Transitioning out of keto

Hockeyaus33

Hockeyaus33

Awards
  • Established
Can someone who knows what they are doing give me insight on how to properly transition out of a ketogenic diet after a hard cut ( sub 8% bf levels)

Trying to limit fat gain but go into a lean bulk with carbs

cut ending macros were
200 P
39 C
150 F

Thanks

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm assuming you are going to reverse diet, how many calories are you going to add the first week? Also, I would think about carb cycling.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Carb cycling would definitely be a smart approach. Keep in mind that you'll most likely gain 5-6 pounds initially from water weight and glycogen, and you'll probably lose some definition simply due to water weight. Coming out of keto is challenging - you probably won't gain fat if you monitor calorie intake, but you will gain weight initially due to water retention so don't panic.

I would start out by keeping total calorie intake right around where you are now, maybe increase by 200-300 calories. I would start with some moderate carb days with lower fat intake to give your body a chance to adjust. I would also suggest adding in a GDA like Slinmax to help with digestion, bloating, and water retention. Using a GDA is a great way to counter some of the unwanted effects of adding carbs back into your diet. How long were you doing keto for?

Hockeyaus33

Hockeyaus33

Awards
  • Established
Carb cycling would definitely be a smart approach. Keep in mind that you'll most likely gain 5-6 pounds initially from water weight and glycogen, and you'll probably lose some definition simply due to water weight. Coming out of keto is challenging - you probably won't gain fat if you monitor calorie intake, but you will gain weight initially due to water retention so don't panic.

I would start out by keeping total calorie intake right around where you are now, maybe increase by 200-300 calories. I would start with some moderate carb days with lower fat intake to give your body a chance to adjust. I would also suggest adding in a GDA like Slinmax to help with digestion, bloating, and water retention. Using a GDA is a great way to counter some of the unwanted effects of adding carbs back into your diet. How long were you doing keto for?
I was in keto for about 3 months. Got pretty shredded on it..it definitely works

cobri66

cobri66

Awards
I was in keto for about 3 months. Got pretty shredded on it..it definitely works
I'm down 13 lbs in about 3 weeks..realize some of that is water but still...I like it

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
For the end of a cut, keto is amazing. I've done keto several times and always had great success with it. I always feel like crap during my training, but I look lean AF haha. I would just take it slow and steady with the carbs, and a GDA would definitely help

Hockeyaus33

Hockeyaus33

Awards
  • Established
Does anyone else notice being super prone to injuries when they cut. I all of a sudden have a new pain and/or pulled muscle on a weekly basis lately

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Does anyone else notice being super prone to injuries when they cut. I all of a sudden have a new pain and/or pulled muscle on a weekly basis lately
It's totally common. Your body just can't repair itself nearby as well in an energy deficit. The energy is going to be focused on general body and organ function first and foremost.

Mentally you can still push the limits but physically and physiologically your body can't keep up.

Wimsicle

Wimsicle

Awards
  • Established
It's totally common. Your body just can't repair itself nearby as well in an energy deficit. The energy is going to be focused on general body and organ function first and foremost.

Mentally you can still push the limits but physically and physiologically your body can't keep up.
I'd agree, but that's one of the benefits of keto in a cut as well imo. It's muscle sparing and helpful on the joints as well, which makes injury less prone compared to typical cuts.