CUTTING ADVICE!

Fit4LifeMike

Fit4LifeMike

Awards
Okay so I can cut weight and all, I've dropped from 202 down to 189! From January 2nd to today( Feb. 19)
Now I kinda feel like I'm coming to a plateau in my weight loss here.. I may be wrong but I wanted some advice or tips on what y'all think I should change or be doing differently.
I'm 5'6" also!

My macros are:
2600 Calories
255g protein
223g carbs
71g fat

Now like I said I did drop a great amount of weight and kept a lot of my muscle but I'm feeling stuck.
Anything I should change??
Would LOVE SOME FEEDBACK!
Thanks!

xanderjd

Awards
Close to the same at 6'0. Down to 220 from 260. Thinking about dropping the carbs since I keep hearing that might be kinda high

Plus, I might drop my calories to around 1700

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Okay so I can cut weight and all, I've dropped from 202 down to 189! From January 2nd to today( Feb. 19)
Now I kinda feel like I'm coming to a plateau in my weight loss here.. I may be wrong but I wanted some advice or tips on what y'all think I should change or be doing differently.
I'm 5'6" also!

My macros are:
2600 Calories
255g protein
223g carbs
71g fat

Now like I said I did drop a great amount of weight and kept a lot of my muscle but I'm feeling stuck.
Thanks!
Congrats on the progress so far. If you're feeling stuck, chances are you need to either decrease calorie intake (eat less) or increase calorie expenditure (add cardio). Looking at your macros and body weight, I would say your protein is a little high. Dropping protein back to 200-210g per day would be more than sufficient for your body weight.

Also keep in mind that as you lose weight your body will require less calories to maintain your current weight. So eating 2600 may have worked while you were dropping from 202 to 189, but you can't continue to lose weight on the same amount of calories forever. I would recommend lowering your calorie intake by 200-300 and see how that works. Start by lowering protein a bit, 255g (1,020 calories) to 200g (800 calories) should be a good start, and then consider cutting out some carbs from there.

What does your current training and cardio look like each week?

Fit4LifeMike

Fit4LifeMike

Awards
Congrats on the progress so far. If you're feeling stuck, chances are you need to either decrease calorie intake (eat less) or increase calorie expenditure (add cardio). Looking at your macros and body weight, I would say your protein is a little high. Dropping protein back to 200-210g per day would be more than sufficient for your body weight.

Also keep in mind that as you lose weight your body will require less calories to maintain your current weight. So eating 2600 may have worked while you were dropping from 202 to 189, but you can't continue to lose weight on the same amount of calories forever. I would recommend lowering your calorie intake by 200-300 and see how that works. Start by lowering protein a bit, 255g (1,020 calories) to 200g (800 calories) should be a good start, and then consider cutting out some carbs from there.

What does your current training and cardio look like each week?
Thanks man! See I was thinking the same thing. The only reason I have my proteins so high is to make sure I don't lose my muscle. I'm just over protecting them wanting them to NOT go away haha
And I might just do that.
And my training consists of weightlifting Mon-Fri.
And I TRY to do some Fasted Cardio when I have the time in the morning.(but I maybe get it in once or twice per week) but just this week I've done cardio 5x on the stair master but only around 15-20 minutes every time. Idk if this is too much cardio or honestly not enough.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Thanks man! See I was thinking the same thing. The only reason I have my proteins so high is to make sure I don't lose my muscle. I'm just over protecting them wanting them to NOT go away haha
And I might just do that.
And my training consists of weightlifting Mon-Fri.
And I TRY to do some Fasted Cardio when I have the time in the morning.(but I maybe get it in once or twice per week) but just this week I've done cardio 5x on the stair master but only around 15-20 minutes every time. Idk if this is too much cardio or honestly not enough.
I wouldn't fear muscle loss and try to overcompensate with excess protein intake. If you're staying consistent with lifting heavy and you're eating at least 1g per pound of bodyweight in protein, 1.2-1.3 if you're really concerned, then you'll be fine. Some muscle loss is inevitable while dieting, but if you keep the weights heavy and nutrition in check you shouldn't lose much.

If you want to keep protein at 250, you could always scale back carbs a bit. Consider lowering carbs to 190-200g per day and see how that goes. With cardio, I would try to keep in consistent. For starters I would commit to 2-3 days per week of 20 minutes of cardio. Don't yo-yo back and forth doing 5 cardio days one week and 2 the next. It'll make progress hard to track, and it'll make your results inconsistent. I would start on the low side, and add in an extra day or add 5-10 mins per session as needed to keep the scale moving

fitfreak_CP

fitfreak_CP

Awards
You could increase the cardio, add some protein and drop carbs for a while. Adding the protein will help keep the muscle and also cut out carbs in the evening/night.

