Best pre- workout snack/small meal for weight loss ?

Ryan5550

Awards
Just seeing a light meal I can ingest before I work. I work out in the evenings

Ryan5550

Awards
I'm eating below 40 carbs a day. Like on a keto diet type deal. So I was curious if a whey protein shake and a scoop of green super foods would be solid ?

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
A scoop of whey could work, but I prefer to have something more solid 1-2 hours before lifting. If you're doing low carb/keto, I would do a lean protein source (chicken breast, ground turkey, etc) and a green vegetable. That will make you feel more satiated than a scoop of protein powder.

Either way would be fine though, as long as it fits your macros.

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I agree with John above regarding solid food. I know any time I did low carb or keto, I would get super dizzy if I lifted with just a scoop of protein. Now, obviously everyone is different, you just need to find what works best for you. Try protein one day, then try solid food another and see what you prefer.

Ryan5550

Awards
I Def prefer soIid food. For the fact it helps wit me also not being as hungry during my workout

Ryan5550

Awards
I Def wanna try and take away from eating some fats before a workout right on the keto diet? Like for example 6 Oz of chicken cup of broccoli and 12 almounds?

Ryan5550

Awards
I Def wanna try and take away from eating some fats before a workout right on the keto diet? Like for example 6 Oz of chicken cup of broccoli and 12 almounds?

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Incoroprating a small serving of fats wouldn't be a bad idea. Especially almonds, since they don't sit heavy in your stomach. I wouldn't want to eat a fatty cut of meat or anything too filling preworkout, but a handful of almonds with your meal should be fine

jalfrey

jalfrey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If I need food before a workout, I just usually have a can of tuna. I've started having a TBS of virgin coconut oil this week instead and so far so good. No lightheadedness and definitely can push harder than when i train fasted.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I Def prefer soIid food. For the fact it helps wit me also not being as hungry during my workout
How long do you have between your pre workout meal and training?

If you want to stick to solid foods, I would go with broccoli, like you suggested below, nuts/nut butters and eggs. Timing for me would be important though. Personally, if I have too much broccoli pre workout, I feel way too bloated. I would need 2-3 hours to digest it. If that is not the case for you, I would go that route.

For a protein source, I would opt for whole eggs/egg whites. Have both or one or the other. Whole eggs should make you feel less hungry throughout your workout. I would also cook them in coconut oil. MCTs can be very beneficial pre workout and provide one with some extra energy. This is key, especially when training low carb or fasted.