My introduction to the forum and seeking advice (Maximus Muscle)

MaximusMuscle

MaximusMuscle

Awards
Hello everyone my name is Max. I've been creeping the forums here for years now and taking notes. I finally decided to put my information up for scrutiny and growth through constructive criticism. This will serve as my introduction.

I started lifting on and off when I was 14 in my room doing bodyweight exercises and lifting old tool bags full of tools and benching my 75watt guitar amp until I got a handed down weight set from a neighbor. When I was 18 I joined the Marine Corps and fitness was everything and I reached new levels of cardiovascular fitness I had never experienced. I also began chasing mass soon after. Before and after basic training I weighed a solid 156 pounds at 5 foot 11 inches.

Within two years I gained 40 pounds and weighed 195 at 16% body fat. The chase for more mass continued. Yes, I was very uneducated eating everything in sight. By 2014 I weighed 235 pounds at 18% body fat. That's an 80 pound increase from my seemingly immovable 156 lb self. In the Corps cardiovascular was everyday almost and normally sporadically throughout the day and sweating profusely was the normal. Sadly, the Marine Corps operated on BMI to gauge health aside from physical performance so sadly I was “overweight” and had to constantly do cardio and chill on the weights. I put on mass very easily.

Close to getting out of the Corps I was placed on medications that made me lethargic and moody and my training took a back seat for a year. I stopped all my poisonous medications in mid 2016 and did a super cleanse and lost 35 pounds. I then started dieting and got down to 198. The body fat just didn't seem to leave though especially from the stomach area. In November of 2016 I started training heavily again with “cutting" in mind. I eat in a caloric deficit, consuming 2,010 calories (Maintenance would be 2,477 according to online calculators) so that’s about 450 calorie deficit, with a 35p/40c/25f macro split and I seem to be very slowly losing weight but getting leaner looking every day.

I also practice Intermittent Fasting and have found it great for me and my overall energy levels. I am also bipolar and I had to learn the hard way that my schedule, sleep and nutrition have to be in perfect order to control mood swings as best as possible. Luckily this attitude seems to be working well for my fitness and physique goals. My eating window is 8am to 4pm(8 eating 16 fasted) I know it’s strange, but I’m a stay at home dad and train about at 530 every morning so that window fits perfectly for me and my lifestyle. I get at least 8 hours of sleep (8pm to 430 am) during the week and maybe 9 or 10 on weekends if I’m lucky.

I've reached a point where fat has left or is leaving most areas except the lower stomach, but the fat around the hips and stomach has become soft and squishy like it's filled with water. After noticing this and reading and about it I found this was normal and a good sign as the fat cells have shrunk and filled with water. Fat left my arms first, then thighs, then calves, now it’s slowly leaving my chest and I’m soon hoping my lower stomach. Definitely pumped to have a lower bodyfat percentage.

For training I do Jim Stoppani’s Shortcut to Size and do low and slow walking after most sessions if time permits. On 2 of my "off” days I do HIIT and for the 3rd off day I just chill, maybe walk. Training or not I hit the same macros every single day and if I eat out I log my meal in My Fitness Pal and I order sensibly and frugally. I always drink atleast 3 liters of water, but more common is a gallon a day. Now, I know shortcut to size should probably be done at maintenance levels or surplus levels, but I love the damn thing and have gotten stronger and maintained energy levels and gained muscle or at least toned up. My shirts are fitting tighter despite becoming leaner so I'll take this as a good sign. After reading the forums for so long and falling victim to "paralysis by analysis" many times I've learned to just try the tested methods and see for yourself then adjust after experimentation to fit your needs. Idk how many times I've sat here in the forums taking notes with multiple tabs open only to scratch it and start over then ending up not doing any of that. Just do the damn thing!

I'm open to healthy criticism. If anyone wants to help me out I'd be happy to post my major lifts, the foods I eat, supplements, history, stats or anything else. Any serious advice is welcomed. Now I must go crush legs today. Thanks guys. I can't wait to hear from you all. :wavey:

P.S. I couldnt find another spot to put this so I chose a relevant section. Thanks.

EDIT: Here's more info concerning my current program.

Nutrition
I use My Fitness Pal to track everything I eat.
Total calories: 2,010
Macro goal: 40 carb/35 protein/ 25 fat (I usually come reasonably close)

Example day of eating:
Wake up at 0430
Train 5-7 fasted
Eat breakfast at about 0730
Greens supplement (It Works)
1/4 cup Lifeway Kefir with 1 TSP local Bee Pollen
4 OZ Turkey breast
4 whole large eggs cooked in 1 tsp unrefined virgin coconut oil
2 tbsp peanut butter
1 banana
1 cup baby spinach
Total cal: 790
Carbs: 45
Fat: 41
Protein: 64

Lunch
4 oz turkey breast
1/2 cup sauerkraut
8 oz v8 juice high fiber w/ tsp 90k cayenne
1/2 green apple
Kombucha 16 oz
1 cup kale
Total cal: 312
Carbs: 44
Fat: 1
Protein: 31

Snack: Plant based protein shake
Cal: 100
Carb: 5
Fat: 2
Protein: 14

Dinner
White potato: 133.3 g
Chuck roast 7 oz
Total cal: 505
Carbs: 25
Fat: 26
Protein: 41

This is a pretty typical day and things change around quite a bit. I don't prep normally because I have the luxury of cooking the food when I need it. Also, I RARELY use a protein shake of any kind from a day to day basis. My nutrients come from whole foods. Not that their horrible, but personally I have never had any noticeable benefits from years of using them.

Supplements:
D-Aspartic Acid 3.12g (just started last week)
Razor 8 Blast Power Pre-Workout
Alphasurge NO supp
It Works Vita Pak (multi,mineral,omega)
Creatine 5 grams/day
ZMX (ZMA)
Melatonin 10 mg

Training
I'm currently doing Shortcut to Size and am on day 36 of the program. I do it mostly by the book for now with maybe 1 of the rest days being something I noticed that I need work on, but I try to force myself to just do some HIIT instead of an extra day lifting, but sometimes it's hard to stop myself. Most rest days I do sprints/walk for 15-20 minutes along situps. I might add in other body weight exercises if im feeling froggy. I always walk atleast 10 minutes after my weight training and I could continue that for up to an hour.

I hope that helps to paint a better picture.

Last edited:
john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your progress so far. If you're still making progress, just keep going. The last bit of body fat will always be the hardest to lose, so it will demand the most out of you.

It would be helpful to post up a brief overview of your training and nutrition.

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I agree with john.patterson here. Great job on the results thus far, but just keep on pushing. That last bit(the bit ai havent ridded of yet) is indeed the hardest and sometimes the slightest bit of adjustment, whether in diet or training can be what is needed. There are several logs going on where you can get some great tips and motivation. Jump in and ask questions. Welcome to the forum!!