Olympic Lifts for Cardio

hulkamaniac54

Awards
I don't want to go full cross-fit. But what are the thoughts on doing cleans and snatches daily for cardio and and weight loss. Of course diet needs to be in check but would this be a better option than getting on the eliptical for an hour?

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I like if you did lighter weight for high reps that would be a good substitute. I wouldn't do it everyday though. I would switch back and forth from the elipitical and the olympic lifts. Doing snatches everyday would blow your shoulders eventually.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Implement Kettlebell circuits instead.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I don't want to go full cross-fit. But what are the thoughts on doing cleans and snatches daily for cardio and and weight loss. Of course diet needs to be in check but would this be a better option than getting on the eliptical for an hour?
Read up on barbell complexes. I've incorporated them in the past as cardio and has great success. I would choose a weight you're comfortable with and don't over-do it. I normally use a weight that would challenging for 15+ reps, and I'll stick in the 10-12 rep range.

It's defnitely a good option to add in instead of always defaulting to traditional cardio, just make sure your form is in check and don't go super heavy. Doing Olympic lifts for time (aka crossfit) with heavy weight while in a calorie deficit is just an accident waiting to happen IMO.