Confused on calories

SlavicStrong

Awards
Started training last may at 156 pounds, shot up to 208, lost some weight after creatine. I am 5'10, 16, and currently 202 pounds, and my TDEE calculator says 2500 calories for cutting. This seems a little too high, I know I'm still in puberty and growing, but 2500 is like the normal man's maintence. I workout 5 days a week, using a PPL routine. I go 3 days in a row, take 2 off, then go another 3, so a 3 on 2 off routine.

The main question is calories...not sure if 2500 is low enough, seems like the amount someone would eat normally.

Swindler

Swindler

Awards
  • Established
Everyone is different I would start dropping calories a couple hundred a week till I started dropping weight then hold at that intake till no further weight loss the drop another 100 or so calories a week...

SlavicStrong

Awards
Everyone is different I would start dropping calories a couple hundred a week till I started dropping weight then hold at that intake till no further weight loss the drop another 100 or so calories a week...
Tried one week of 2500 no difference, so I'm lowering it to 2200 at most. I want to hold off on cardio for now, but if I have to keep lowering cals, I'll add in cardio so I don't eat too little.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
2500 should be close to where you want to be, but everyone is a little different. I would stick to 2500 for a little longer than just one week to see how it goes, its very hard to make an accurate assessment after just one week. What is your macro split?

And also, how active are you throughout the day besides your workouts? This plays a major role in your TDEE. If you're walking a lot or play sports, 2500 might be too low. But if you're sedentary and aren't up and about too much, 2300-2500 might be a good starting point.

SlavicStrong

Awards
2500 should be close to where you want to be, but everyone is a little different. I would stick to 2500 for a little longer than just one week to see how it goes, its very hard to make an accurate assessment after just one week. What is your macro split?

And also, how active are you throughout the day besides your workouts? This plays a major role in your TDEE. If you're walking a lot or play sports, 2500 might be too low. But if you're sedentary and aren't up and about too much, 2300-2500 might be a good starting point.
Keep in mind I'm 16, so I'm sitting in school for round 7am to 2pm, I go home, sit more. So yeah only really active for the hour I'm in the gym. Also, for macros, I try for at least 200g protein while on this cut, and try to not go above 150g carbs. Fats are unknown as of now, but I usually have a meat for dinner everyday.

Sdog77

Sdog77

Awards
  • Established
That calculator may have your activity level too high. At least thats what it sounds like to me. 2500 doesn't sound off for just over 200lbs.

If I was you and all things considered, I eat the same as you are (@2500) and just add maybe 30 min of cardio and burn off 300-500 calories more than you are now. Start with your off days only maybe.

And def. give it more than 1 week.

SlavicStrong

Awards
That calculator may have your activity level too high. At least thats what it sounds like to me. 2500 doesn't sound off for just over 200lbs.

If I was you and all things considered, I eat the same as you are (@2500) and just add maybe 30 min of cardio and burn off 300-500 calories more than you are now. Start with your off days only maybe.

And def. give it more than 1 week.
Alright, I might do some cardio on off days.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Alright, I might do some cardio on off days.
If you're just starting out on your cut, I would hold off on cardio until you've found where your calorie intake should be. If you keep adjusting things you'll never be certain what your TDEE is and how much you should be eating to have success on your cut

mad_canada

mad_canada

Awards
Started training last may at 156 pounds, shot up to 208, lost some weight after creatine. I am 5'10, 16, and currently 202 pounds, and my TDEE calculator says 2500 calories for cutting. This seems a little too high, I know I'm still in puberty and growing, but 2500 is like the normal man's maintence. I workout 5 days a week, using a PPL routine. I go 3 days in a row, take 2 off, then go another 3, so a 3 on 2 off routine.

The main question is calories...not sure if 2500 is low enough, seems like the amount someone would eat normally.
Bro, at that height I wonder what your bodyfat level is.

You're sixteen years old. You probably aren't jacked as fuk (yet) so you're probably carrying around fat.

That counts when it comes to calculations and fat loss.

More details would help.

SlavicStrong

Awards
Bro, at that height I wonder what your bodyfat level is.

You're sixteen years old. You probably aren't jacked as fuk (yet) so you're probably carrying around fat.

That counts when it comes to calculations and fat loss.

More details would help.
If I had to guess BF % Range, possibly 15-19%. I used to be 156 pounds last May, but gain muscle and fat, now around 202, but not too sure on my percentage. I look fine with my shirt off, just not as good as I want to be. Meanwhile, some guy at the gym was telling me that I should lift fasted, but then told me I don't need to diet to lose fat, just high reps??? I usually don't listen to people at the gym, and people like this are what make me suspicious. TDEE estimates the most lean body mass I can half right now at 10% BF is 185ish, which seems about correct. About 15 pounds off me would look about right.

