Intermittent fasting 16/8 on a 5 day on 2 day off schedule?

Raisin

Raisin

Awards
Hiya, I've been trying intermittent fasting over the last few weeks on a 16/8 schedule with great results and was wondering if changing to normal eating over the weekends will affect weight loss much? Bearing in mind caloric intake will still be the same, I just won't be waiting until 12pm for my first meal as I like to have breakfast with my girlfriend (she isn't fasting) in the weekends.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Hiya, I've been trying intermittent fasting over the last few weeks on a 16/8 schedule with great results and was wondering if changing to normal eating over the weekends will affect weight loss much? Bearing in mind caloric intake will still be the same, I just won't be waiting until 12pm for my first meal as I like to have breakfast with my girlfriend (she isn't fasting) in the weekends.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Total calories at the end of the day.
IF is a lifestyle and preference, it does not have any magical properties over spaced out meals. Actually Muscle Protein Synthesis will be greater with spaced out meals compared to you squeezing them into a smaller eating window.

jmero2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I agree with the solution with there being more protein synthesis with spread out meals. But as a diabetic I follow a low carb IF way of life as it helps me lower my injections of insulin and this helps keep me pretty lean.

larrybailey

larrybailey

Awards
From what I have read,every time you eat,it spikes insulin and you come out of the fat burning mode. Yes we have ate like that for years and lost fat but I have stopped forcing protein shakes down at bed time do to the debunking of needing as much protein and how often we need it. They say that it takes 6 to 8 hours to start back burning fat after your last meal. Eating every 3 hours can not be good if your trying to burn fat. Some things you could do, stop eating earlier in the day so you can eat with your girlfriend. Maybe a 7-3, 8-4 or a 9-5 eating window?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
From what I have read,every time you eat,it spikes insulin and you come out of the fat burning mode. Yes we have ate like that for years and lost fat but I have stopped forcing protein shakes down at bed time do to the debunking of needing as much protein and how often we need it. They say that it takes 6 to 8 hours to start back burning fat after your last meal. Eating every 3 hours can not be good if your trying to burn fat. Some things you could do, stop eating earlier in the day so you can eat with your girlfriend. Maybe a 7-3, 8-4 or a 9-5 eating window?
Just stop. Your post is full of nonsense. Anytime you drink a BCAA beverage it spikes insulin, anytime you drink a protein shake it spikes insulin.
When you eat larger meals in IF your insulin spikes much greater due to the larger caloric intake of calories. At the end of the day total calories is what matters, not if you eat 7 meals or 3 meals.

larrybailey

larrybailey

Awards
Just stop. Your post is full of nonsense. Anytime you drink a BCAA beverage it spikes insulin, anytime you drink a protein shake it spikes insulin.
When you eat larger meals in IF your insulin spikes much greater due to the larger caloric intake of calories. At the end of the day total calories is what matters, not if you eat 7 meals or 3 meals.
Nonsense? Sounds like You need to do a little research. Anyways,I never said that BCAA didn't spike insulin. You don't have to eat ever 3 hours to build muscle. You can take in your protein in 4 hours or 8 or all day. Herschel Walker eats one time a day and has for 20 years

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Nonsense? Sounds like You need to do a little research. Anyways,I never said that BCAA didn't spike insulin. You don't have to eat ever 3 hours to build muscle. You can take in your protein in 4 hours or 8 or all day. Herschel Walker eats one time a day and has for 20 years
So your saying its smart to just eat 1 meal a day? Or that fasting has benefits over spaced out meals assuming caloric intake is balanced? Not there is not.. Just because you eat in a 6 or 8 hour window doesn't mean anything. These are numbers, they are guidelines, and they are personal preferences. Just like if you want to eat 1-2-3-4-5 meals a day. ALL Personal preference.

lets look at that from a Muscle Protein Synthesis standpoint.... will 1 meal or 2 meals really be beneficial? Not really.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3488566/
https://medium.com/@dannylennon/researchers-point-to-the-optimal-protein-dose-timing-distribution-to-maximize-muscle-e95c0ab570b0
http://www.anabolicsteroidcalculator.com/resources/articles/supplements/article6.pdf
These are just a few articles

If one eats, it won't take them out of a "Fat Burning zone" please relate to me how that is possible if one is eating in a caloric deficit regardless if they eat 1 to 6 times a day? It won't make a difference because simply the body will not have enough calories to be in a surplus or at maintenance. The individual will be burning fat due to a prolonged deficit over a prolonged period of time. If eating every 3 hours is bad, please tell me why so many bodybuilders who practice that amount of meals per day still come in ripped and peeled in bodybuilding shows every single week across the country? Again total intake per day.....

larrybailey

larrybailey

Awards
Yes the research says fasting has all kind of benefits over staying in a fed state.

bboyflash

Awards
I do this same protocol man IF 5-6 days then no fasting 1-2 days as if fits better for my lifestyle and work life. Eat towards your specific goal and reguardless of your fasting protocols you'll be golden.

