regiment?

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
In respect of nutrition I would download MyFitnessPal and check what your caloric intake and macros are first, once established I would set caloric intake 500kcals per day lower than you are currently consuming assuming you are maintaining current body weight. Macro breakdown I would suggest Protein at 1.5g per lb of body weight (satiation), fats at 0.5g per lb (hormonal) then the balance from carbs.

How are you training currently? I would suggest at least 3 days per week doing a full body routine, you could look into HST training

Dz23

Dz23

Awards
How do I start dieting after a few years of binge eating and working out little?

I was a college lineman, always had a bit of a belly. Past four years I binge drank and ate my way to losing muscle mass while getting a beer belly and chesticles. I need to turn it around now. I just got a gym membership been off booze 2 months. I thought id be losing weight from no booze, but I prob need to cut out pop and other stuff.

How do I start? Ease in? Start hardcore regiment?
Firstly, it takes breaking those terrible habits of booze and junk food.

I had done exactly the same to myself and I was mortified when I had a moment of clarity one day. I was staring in the mirror at this huge gut through drunken eyes and I knew something had to change.

I took it one day at a time, cutting out all junk food, alcohol, prescription drugs, recreational drugs, fizzy drinks and sweets.

I have not been one for doing much cardio and through diet and weight training I managed to lose 3 stone and then put on 2 stone of lean body mass. I think a stone is about 6 kilos to you Americans.

Point is, it's not easy and there is only one way to get there and that is by consistency.

Take it a day at a time..
Train sensibly around work with adequate rest, work out your BMR, track your meals and enjoy the journey to feeling better. It won't happen overnight, this is literally for the rest of your life so don't expect too much too soon.

There is a lot of good info out there mate but just focus on you and work towards your goal

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Solid advice above - I wouldn't jump into training 100% and go balls to the wall from day one. You'll burn out and get discouraged.

Breaking your diet habits will be the biggest key to your success. I would throw away or get rid of all junk food in your house, you will be far more likely to succeed without the temptation of bad food choices in your cabinets. Start by fixing your nutrition and shaking the bad habits.

From there, I would start simple with weight training - maybe 3-4 days per week with moderate weight. Focus more in range of motion and proper form to get yourself back into the swing of things for the first few weeks. After you've given yourself some time to readjust and form the habit of getting into the gym, you can work on increasing volume and intensity with your training.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
There are tons of online calculators that will help you figure out your macros and caloric intake based on your current stats. That is a good starting place for proper diet.

hambone2493

Awards
  • Established
I really like intermittent fasting it's a simple but very effective diet plan. I've lost lost 100lbs since January right now I weigh 225.

Essentially intermittent fasting is not eating before noon. Your first meal should be almost exclusively protein. Then your next meal 2-3 meals throughout the day should have a few carbs. I personally always try to keep my carb intake below 100 grams. Also try and keep your protein intake around 250 grams. Also try not to eat crappy carbs like ice cream etc. Good luck man!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I really like intermittent fasting it's a simple but very effective diet plan. I've lost lost 100lbs since January right now I weigh 225.

Essentially intermittent fasting is not eating before noon. Your first meal should be almost exclusively protein. Then your next meal 2-3 meals throughout the day should have a few carbs. I personally always try to keep my carb intake below 100 grams. Also try and keep your protein intake around 250 grams. Also try not to eat crappy carbs like ice cream etc. Good luck man!
Firstly, congrats on the weight loss! 100lbs in 7 months is awesome!! But this post has far too many broad generalizations. By the book "lean gains" IF (which is what most people mean when they just refer to "IF" is fasting 16 hours out of the day and having an 8 hour feeding window. Whether that window starts at 10AM, 2PM, noon, 5PM, or any other time depends solely on convenience and the time you ended your feeding window the night before. If its convenient for you to start at noon, then stop eating at 8pm the previous night and begin your feeding window at noon the next day. But that specific feeding window isnt the basis of IF, the 16 hour fast is.

Next, you dont have to go low carb on IF. I personally liked to combine carb cycling with my old IF regimen, but you dont have to. The beautiful thing about IF is that the fast helps improve insulin sensitivity, therefore the subject SHOULD be able to tolerate more carbs than otherwise. Saying that your first meal should be exclusively protein is once again simply plain wrong.