Swindler

Swindler

Awards
  • Established
If I had to guess BF % Range, possibly 15-19%. I used to be 156 pounds last May, but gain muscle and fat, now around 202, but not too sure on my percentage. I look fine with my shirt off, just not as good as I want to be. Meanwhile, some guy at the gym was telling me that I should lift fasted, but then told me I don't need to diet to lose fat, just high reps??? I usually don't listen to people at the gym, and people like this are what make me suspicious. TDEE estimates the most lean body mass I can half right now at 10% BF is 185ish, which seems about correct. About 15 pounds off me would look about right.
Just lifting hasn't helped me cut body fat I have to throw cardio in but also I am 33 years old big difference in age...

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Tried one week of 2500 no difference, so I'm lowering it to 2200 at most. I want to hold off on cardio for now, but if I have to keep lowering cals, I'll add in cardio so I don't eat too little.
If I were you, I would keep cals at 2500 for 3 or 4 weeks while tracking macros & see what the scales do. If the scales don't change at all after 4 weeks then start cutting 100cal/day each week until you see the scales start to move. If you start your cut at 2200cal, this could be 600cal below your maintenance and it will leave you very little room to shave more cals off when your body habituates to the deficit. Also you will probably find your workouts begin to tank a lot earlier.

mad_canada

mad_canada

Awards
If I had to guess BF % Range, possibly 15-19%.
There is a pretty big difference in those two numbers.
Use this image here

I CANT POST LINKS. oh well.
take the spaces out of this please between the t and the dot and the letter L
bit. ly/2tevCoI

Meanwhile, some guy at the gym was telling me that I should lift fasted, but then told me I don't need to diet to lose fat, just high reps???
Well, he is a moron.
First of all, creating a calorie deficit is REQUIRED.

You cannot do this through exercise unless you are a superhuman like Serge Nubret who just trained several HOURS A DAY. This isnt us. We are regular humans.

Secondly, you should LOWER VOLUME and RAISE INTENSITY (weight) on a cut. You need to give the muscle enough stimulus that it realizes its been worked, but not so much that it says "I need recovery" and then expects excess calories to build more muscle tissue.

You follow me there? If you up your reps and the like, you will end up overdoing things, and wont recover. Eventually you crash and say that bodybuilding is bull****.

You need to calculate your TDEE. This is what you need.
same thing here, remove the space. this is an article by lyle mcdonald on TDEE
bit. ly/2sv5xVN

I usually don't listen to people at the gym, and people like this are what make me suspicious. TDEE estimates the most lean body mass I can half right now at 10% BF is 185ish, which seems about correct. About 15 pounds off me would look about right.
Right now you need to stop thinking in terms of 10% and think in terms of setting the diet up, and just taking it a week at a time until you nail your TDEE finally, and have fat loss happening.

This is the first steps on a journey that leads you to understanding your body better than 90% of everyone else understands theirs.

And yes, you can definitely do it.

Attachments

SlavicStrong

Awards
There is a pretty big difference in those two numbers.
Use this image here

I CANT POST LINKS. oh well.
take the spaces out of this please between the t and the dot and the letter L
bit. ly/2tevCoI

Well, he is a moron.
First of all, creating a calorie deficit is REQUIRED.

You cannot do this through exercise unless you are a superhuman like Serge Nubret who just trained several HOURS A DAY. This isnt us. We are regular humans.

Secondly, you should LOWER VOLUME and RAISE INTENSITY (weight) on a cut. You need to give the muscle enough stimulus that it realizes its been worked, but not so much that it says "I need recovery" and then expects excess calories to build more muscle tissue.

You follow me there? If you up your reps and the like, you will end up overdoing things, and wont recover. Eventually you crash and say that bodybuilding is bull****.

You need to calculate your TDEE. This is what you need.
same thing here, remove the space. this is an article by lyle mcdonald on TDEE
bit. ly/2sv5xVN

Right now you need to stop thinking in terms of 10% and think in terms of setting the diet up, and just taking it a week at a time until you nail your TDEE finally, and have fat loss happening.

This is the first steps on a journey that leads you to understanding your body better than 90% of everyone else understands theirs.

And yes, you can definitely do it.
According to those pics, maybe a bit under 20. Also, how many sets would you say in total while cutting.

mad_canada

mad_canada

Awards
According to those pics, maybe a bit under 20. Also, how many sets would you say in total while cutting.

I cannot post links yet, so go to google and type in

training for fat loss mcdonald

read part one. it will give you an idea of how it all pulls together.

I personally like high intensity reverse pyramid style.

i would day 1 do deadlift, military press and pullup
day 2 squat bench and chinup
and do that 3 days a week alternating

1 set in the 5-7 range
1 set with one more rep and 10% less weight
and one last set if i feel i have it in me with 1 more rep and 10% less weight.