Cheers

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
I do IF 6-7 days per week and enjoy it mostly from the convenience and the fasted cardio I do at the tail end of it. I personally don't notice too much if a difference from taking a day off from IF per week. At least not anything I'd freak out about.

In terms of IF vs normal eating, I view IF as a convenience thing for myself and an opportunity to get a nice fasted cardio that fits my schedule since I can't work out before I go to work so it lets me do a lunch cardio session while fasted.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I do IF 6-7 days per week and enjoy it mostly from the convenience and the fasted cardio I do at the tail end of it. I personally don't notice too much if a difference from taking a day off from IF per week. At least not anything I'd freak out about.
Only thing with "Fasted" Cardio is it really doesn't hold any benefit over fed cardio. At the end of the day doing your cardio is what matters most. Being in a fasted state truly dosse not provide any positive results or scientific feedback.

http://forum.simplyshredded.com/topic/2209/layne-smashes-the-myth-of-fasted-cardio/
https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-014-0054-7

Conclusion

In conclusion, our findings indicate that body composition changes associated with aerobic exercise in conjunction with a hypocaloric diet are similar regardless whether or not an individual is fasted prior to training. Hence, those seeking to lose body fat conceivably can choose to train either before or after eating based on preference. It should be noted that given the small sample size and short study duration, we cannot rule out the possibility that either condition might confer a small benefit over the other with respect to fat loss. Further study is warranted in a longer term trial with a greater number of participants.

No difference....

http://www.simplyshredded.com/myths-under-the-microscope-fasted-low-intense-cardio.html

Fed subjects consistently experience a greater thermic effect postexercise in both intensity ranges.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/fasted-cardio-eats-muscle
https://breakingmuscle.com/learn/debunking-the-myth-of-fasted-cardio

Good article from Brad Schoenfeld

Horowitz and colleagues [2] found that when trained subjects exercised at 50 percent of their max heart rate, an intensity that equates to a slow walk, there was no difference in the amount of fat burned--regardless of whether the subjects had eaten.

These results held true for the first 90 minutes of exercise; only after this period did fasted cardio begin producing a favorable shift in the amount of fat burned.

So unless you're willing and able to slave away on the treadmill for a couple of hours or more, fasted cardio provides no additional fat-burning benefits, irrespective of training intensity.

Fasted cardio makes even less sense when you take into account the impact of excess post-exercise oxygen consumption. EPOC, commonly referred to as the "afterburn," represents the number of calories expended after training. Guess what? Eating before exercise promotes substantial increases in EPOC

And guess where the vast majority of calories expended in the post-exercise period come from? You got it, fat!

Take Home Message
"More epoc equals more fat burned. This favors eating prior to performing cardio."

There's also the intensity factor to consider. Research indicates that high-intensity interval training is more effective than steady-state cardio for fat loss (Bill Phillips actually recommended HIIT as the preferred type of cardio in his book).

Ever try to engage in HIIT session on an empty stomach? Bet you hit the wall pretty quick. In order to perform at a high level, your body needs a ready source of glycogen; deplete those stores and say goodbye to elevated training intensity.

The net result is that fewer calories are burned both during and after exercise, thereby diminishing total fat loss.

On top of everything, fasted cardio can have a catabolic effect on muscle. Studies show that training in a glycogen-depleted state substantially increases the amount of tissue proteins burned for energy during exercise (4).

Protein losses can exceed 10 percent of the total calories burned over the course of a one-hour cardio session -- more than double that of training in the fed state (5).

Any way you slice it, sacrificing hard-earned muscle in a futile attempt to burn a few extra calories from fat doesn't make a lick lot of sense--especially if you're a bodybuilder!

