BMR and Calories

Jgood53

Awards
If I want to calculate my daily needed calories and I am calculating my BMR because I really need to get back on a stricter diet. But I got to thinking does the body still burn the same amount of calories BMR if a person had 15% body fat as it would if a person had 30% or 45% and so on? It could make a drastic difference in calories needed each day.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
There are a ton of factors that contribute to BMR, and body fat is certainly one of them. Since muscle tissue is metabolically active tissue, the more muscle you have, the higher your BMR is. If you were to take two 180 pound individuals, one with 12%bf and one with 30%, they would have significantly different BMR's.

I always recommend people who want to track calories to begin by tracking their normal day to day diet. BMR calculators are a good estimate, but are often very inaccurate. I would use a BMR calc as a rough guide, and then use trial and error to determine how many calories you need to maintain your weight. You can start by following the number a calculator gives you, but just know that it is probably high or low, depending on numerous factors (body fat, activity level, macronutrient balance, stress, etc.)