Quick Carb Intake Question

TyMan14

TyMan14

Awards
  • Established
Hi guys!

I am currently doing Jim Stoppani's shortcut to shred (I've done it many times in the past and it has worked wonders), but this time around, I am much more strict on my food intake. After 2 years of inadequate nutrition and too much alcohol, I have really done a number on my physique. I have stayed training 5-6 days a week this whole time, but without proper nutrition, and drinking all of the time, I have destroyed years worth of what I had worked 4 years before for. It's time to get my old physique back.

So I did starting measurements last Monday being the first day of the program. I was at 22% bodyfat (highest I've been in 5 years), so I am more motivated than ever going in. I am following his nutrition guidelines which are 1.5g protein/lb and .5g fat/lb. However the carbs vary over the 6 weeks. The first week is 1.5g/lb, then 2-3 is 1g/lb, and finally 4-6 is .5g/lb. This has my calories starting at almost 3900 week one, 3450 weeks 2-3, and about 3k 5-6. This caloric guideline has worked well every time I have ran this program.

However, I have never consistently done it with the .5g of carbs in the last 3 weeks. I was always going over and lowering protein to compensate(but hitting my daily calorie goal every time). I'm finding with my current foods, I am going a bit over on fats, and hitting the others relatively closely (still staying within my allotted calories for the day). My issue is, I have NEVER been able to function well on low carbs. Especially with a program that is so cardio based.

My question is, will dropping carbs that low in the last 3 weeks (refeed day once a week on sundays with 1.5g/lb) actually be that important or could I lower protein a bit to compensate? I feel better with more carbs, and honestly, I can't really afford as much lean protein as I can complex carbs (on that college budget). Could I do for example, 1g protein, 1g carbs, .5g fats and still get the same or extremely similar results? I have always done it that way in the past, but I am wondering if I am missing out on the physique benefit of going low carb. I've always bounced around on my opinion of carb intake, so its time I get it figured out and knock this cut out of the park. I am going to continue cutting to 10%, but shooting for a good 3-5% on this program in the 6 weeks (which I have done in the past).

Thanks guys!

MaximusMuscle

MaximusMuscle

Awards
Congratulations for getting back on track. Everyone's body is different and we all respond differently to different styles of food intake, some more than others. I've personally found that the lower my carbs get my mood gets less stable, my energy is low and concentration is poor. "Moderate carb" intake for me is what seems best which is about the 1.5g/pound of body weight that you mentioned for the first week of the program.
I'm sure some would say a serious cut of course comes with the side effects I mentioned and it's all a part of it, but I've had great results with eating wholesome foods and just hitting my calories without "too much" emphasis on hitting macros precisely. Of course you don't want 75% of your diet carbs, but eating sensibly at every meal will help.
I recently watched a video featuring John Meadows where he talks about cutting like playing cards. You have many cards I.e. Drop calories, increase calories, drugs, supplementation, intermittent fasting, etc. He explains that while each one of these "cards" individually is a great way to lose weight using them all at the same time leads to burnout and fatigue and this statement of his mirrors my own experience. Oftentimes we go so balls to the wall that we focus more on this number and this way than we do about the long term goal and we suffer by losing energy and dive and ultimately giving up. Some can do it, but I would say most have trouble.
If your cutting alcohol, props to you, that's a great decision, but make that decision and play that card. Implement clean diet and eat in a calorie deficit. Sorry for the rant. Don't stress too much it sounds like your doing right and if your still losing on 1 - 1.5g/lb of carbs then why change it? Save the low carb for when you actually need to implement it as a tool. Have a good day and keep it up brother.
-Max

TyMan14

TyMan14

Awards
  • Established
Congratulations for getting back on track. Everyone's body is different and we all respond differently to different styles of food intake, some more than others. I've personally found that the lower my carbs get my mood gets less stable, my energy is low and concentration is poor. "Moderate carb" intake for me is what seems best which is about the 1.5g/pound of body weight that you mentioned for the first week of the program.
I'm sure some would say a serious cut of course comes with the side effects I mentioned and it's all a part of it, but I've had great results with eating wholesome foods and just hitting my calories without "too much" emphasis on hitting macros precisely. Of course you don't want 75% of your diet carbs, but eating sensibly at every meal will help.
I recently watched a video featuring John Meadows where he talks about cutting like playing cards. You have many cards I.e. Drop calories, increase calories, drugs, supplementation, intermittent fasting, etc. He explains that while each one of these "cards" individually is a great way to lose weight using them all at the same time leads to burnout and fatigue and this statement of his mirrors my own experience. Oftentimes we go so balls to the wall that we focus more on this number and this way than we do about the long term goal and we suffer by losing energy and dive and ultimately giving up. Some can do it, but I would say most have trouble.
If your cutting alcohol, props to you, that's a great decision, but make that decision and play that card. Implement clean diet and eat in a calorie deficit. Sorry for the rant. Don't stress too much it sounds like your doing right and if your still losing on 1 - 1.5g/lb of carbs then why change it? Save the low carb for when you actually need to implement it as a tool. Have a good day and keep it up brother.
-Max
Nice response! I have lots of experience with dieting over the years (lost over 90 pounds on my first go round) but the macro aspect is one that is so heavily debated I thought I'd post up and see what people are saying. Scale weight isn't changing to much on 1g/lb but can definitely see the difference in the mirror. I think I'll just stick with that amount until the changes/scale weight stop coming. Thanks for the response!