To Cardio Or Not To Cardio Before Breakfast

Summing up, the strategy to perform cardio on an empty stomach is misguided, particularly for physique athletes.

At best, the effects on body composition won't be any better than if you trained in a fed state; at worst, you'll lose muscle and reduce total fat loss. So if you should eat…what should you eat prior to cardio?

The answer depends on several factors, including the duration and intensity of training, the timing of previous meals before the cardio session, and individual genetics.

A good rule of thumb is to consume approximately 1/4 gram of carbohydrate and 1/8 gram of protein per pound of your ideal bodyweight (which may differ from your actual weight).

For example, if your ideal bodyweight is 200 pounds, then your pre-workout meal should consist of approximately 50 grams of carbs and 25 grams of protein. A shake made of natural fruit juice and whey protein is a good option, particularly if cardio is done early in the morning before breakfast.

Of course, individual response to macronutrient intake will vary, so use this recommendation as a starting point, and adjust accordingly.

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
Only thing with "Fasted" Cardio is it really doesn't hold any benefit over fed cardio. At the end of the day doing your cardio is what matters most. Being in a fasted state truly dosse not provide any positive results or scientific feedback.

http://forum.simplyshredded.com/topic/2209/layne-smashes-the-myth-of-fasted-cardio/
https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-014-0054-7

Conclusion

In conclusion, our findings indicate that body composition changes associated with aerobic exercise in conjunction with a hypocaloric diet are similar regardless whether or not an individual is fasted prior to training. Hence, those seeking to lose body fat conceivably can choose to train either before or after eating based on preference. It should be noted that given the small sample size and short study duration, we cannot rule out the possibility that either condition might confer a small benefit over the other with respect to fat loss. Further study is warranted in a longer term trial with a greater number of participants.

No difference....

http://www.simplyshredded.com/myths-under-the-microscope-fasted-low-intense-cardio.html

Fed subjects consistently experience a greater thermic effect postexercise in both intensity ranges.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/fasted-cardio-eats-muscle
https://breakingmuscle.com/learn/debunking-the-myth-of-fasted-cardio

Horowitz and colleagues [2] found that when trained subjects exercised at 50 percent of their max heart rate, an intensity that equates to a slow walk, there was no difference in the amount of fat burned--regardless of whether the subjects had eaten.

These results held true for the first 90 minutes of exercise; only after this period did fasted cardio begin producing a favorable shift in the amount of fat burned.

So unless you're willing and able to slave away on the treadmill for a couple of hours or more, fasted cardio provides no additional fat-burning benefits, irrespective of training intensity.

Fasted cardio makes even less sense when you take into account the impact of excess post-exercise oxygen consumption. EPOC, commonly referred to as the "afterburn," represents the number of calories expended after training. Guess what? Eating before exercise promotes substantial increases in EPOC

And guess where the vast majority of calories expended in the post-exercise period come from? You got it, fat!

Take Home Message
"More epoc equals more fat burned. This favors eating prior to performing cardio."

There's also the intensity factor to consider. Research indicates that high-intensity interval training is more effective than steady-state cardio for fat loss (Bill Phillips actually recommended HIIT as the preferred type of cardio in his book).

Ever try to engage in HIIT session on an empty stomach? Bet you hit the wall pretty quick. In order to perform at a high level, your body needs a ready source of glycogen; deplete those stores and say goodbye to elevated training intensity.

The net result is that fewer calories are burned both during and after exercise, thereby diminishing total fat loss.

On top of everything, fasted cardio can have a catabolic effect on muscle. Studies show that training in a glycogen-depleted state substantially increases the amount of tissue proteins burned for energy during exercise (4).

Protein losses can exceed 10 percent of the total calories burned over the course of a one-hour cardio session -- more than double that of training in the fed state (5).

Any way you slice it, sacrificing hard-earned muscle in a futile attempt to burn a few extra calories from fat doesn't make a lick lot of sense--especially if you're a bodybuilder!

Summing up, the strategy to perform cardio on an empty stomach is misguided, particularly for physique athletes.

At best, the effects on body composition won't be any better than if you trained in a fed state; at worst, you'll lose muscle and reduce total fat loss. So if you should eat…what should you eat prior to cardio?

The answer depends on several factors, including the duration and intensity of training, the timing of previous meals before the cardio session, and individual genetics.

