Keto

santangalo

Awards
Can you be on a keto diet but have about 4 beers a week? Or will it will defeat the purpose of no carbs?

juicer069

Awards
Michelob ultra you can do low carbs with, but it will knock you out of ketosis for 12 hours

juicer069

Awards
Michelob ultra you can do low carbs with, but it will knock you out of ketosis for 12 hours

juicer069

Awards
Drinking liquor can in fact deepen your level of ketosis, but will slow weight loss down. Ingestion of alcohol has effects on liver metabolism, in which more ketones are produced as you drink more. When your liver is taking care of the alcohol you drink, it’s being converted to a triglyceride which can also positively affect the production of ketones.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I would say you probably fine to do 4 beers. If you're cutting for a show or something I would say no but if you're just trying to shed some weight for your own concerns then 4 beers is fine. It won't make a ton of difference.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Drinking liquor can in fact deepen your level of ketosis, but will slow weight loss down. Ingestion of alcohol has effects on liver metabolism, in which more ketones are produced as you drink more. When your liver is taking care of the alcohol you drink, it’s being converted to a triglyceride which can also positively affect the production of ketones.
This. Drinking straight liquor after already fat adapted really makes no difference. Once in ketosis having 4 beers won't affect much either. It just becomes a calories problem at that point

mad_canada

mad_canada

Awards
Keto has been shown to suppress testosterone when combined with a calorie deficit.

Alcohol lowers testosterone.

Whatever you do dont eat any soy (lol)

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Keto has been shown to suppress testosterone when combined with a calorie deficit.

Alcohol lowers testosterone.

Whatever you do dont eat any soy (lol)
hahahahahahahahahaha wow. thanks for this. deeerrrpppp

mad_canada

mad_canada

Awards
hahahahahahahahahaha wow. thanks for this. deeerrrpppp
I do not get the derp.
I can show studies that argue both. That a ketogenic diet can raise test, and that it can lower it.
I can also cite that alcohol effects testosterone, and that soy does too.

Derp.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I do not get the derp.
I can show studies that argue both. That a ketogenic diet can raise test, and that it can lower it.
I can also cite that alcohol effects testosterone, and that soy does too.

Derp.
if you can show studies to argue both, why would you decisively state either, like you did... by making this comment, you basically said "my original statement may or may not even be correct". thus the "derp".

mad_canada

mad_canada

Awards
if you can show studies to argue both, why would you decisively state either, like you did... by making this comment, you basically said "my original statement may or may not even be correct". thus the "derp".
Because:

1. If keto does suppress testosterone at all, the OP should know about that.
2. I would err on the side of it does indeed suppress
3. I did not say originally I can find a study that says it can boost it. I just added that later.
4. It isn't debatable that alcohol lowers test. That is just common knowledge.

Anyhow, you obviously have a lot of good experience on it.
It is all good.

I think that OP needs to look at lifestyle changes anyhow. I do not know about drinking 4 drinks a week on a diet and seeing the same success that someone "all in" would see.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Because:

1. If keto does suppress testosterone at all, the OP should know about that.
2. I would err on the side of it does indeed suppress
3. I did not say originally I can find a study that says it can boost it. I just added that later.
4. It isn't debatable that alcohol lowers test. That is just common knowledge.

Anyhow, you obviously have a lot of good experience on it.
It is all good.

I think that OP needs to look at lifestyle changes anyhow. I do not know about drinking 4 drinks a week on a diet and seeing the same success that someone "all in" would see.
ummm if it doesnt suppress test at all, and actually raises it, then your first two points are moot and incorrect... you said you have studies to back that too so why choose the "suppression" ones as correct?

and small dose alcohol can actually acutely increase it: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12711931

I have no stake in keto or not, just trying to stop people from posting "opinions" as facts.

i would consider 4 drinks a week moderation and therefore a much healthier lifestyle choice than being so cut and dry.

mad_canada

mad_canada

Awards
ummm if it doesnt suppress test at all, and actually raises it, then your first two points are moot and incorrect... you said you have studies to back that too so why choose the "suppression" ones as correct?

and small dose alcohol can actually acutely increase it:

I have no stake in keto or not, just trying to stop people from posting "opinions" as facts.

i would consider 4 drinks a week moderation and therefore a much healthier lifestyle choice than being so cut and dry.
Yep, to each their own.
Oh yea. I am not here to argue with you, so you are aware.