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
You could opt for a keto type diet, it's very muscle sparing and turns you into a fat burning machine if done properly! If not a high fat, high protein, low carb diet! Dropping carbs seems to be a dead sure way to help with fat loss, ask pros to nutritionists. Info on keto http://www.ruled.me/guide-keto-diet/ but if you want to keep the same sort of diet, I'd suggest refeeds to help with lepton levels and drop your calories when loss comes to a halt, I've been on a long winded cut for 3 months now, I'm doing keto but I haven't changed my calories and I'm still losing weight, I have a big chest meal after my Sunday training which has helped me massively! Mentally and physically

Fit4LifeMike

Fit4LifeMike

Awards
I wouldn't fear muscle loss and try to overcompensate with excess protein intake. If you're staying consistent with lifting heavy and you're eating at least 1g per pound of bodyweight in protein, 1.2-1.3 if you're really concerned, then you'll be fine. Some muscle loss is inevitable while dieting, but if you keep the weights heavy and nutrition in check you shouldn't lose much.

If you want to keep protein at 250, you could always scale back carbs a bit. Consider lowering carbs to 190-200g per day and see how that goes. With cardio, I would try to keep in consistent. For starters I would commit to 2-3 days per week of 20 minutes of cardio. Don't yo-yo back and forth doing 5 cardio days one week and 2 the next. It'll make progress hard to track, and it'll make your results inconsistent. I would start on the low side, and add in an extra day or add 5-10 mins per session as needed to keep the scale moving
Okay so this is what I can get my macros at right now without eating empty calories from cutting my proteins!

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Okay so this is what I can get my macros at right now without eating empty calories from cutting my proteins!
If it were up to me, I would flip your carb and fat percentages. I prefer to eat more carbs if I can, so I would aim for 20% fats and 40% protein. 20-25% fat is the lowest you should go with fat intake for prolonged periods, but you'll probably have more energy and feel better if you're able to eat more carbs.

Protein is still a bit high too IMO, but you can keep it there if you'd like. I would adjust your macros to 35%protein (210g), 40% carb(240g), and 25% fat(67g). This is just my opinion though, this is what I would do. See what others say too.

Fit4LifeMike

Fit4LifeMike

Awards
If it were up to me, I would flip your carb and fat percentages. I prefer to eat more carbs if I can, so I would aim for 20% fats and 40% protein. 20-25% fat is the lowest you should go with fat intake for prolonged periods, but you'll probably have more energy and feel better if you're able to eat more carbs.

Protein is still a bit high too IMO, but you can keep it there if you'd like. I would adjust your macros to 35%protein (210g), 40% carb(240g), and 25% fat(67g). This is just my opinion though, this is what I would do. See what others say too.
Alright I'll see how that goes! Also what should I be dropping my carbs to if I wanna carb cycle. Also the guy above is talking about a keto diet? What are your thoughts on that?

Fit4LifeMike

Fit4LifeMike

Awards
How well does this keto diet work tho! And how do you function with such little carbs? Lol

rodherm

Awards
  • Established
For me personally it worked well to go to a very low carb diet for some time but I am also under 2'000 calories right now to have a 500+ calories deficit

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Alright I'll see how that goes! Also what should I be dropping my carbs to if I wanna carb cycle. Also the guy above is talking about a keto diet? What are your thoughts on that?
For carb cycling, I try not to overcomplicate it. My breakdown for carb cycling is to eat less carbs on rest days/light lifting days, and increase fats a bit. So, for example, if you're normall eating 240g carb and 67g fat, you could cut carb intake to 140g on rest days and increase fat by 20g or so. Everyone has a different strategy for carb cycling, but I will usually use my "low carb" days to create a larger calorie deficit. Some choose to add back all of the calories from the lower carb intake and add them to their fat or protein intake for that day.

Keto is an effective diet strategy, but for most people it's an unsustainable way of eating and it makes any type of social setting very challenging. A ketogenic diet is implemented by restricting carbohydrate from the body, and increasing fat intake. By restricting carbs (eating less than 25g carb per day) your body is forced to use another source for fuel, so it begins to produce ketones and use fat as its primary energy source.