A good rule of thumb is to consume approximately 1/4 gram of carbohydrate and 1/8 gram of protein per pound of your ideal bodyweight (which may differ from your actual weight).

For example, if your ideal bodyweight is 200 pounds, then your pre-workout meal should consist of approximately 50 grams of carbs and 25 grams of protein. A shake made of natural fruit juice and whey protein is a good option, particularly if cardio is done early in the morning before breakfast.

Of course, individual response to macronutrient intake will vary, so use this recommendation as a starting point, and adjust accordingly.
Well, food for thought! I will have to put some thought into my cardio and meal timing.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
On Joe Rogan's podcast Dr. Rhonda Pattrick talked about benefits of fasting, she prescribed to a 10-12 eating window...I don't remember everything she said but she made it sound like the fasting was beneficial for fat loss but also muscle gain....like the fasting had it's own benefits

while I don't prescribe to fasting windows I sort of fit into the window she talks about, I eat my first meal around 8am and my last meal after the gym around 7pm....but like now I'm working overtime and going to the gym after work so if I eat my meal at 8:30 I'm not going not eat after the gym, I'm usually starving

I still like the idea of spacing protein throughout the day in order to get the most benefit from protein synthesis and controlling overall calories instead of magic eating times

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
One thing that i think a lot of people forget when they get involved in this "fasting vs no fasting" argument is the other areas of life that this could be beneficial to people. To say that "fasting has no benefits over not fasting" is simply not true. For muscle building or fat loss, i believe the overwhelming amount of data shows that fasting does not have an advantage when calories are equal/controlled. But, there are MANY other areas where fasting could be beneficial, including areas ranging as far as cancer treatment (fasting + chemo shown to be more effective then fasting or chemo alone - at least in one study i read several years ago). Now I realize that we're on a fitness forum and are generally talking about body composition changes or performance, but i don't like the blanket statement with the bottom line of "there are no differences".

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Hiya, I've been trying intermittent fasting over the last few weeks on a 16/8 schedule with great results and was wondering if changing to normal eating over the weekends will affect weight loss much? Bearing in mind caloric intake will still be the same, I just won't be waiting until 12pm for my first meal
OP was wondering if calories are the same and he doesn't fast for 2 days if it will make a difference.
So in the grand scheme of things his answer is no.

One thing that i think a lot of people forget when they get involved in this "fasting vs no fasting" argument is the other areas of life that this could be beneficial to people.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It wasnt directed at anyone in particular, bob. Just a general statement.

Fasted

Awards
  • Established
So your saying its smart to just eat 1 meal a day? Or that fasting has benefits over spaced out meals assuming caloric intake is balanced? Not there is not.. Just because you eat in a 6 or 8 hour window doesn't mean anything. These are numbers, they are guidelines, and they are personal preferences. Just like if you want to eat 1-2-3-4-5 meals a day. ALL Personal preference.
/PMC3488566/[/url]
]
These are just a few articles

If one eats, it won't take them out of a "Fat Burning zone" please relate to me how that is possible if one is eating in a caloric deficit regardless if they eat 1 to 6 times a day? It won't make a difference because simply the body will not have enough calories to be in a surplus or at maintenance. The individual will be burning fat due to a prolonged deficit over a prolonged period of time. If eating every 3 hours is bad, please tell me why so many bodybuilders who practice that amount of meals per day still come in ripped and peeled in bodybuilding shows every single week across the country? Again total intake per day.....
One of the biggest draws to fasting are the assumed hormonal benefits. Spiking insulin several times a day vs once is supposed to allow the body to produce maximal t and HGH by keeping insulin low for long periods. I think it works based on my experience, but I haven't gotten my numbers tested.

]

Conclusion

No difference....

]

Take Home Message

I agree with this. As a matter of fact, I found I lost a good amount of muscle.training intensity fasted before I knew better. Only Liss in a fasted state. Fat can't provide the output needed for intense workouts.

OP was wondering if calories are the same and he doesn't fast for 2 days if it will make a difference.
So in the grand scheme of things his answer is no.
The biggest thing to worry about is when you fast one often conditions oneself to binge. I agree, if calories are consistent any difference should be slight if at all, but I have a hard time keeping my calories down during non fasting days.

