How to continue after a long diet?

rodherm

Awards
  • Established
I want to start preparing myself mentally for what ia coming my way after a long diet. I know losing the weight is hard but is probably only half of the equation if you can't keep it off. So here I am trying to think ahead and collect some good advise.

Started dieting in mid October and lost 24kgs till now mainly by adding some exercise (not much, but used to do zero before!). I assume I still have some 5-8kgs to lose to be in an 'acceptable' shape. That would definitely not be single digit BF but would have taken me from 40% or more to below 15%. Now question is: how do I cut the diet gradually so that I do not risk of a quick rebound and gaining it all back?

I have read about the reverse dieting but am not really sure how effective nor how to do it. Probably there are better things out there. I am fully clear that main change needs to be in my habits, but what else can I do to help? For example start adding a few days a week at maintenance and rest still at a deficit, or keep taking some fat burner although not in a deficit anymore, etc.

Finally, and maybe not the ideal sub-forum but I would like start putting some more muscle and be able to see some quick wina/gains to keep me going. Not because I want to take a shorcut but because I acknowledged that seeing the results is my main motivation to keep me going! This was the case with the weight loss. So what would you recommend for that? I have never taken any supps on this regards and must admit I am a bit ignorant on the topic so if redirecting me to read some link would make it easier please feel free to do so.

Once again thanks guys!!

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Reverse diet by adding 200cal/day every week or every second week. At the same time, increase your training volume. Do this until u hit ur maintenance then start chasing PRs. You should notice your strength return pretty quickly.

fitfreak_CP

fitfreak_CP

Awards
The biggest thing after a diet or even contest prep is to slowly add in calories and slowly decrease cardio to grow but not gain much fat.

Example: Coming off a show enjoy yourself for a day or two and then get back on your diet you had the week before your peak week. You can still have a meal out once a day but keep it to your diet. Get your cardio close to what it was. For example if doing fasted cardio 45 min and post workout 30 mins keep cardio fasted at 40-45 mins and post workout maybe 20 mins. The. Slowly taper that down week by week judging off the mirror and scale.

rodherm

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys, look like reverse dieting is then the way to go. Any other advise?

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
The only advise is the strait forward advise, just don't overeat while you're bouncing back from the cutting phase.

You are going to hold more water as you re-introduce more calories, and it is a mental struggle with people out to improve their physiques, certainly coming off of a contest diet. Just don't let it effect you as best you can and stick to your planned numbers which should be a slow increase IMO.

Know your target caloric intake for maintenance and close the gap gradually