I've done keto before, and it does work, but I would much prefer a balanced diet over keto. You will look very flat and depleted on a ketogenic diet, and your performance will suffer. If that's a price you're willing to pay, then definitely give it a try. But keep in mind that you are veeery limited to the amounts of carbs you can consume, and eating too many carbs will knock you out of ketosis.

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
How well does this keto diet work tho! And how do you function with such little carbs? Lol
It's been proven many times you lose more weight on a high fat low carb over high carb low fat! It's more muscle sparing because your body prefers ketones over gluscose for energy, since ketones are made from fat you become a lot more self sufficient, no more energy crashes! The switch over is the hard bit, while your enzymes change from using carbs for energy to fat but you can read about all that if you're interested! Now performance, your over all gym performance may dwindle a bit in the rep department but not in the strength, you won't be full up on glucose to push those extra reps all the time but I've never lost any strength! Plus you're trying to lose weight not concentrate on hypertrophy!

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
For carb cycling, I try not to overcomplicate it. My breakdown for carb cycling is to eat less carbs on rest days/light lifting days, and increase fats a bit. So, for example, if you're normall eating 240g carb and 67g fat, you could cut carb intake to 140g on rest days and increase fat by 20g or so. Everyone has a different strategy for carb cycling, but I will usually use my "low carb" days to create a larger calorie deficit. Some choose to add back all of the calories from the lower carb intake and add them to their fat or protein intake for that day.

Keto is an effective diet strategy, but for most people it's an unsustainable way of eating and it makes any type of social setting very challenging. A ketogenic diet is implemented by restricting carbohydrate from the body, and increasing fat intake. By restricting carbs (eating less than 25g carb per day) your body is forced to use another source for fuel, so it begins to produce ketones and use fat as its primary energy source.

I've done keto before, and it does work, but I would much prefer a balanced diet over keto. You will look very flat and depleted on a ketogenic diet, and your performance will suffer. If that's a price you're willing to pay, then definitely give it a try. But keep in mind that you are veeery limited to the amounts of carbs you can consume, and eating too many carbs will knock you out of ketosis.
I'm gonna disagree, I don't look flat and my performance/intensity is still there, it's only temporary while you switch over. I've been doing strict keto for 5 months almost now 70%F25%P5%C! You are totally right about social situations, I take my own meals everywhere but once you're keto adapted and decide to have a big carb cheat meal, it would only take a couple of days to get back into ketosis! I have a buddy who eats 50net carbs a day also and still have a high ketone count so I think once you're in you can play about with it but I've been strict coz I'm OCD haha

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I'm gonna disagree, I don't look flat and my performance/intensity is still there, it's only temporary while you switch over. I've been doing strict keto for 5 months almost now 70%F25%P5%C! You are totally right about social situations, I take my own meals everywhere but once you're keto adapted and decide to have a big carb cheat meal, it would only take a couple of days to get back into ketosis! I have a buddy who eats 50net carbs a day also and still have a high ketone count so I think once you're in you can play about with it but I've been strict coz I'm OCD haha
Glad you're enjoying keto man, 5 months is awesome! I will do keto for a few months here and there when necessary, but I would much prefer to eat carbs. But from personal experience, and from studies, not having a readily available source of fuel (glucose) for high intensity training will definitely have an impact on overall training performance. You can certainly adapt to keto and adjust to it, but its very difficult to get the explosive energy that carbs deliver.

My biggest problem with keto is the absence of muscle glycogen. Especially being taller and lanky, I look very flat and noodle-like when I am glycogen depleted. I mean yeah I get super lean and vascular, but I prefer the carb route. It's always interesting to see other views and opinions though. Keep up the good work bro!

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
Glad you're enjoying keto man, 5 months is awesome! I will do keto for a few months here and there when necessary, but I would much prefer to eat carbs. But from personal experience, and from studies, not having a readily available source of fuel (glucose) for high intensity training will definitely have an impact on overall training performance. You can certainly adapt to keto and adjust to it, but its very difficult to get the explosive energy that carbs deliver.