I have 2 "feeding" days where I concentrate my intense working out and five days on a 4-6 hour window. I try to keep all carbs complex and natural and consume with protien and fiber. I think that is as helpful as fasting for keeping insulin from spiking. But there IS something to fasting.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
One of the biggest draws to fasting are the assumed hormonal benefits. Spiking insulin several times a day vs once is supposed to allow the body to produce maximal t and HGH by keeping insulin low for long periods. I think it works based on my experience, but I haven't gotten my numbers tested.

I agree with this. As a matter of fact, I found I lost a good amount of muscle.training intensity fasted before I knew better. Only Liss in a fasted state. Fat can't provide the output needed for intense workouts.
Small insulin spikes vs a very LARGE insulin spike is a major difference here.
Your also not comparing how much fasting does not help muscle protein synthesis. if you eat once a day you are totally negating the body's ability and P-Ratio to overturn protein and metabolize it. Nutrient timing does matter, and negating eating all day for one large meal is not the best idea from a MPS Standpoint. Sure to some its "Convenient" but in the grand scheme of things does it have all the benefits it claims? Not 100%.There could be more then one way to get things done. You could be seeing better results by altering your nutrition and meal frequency, while caloric intake is still the same.

The biggest drawback I see from Fasting and IF is exactly what you said.. Eating disorders.... People will go on bad binges, or disordered eating patterns because they have to wait X or Y hours to eat. When in the grand scheme of things fasting for 14 hours or 20 hours wont make a difference at the end of the day when calories are met.

Fasted

Awards
  • Established
Small insulin spikes vs a very LARGE insulin spike is a major difference here.
Your also not comparing how much fasting does not help muscle protein synthesis. if you eat once a day you are totally negating the body's ability and P-Ratio to overturn protein and metabolize it. Nutrient timing does matter, and negating eating all day for one large meal is not the best idea from a MPS Standpoint. Sure to some its "Convenient" but in the grand scheme of things does it have all the benefits it claims? Not 100%.There could be more then one way to get things done. You could be seeing better results by altering your nutrition and meal frequency, while caloric intake is still the same.

The biggest drawback I see from Fasting and IF is exactly what you said.. Eating disorders.... People will go on bad binges, or disordered eating patterns because they have to wait X or Y hours to eat. When in the grand scheme of things fasting for 14 hours or 20 hours wont make a difference at the end of the day when calories are met.
Do you think if one eats a large meal balanced with protien, fiber and complex carbs it would spike insulin much more than a small meal of the same nutritional profile? That's something worth thinking about(that sounds condescending, It's making ME think).

I also will agree that fasting can get in the way of muscle gains. It's taken me a long time to hone my diet so that I can fast and gain muscle. Of course, I've lost less fat than when I first started because of it, but I'm OK with slow and steady now.

I was a wrestler, so I've never known how not to binge. Don't have time to eat well during the work week, so IM has been a great tool for me. I don't have what it takes to be a meal prepper. But as far as having no benefits, I never thought I would Intermittent fast permanently, but I felt so good after adjusting to it I believe in it now. Of course all bodies are different. No matter what tool/method and philosophy one has in their diet, it takes time to hone and make it perfect for the individual body. Fasting may be better for one person while small meals better for another. It's what works with your body and lifestyle and what you are able to maintain and feel good doing.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Do you think if one eats a large meal balanced with protien, fiber and complex carbs it would spike insulin much more than a small meal of the same nutritional profile? That's something worth thinking about(that sounds condescending, It's making ME think).
If you eat 2000 calories, and eat it in one meal. Do you realize how large that spike will be compared to a 400 calorie meal? Much smaller. That is pretty common sense here.

Don't have time to eat well during the work week, so IM has been a great tool for me. I don't have what it takes to be a meal prepper. .
Actually you do. Because it doesnt take long to food prep.
Throw chicken in the crockpot and leave it sit while you at work
Bulk Rice takes 5 minutes on the stove
Bake potatoes for 1 hour and you have plenty for 3-4 days.
Overnihght oats --> Yogurt + Whey + oats takes 30 seconds to mix and let it sit in the fridge and take with you to work
Trail Mix, Granola, Rice Cakes, Dried Fruit/Fresh fruit, beef jerkey, string cheese, cans of chicken/tuna, ezekiel bread, english muffins , nut butters= Easy snacks
hard boiled eggs takes a matter of minutes to cook on your stovetop

Wake up 20 minutes earlier or stay up a little later and you can prep 6-8 meals in a matter of minutes. People who say they can't meal prep are not taking the effort to do so