His protein goal may very well be far different than yours as well, saying it has to be 250 isn't correct either. OP, and maybe even the poster of the quote I have quoted, find your tdee on an online calculator. Then take your body weight and thats the number of grams of protein you should eat a day (on average, i usually just shoot for +\- ~10%). For instance, i weigh 240lbs, so i aim for 215-265g per day. Then, take your weight times 0.5 - this is the amount of fat you should eat per day. Once again, +/- ~10% is fine. So going back to my example, i aim for 105-135g/day. Then I fill in the rest of my calories with carbs. You can always adjust fat and carbs, what i laid out is just the general starting point. Spread your macros and calories out however you want between the 3 meals, but I remember Martin (the creator of IF) states that you should have 45-50% of your total calories in your post workout meal. Whether it is your first or your third or whatever, you just have to adjust your remaining meals to compensate for that amount of calories. I used to do ~50% post workout (meal #1) consisting of half my protein intake and the majority of my carb intake for the dat, ~15% meal 2 consisting of a little protein/carbs/fat, ~35% meal 3 30 mins before my feeding window closed consisting of the remainder of my macros.

You could either go about it this way, or go to an online IF calculator (there are plenty out there, just play around with a couple and see which one you like best). One of them will literally set your entire diet plan up for you, day by day, week by week, until you meet your goal weight that you plugged in to the calculator. IF isnt some magical diet plan, it comes down to convenience and satiety. I prefer eating larger meals and not having to worry about packing food everywhere i go. Plus, I eventually came to the point where I actually enjoyed fasting. I used to do an all day fast (another form of IF) once a week where I would cook a humongous pot roast with a bunch of potatoes and other veges and then have a pint of ice cream for my calorie intake for the entire day.

hambone2493

Awards
  • Established
I just cut back on carbs for faster results, and based the types of meals off of "carb back loading" by John Keifer. I agree my protein goal is to high.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I just cut back on carbs for faster results, and based the types of meals off of "carb back loading" by John Keifer. I agree my protein goal is to high.
Well, that would have been nice of you to mention! Lol. Im a big fan of carb back loading. But you sort of told him the principles of carb back loading but told him that was the gist of IF, which it isnt. As you know, they are totally separate things that can easily be utilized simultaneously.

I wasn't trying to say your protein goal is "too high", if thats what works for you then stick with it. It was probably good to have your protein goal a little on the higher end with all of the weight you lost. I was just trying to give the OP an easy way to set up macros and also at the same time state that his goal doesnt HAVE to be 250 like you sort or suggested it did.

Industrial

Industrial

Awards
Firstly, it takes breaking those terrible habits of booze and junk food.

I had done exactly the same to myself and I was mortified when I had a moment of clarity one day. I was staring in the mirror at this huge gut through drunken eyes and I knew something had to change.

I took it one day at a time, cutting out all junk food, alcohol, prescription drugs, recreational drugs, fizzy drinks and sweets.

I have not been one for doing much cardio and through diet and weight training I managed to lose 3 stone and then put on 2 stone of lean body mass. I think a stone is about 6 kilos to you Americans.

Point is, it's not easy and there is only one way to get there and that is by consistency.

Take it a day at a time..
Train sensibly around work with adequate rest, work out your BMR, track your meals and enjoy the journey to feeling better. It won't happen overnight, this is literally for the rest of your life so don't expect too much too soon.

There is a lot of good info out there mate but just focus on you and work towards your goal
you dont do any recreational drugs at all?

ive been clean for a while too. used to have a little problem, but conquered it

Dz23

Dz23

Awards
you dont do any recreational drugs at all?

ive been clean for a while too. used to have a little problem, but conquered it
I still use weed but that is all. Only natural remedies these days. Really enjoy getting stoned and eating big after a week of work and lifting.

How about u?

Dz23

Dz23

Awards
I still use weed but that is all. Only natural remedies these days. Really enjoy getting stoned and eating big after a week of work and lifting.

How about u?
And Deffo no alcohol whatsoever. That **** garbage

Industrial

Industrial

Awards

How about u?
i love to smoke weed, but havent in a while. my wife is scared that it will turn back into a powder problem (she thinks its a gateway drug), so i haven't partaken in a little while. but i think im going to smoke here soon. theres nothing better than lifting then smoking a big bowl and relaxing!

Dz23

Dz23

Awards
i love to smoke weed, but havent in a while. my wife is scared that it will turn back into a powder problem (she thinks its a gateway drug), so i haven't partaken in a little while. but i think im going to smoke here soon. theres nothing better than lifting then smoking a big bowl and relaxing!
Absolutely my man! I like a smoke myself and gave recently taken to using cannabis pills made from oil. No lung damage and they get u absolutely screwed up! Helps hot those macros too when the munchies come lol

Industrial

Industrial

Awards
Absolutely my man! I like a smoke myself and gave recently taken to using cannabis pills made from oil. No lung damage and they get u absolutely screwed up! Helps hot those macros too when the munchies come lol
cannabis pills? pm me a link?