My biggest problem with keto is the absence of muscle glycogen. Especially being taller and lanky, I look very flat and noodle-like when I am glycogen depleted. I mean yeah I get super lean and vascular, but I prefer the carb route. It's always interesting to see other views and opinions though. Keep up the good work bro!
Sorry I didn't mean to come across like I did, I'm obviously a big advocate of high fat low carb but I should diss carbs it's got me to where I am now! Yeah if you do high intensity hypertrophy style workouts I'd recommend a slightly different route like TKD but otherwise I've always followed a power building type style, heavy med reps on compounds and high reps/failure on accessories, I'm 190lbs at 10%bf and 5'10" and it's done me wonders and once I was adapted I'd say I've even progressed in a deficit! I could just be a good responder but the pumps are still there the vascularity is up haha I'm also super carb sensitive, I could look at a pack of biscuits and put in a couple of lbs or I now know what it's like to not feel bloated and gassy, may also be a reason I'm into keto so much haha

Fit4LifeMike

Fit4LifeMike

Awards
Awesome stuff to look into guys! That keto first does look interesting but I am wanting to like keep/put on size! See I'm 5 foot6 and 190lbs and am pretty damn solid for my height and all. Just wanting to lean out and definitely keep some size and maybe add some if I could!
I'm thinking with this goal in mind I'll def prolly wanna do the carbs I'm sure!

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Close to the same at 6'0. Down to 220 from 260. Thinking about dropping the carbs since I keep hearing that might be kinda high

Plus, I might drop my calories to around 1700

xanderjd... sorry to ask but why are you in Iraq? I ask because I spent 2 years there as a firefighter...I miss the shyt out of it!!

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm 5'6" also!

My macros are:
2600 Calories
255g protein
223g carbs
71g fat

Thanks!
I would do what most have said and drop the carbs a bit and up the fat intake while keeping the same calories.

No matter what diet you choose, you will go through plateaus in which your body will try to break through certain set points. The answer, and its boring, is to continue what you're doing. Most people either up cardio or drop calories too much which end of sabotaging long term results.

FFSupplements

FFSupplements

Awards
What the Admin said. On my first cut/venture for that mythical 6 pack I dropped the calories a little too much (1600 range) and combined that with long cardio sessions. I ended up getting those long awaited abs but I had also lost a lot more muscle than I wanted to. The second time I cut I made note of this. Instead of dropping the calories way down when I plateaued, I threw in some carb cycling (about 2x a week at 80g carbs max) to really attack that last bit of fat and confuse my body a little. Always made sure to replenish my carbs the following day though. This worked a lot better for me, got the last bit of belly fat and kept my muscle better. Maybe it's worth a shot for you!

csline

csline

Awards
  • Established
Cut carbs, lower fat. Consume 50-60 grams before workout and 60-80 grams post workout. And that's it! Compensate for calories with protein and vegetables. Bring calories down to 2,400-2,500. Bring in HIIT cardio, use CLA, L-carnitine.

Then repeat for 12 months!!!! Lol. It's a marathon, not a sprint

csline

csline

Awards
  • Established
Cut carbs, lower fat. Consume 50-60 grams before workout and 60-80 grams post workout. And that's it! Compensate for calories with protein and vegetables. Bring calories down to 2,400-2,500. Bring in HIIT cardio, use CLA, L-carnitine.

Then repeat for 12 months!!!! Lol. It's a marathon, not a sprint
That works for me if I cut carbs to like 120-150 p/ day and do HIIT cardio with weights for about 1 hour in between those carbs. I do that for 3-4 weeks and get dry and lean

Fit4LifeMike

Fit4LifeMike

Awards
That works for me if I cut carbs to like 120-150 p/ day and do HIIT cardio with weights for about 1 hour in between those carbs. I do that for 3-4 weeks and get dry and lean
I pretty much do that also sometimes I'm just wondering what everyone else's thoughts and ideas are.
What do yalls HIIT cardio sessions contain?

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
HIIT is HIIT

You should pick a form you enjoy, doesn't make much difference if you choose sprints vs. Cycling vs. Whatever so long as you are hitting intervals at maximum intensity (full speed)

Fit4LifeMike

Fit4LifeMike

Awards
HIIT is HIIT

You should pick a form you enjoy, doesn't make much difference if you choose sprints vs. Cycling vs. Whatever so long as you are hitting intervals at maximum intensity (full speed)
Haha I do sprints but man do they **** with my knees so I do stair master now which i ****ing love!

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Stairmaster works

Elliptical is great for low impact too but I usually opted for a low-mid resistance stationary cycle myself

xanderjd

Awards
xanderjd... sorry to ask but why are you in Iraq? I ask because I spent 2 years there as a firefighter...I miss the shyt out of it!!
I'm working out here as a civilian engineer. It has its ups and downs but overall, I don't mind it at all