Best Workout Program for FatLoss and Performance

Dukethumper

Awards
  • Established
I was looking at things like Shortcut to Shred, Shortcut to Strength, and I have been doing Fierce 5, but want to find a program that will shred fat and enhance performance, thoughts? My diet is already below maintenance btw.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If you're in a calroic deficit and consistently in a caloric deficit from day to day then you've already accomplished the hard part. Shortcut to Shred is a good one. I've followed that plan and modified it alittle. I like you could use that plan as your base and then modify it however you like.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would stick with a any program that has worked for you at any point in time. People think they need to change up their training, completely, during a cut, but that is not the case. It is going to come down to being in a caloric deficit. You could modify tings like rest time, supersets, etc. for a more intense environment, but stick with whatever works.

For example, if you have made great gains on 5/3/1, use that when cutting. If you have used a 5 day split, stick with that. I would absolutely keep heavy compounds in. Please do not think you need to lift lighter. I would continue lifting heavy to help maintain any strength you have, since that can be compromised during a cut. Do not do anything drastically different from the training style that has worked best for you thus far.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't overcomplicate it. Shortcut to Shred is a decent program, but there's no need to follow it to a T. As mentioned above, stick to what you enjoy. I would definitely keep heavy compound exercises in while cutting (squats, bench, deads, rows), and focus more of your attention on your diet for fat loss.

If your goals are fat loss and enhanced performance, I would add in some high intensity training. Consider adding HIIT a few times per week, decreasing rest periods between sets, and use exercises that will increase your VO2 max. This type of training will improve athletic performance and indirectly help with fat loss if you are eating properly

Dukethumper

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't overcomplicate it. Shortcut to Shred is a decent program, but there's no need to follow it to a T. As mentioned above, stick to what you enjoy. I would definitely keep heavy compound exercises in while cutting (squats, bench, deads, rows), and focus more of your attention on your diet for fat loss.

If your goals are fat loss and enhanced performance, I would add in some high intensity training. Consider adding HIIT a few times per week, decreasing rest periods between sets, and use exercises that will increase your VO2 max. This type of training will improve athletic performance and indirectly help with fat loss if you are eating properly
Wouldn't shortcut to Shred count as my HIIT? I also play lacrosse on a team at night that is high intensity.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Wouldn't shortcut to Shred count as my HIIT? I also play lacrosse on a team at night that is high intensity.
If you're following that program, yes. But keep in mind that the "cardio acceleration" he implements works well in theory, but if you're in a gym with other people it's almost impossible to do successfully.

I would suggest using that workout split as a template, and doing HIIT after your training or at another time. Jumping around the gym between sets isn't easy, and everyone will probably end up hating you for it

Dukethumper

Awards
  • Established
If you're following that program, yes. But keep in mind that the "cardio acceleration" he implements works well in theory, but if you're in a gym with other people it's almost impossible to do successfully.

I would suggest using that workout split as a template, and doing HIIT after your training or at another time. Jumping around the gym between sets isn't easy, and everyone will probably end up hating you for it
I have done something similar, you don't need to jump around the gym. A lot of the stuff you can do where you do your lift.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I have done something similar, you don't need to jump around the gym. A lot of the stuff you can do where you do your lift.
If you can keep the intensity high enough, then you can count it as your HIIT. You may also want to consider adding in additional HIIT training (sled pushes, sprints, etc.) later on during the cut too, depending on your progress

Dukethumper

Awards
  • Established
If you can keep the intensity high enough, then you can count it as your HIIT. You may also want to consider adding in additional HIIT training (sled pushes, sprints, etc.) later on during the cut too, depending on your progress
The reason I can't do that is because I still have lacrosse at night which is high intensity, after this program I plan on doing shortcut to strength with seperate hiit

Dukethumper

Awards
  • Established
The reason I can't do that is because I still have lacrosse at night which is high intensity, after this program I plan on doing shortcut to strength with seperate hiit