Cutting for Women over 40

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I have a question for a friend.
5'3", 44yrs old, about 132lbs. Looking to cut down to mid 120s.

Currently 3-4 days of lifting per week (crossfit)
3 added days of cardio (moderate intensity spin bike 2 x 30 minute sessions)
1 rest day (usually is spent hiking or walking with the dog, etc).

Most of the macro calculators put her at a suggested 1400 or so calories and while they may have slightly different outcomes, they're similar to this break down:

142g carbs
142g pro
32g fat.

I'm curious from women over 40 if you have any feedback or thoughts on this. ways to improve etc. The cardio setup is ideal because it allows her to spin at home when life is too busy to make it to the gym. Comparatively, my macros are all double hers and my goal is 5lbs of gaining weight. so changing mental gears to help her trim up is a whole new ball game for me.

From a muscular development perspective, her goal is to improve arms, thighs, and mid section. I think much of this would come naturally with the leaning up as she has about 6 years of lifting history already in her, but I'd love ideas that I can pass on to her.

UnicornDrpns

UnicornDrpns

Awards
I am not over 40.... but im over 30 haha :)

just make sure shes at a deficit. shes pretty active, macros seem alright. i like doing a 25% carb, 35% fat and 40% protein spread if im leaning out. i wouldn't focus too hard on the cardio . With a deficit , her current macro set up , and lifting schedule alone will get her to slim down. you are correct that leaning out alone will improve the body parts .

i'm currently losing 2-4 lbs /month off of no cardio, 5-6 days lifting (60-90 mins) and 1700 calories avg and i'm 5'6. Its been about 4 months into my cutting . she can message me here or on my instagram if she has questions. id be glad to help her
IMG_5162.JPG

i look small there but im still retaining and even gaining muscle despite the 13 lb weight loss too. she can do it all :)

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
OK so I'm getting back to this. Life has finally let us get back into a routine of sorts. Because she has been a crossfitter for 6 years, she has an Oly background. the only issue is she prefers not to snatch or do thrusters as both seem to irritate her shoulders (I'm going to address that later with some rehab tricks I want to try but for now, I dont want to push the issue).

Her goals:
Lean up, work on toning arms, midsection, butt and legs.

Movements to avoid:
Snatch and thrusters.

Movements she wants to work on:
pullups

Working on a 3 day split, here are my thoughts so far. I'd appreciate any criticism or ideas. I realize that she's not going to go as hard as me, she's not trying to compete like I am, and that 2hrs in the gym won't make her happy like it does me. but she is very active, likes to lift. so I am trying to help create something that's challenging, interesting, but not overwhelming.

WEEK 1
Day 1:
Cleans - 3x3 heavy weight
Front Squats - 3x8 moderate weight
RDLs - 3x10 light/moderate weight
Pull ups - 3sets to exhaustion, or 25 total reps (unlimited sets).

Day 2:
Push Jerk - 3x8 moderate weight
Overhead Press - 3x6-8 moderate weight
Abs - either sit ups, GHD machine, or knees to elbow
DB Curls - 3x10 moderate weight
Dips - 3 to 5 sets x max reps

Day 3
Deadlifts - 3x5 Heavy
Back squats - 3x8 Moderate
Back extensions - 3x10-15reps (within her ability)
Lunges- either a lot with no weight (4x25 walking) or moderate with moderate weight in front rack position (3x10)

WEEK 2
Day 1
Power Clean & Push Jerk – 3x5 moderate weight
Front Squats – 3x8 moderate weight (but go up from last week 2.5-5lbs)
RDL’s – 3x10 light/moderate weight
Pull ups, strict, 3-5 sets to exhaustion

Optional Wod:
Grace (30 x power clean and jerk for time)

Day 2
Bench Press – 3x5 moderate to heavy weight
Lateral shoulder raises – 3x10 light weight
Forward raises 3x10 light weight
Kettlebell armbars – 3-6 reps on each side - light weight
Dips, 3 sets max reps
EZ bar curls or preacher curls – 3x10

Day 3
Deadlifts – 3x5 Heavy
Back squats – 3x8 Moderate
Abs (situps or crunches) 75 reps, unlimited sets
Walking lunges, 4 x 25

cardio
would be mostly the spin bike for 30 minutes, added 1-2 times per week where she chooses.

I threw in the wod on the power clean and push jerk day because its complimentary and i love the way push jerks for reps really blow up my quads.