Calorie Counter with Food Lookup tool (*brand lookup)

sespress

Awards
So in the distant past of my freshman year I remember using some kind of food calculator lookup took from some government website for a health and fitness class my college required. We had to find out how terrible our diets were and report back. The results were funny of course. It wasn't the best looking tool and it would screw up and crash but it had an AMAZING food lookup module that actually found food by the brand name or SKU and pulled in the nutrition facts onto the spreadsheet. It was a seemless two part product. I cannot find it to save my life! It likely doesn't even exist in that form anymore... but there must be something like it somewhere?

I've found a lot of calculators online, but they are all giving me categories only, no brand lookup. I also got this results:

BACON,MEATLESS

Which sounds dubious at first, and was great for a quick laugh, although it's probably just a boca burger like product (still ..)

Thanks!

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
iPhone app called MyMacros+ has a brand lookup. I've been using it for years I really like it.

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like MyFitnessPal. It actually has a barcode scanner built in, and several brand names are in its data base. Even restaurants. Ill have to look at the MyMacros+ that kenpoengineer stated, hes smarter than I am!

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yea I've used my fitness pal for awhile. It allows you to scan barcodes and it will bring up the nutrition facts based on the barcode.

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
OK I'll check both out. Thanks!
I see now why Ive never heard of MyMacros. It cost $2-$3 or so on the app store. Not in any way saying that its NOT worth it, I just refuse
To pay for apps. I oay enough on the phone bill every month the apps should be free. Lol

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I see now why Ive never heard of MyMacros. It cost $2-$3 or so on the app store. Not in any way saying that its NOT worth it, I just refuse
To pay for apps. I oay enough on the phone bill every month the apps should be free. Lol
Interesting, when a bottle of Coca Cola costs $1.50 from the machine, $2 to $3 for an app to track macros is too expensive? Do you know that app development costs anywhere from $5,000 to upwards of $50,000? Also, the phone company doesn't get the proceeds from app sales. Just thought you should know as I just released my app called MyBloodTracker for sale.

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Interesting, when a bottle of Coca Cola costs $1.50 from the machine, $2 to $3 for an app to track macros is too expensive? Do you know that app development costs anywhere from $5,000 to upwards of $50,000? Also, the phone company doesn't get the proceeds from app sales. Just thought you should know as I just released my app called MyBloodTracker for sale.
I know my man, just my attempt at being funny. I know theyre no affiliation with he phone companies or phone manufacturers, and all individual. I dont think $2-$3 for an app that accurately counts the macros for me is to expensive, not at all. I have in fact paid for apps, but mostly apps for work. Rescue guides, Fire Engineering, Medication lists and a chart on how to cut hybrid cars, so I dont get my nutz blown off with electricity if I need to make a rescue cut. But, for me, I have had very few issues with the MyFitnessPal, and unless I can find, or be directed to and OBVIOUS difference in why the "pay for" app is better, Or more advanced, accurate or whatever, free does me just fine. Its not a knock on any specific app or app company, but for me, I have to pick and choose what I spend money on, regardless of cost. But, congrats on YOUR app, I will be looking into it, just out of interest.

sespress

Awards
I'll buy it. iOS or android? Everyone should get something from the development. In a big fan of try before you buy, so hoping there's a trial version. But screw it I'll buy it if there's an android version.

Already got hooked up with myfitnesspal. Will start using it soon.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know my man, just my attempt at being funny. I know theyre no affiliation with he phone companies or phone manufacturers, and all individual. I dont think $2-$3 for an app that accurately counts the macros for me is to expensive, not at all. I have in fact paid for apps, but mostly apps for work. Rescue guides, Fire Engineering, Medication lists and a chart on how to cut hybrid cars, so I dont get my nutz blown off with electricity if I need to make a rescue cut. But, for me, I have had very few issues with the MyFitnessPal, and unless I can find, or be directed to and OBVIOUS difference in why the "pay for" app is better, Or more advanced, accurate or whatever, free does me just fine. Its not a knock on any specific app or app company, but for me, I have to pick and choose what I spend money on, regardless of cost. But, congrats on YOUR app, I will be looking into it, just out of interest.
Sorry if I sounded harsh. I was totally amazed when developing my app at the cost and hours it took. Then, selling it at $2 and realizing what a bargain apps really are. Thanks for looking at my MyBloodTracker app. It's for iPhone or iPad.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'll buy it. iOS or android? Everyone should get something from the development. In a big fan of try before you buy, so hoping there's a trial version. But screw it I'll buy it if there's an android version.

Already got hooked up with myfitnesspal. Will start using it soon.
IOS for now. Thanks for looking at it.

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sorry if I sounded harsh. I was totally amazed when developing my app at the cost and hours it took. Then, selling it at $2 and realizing what a bargain apps really are. Thanks for looking at my MyBloodTracker app. It's for iPhone or iPad.
Already looked it up on the app store and will be purchasing friday, as well getting my Captain to purchase as he has to keep up with BP checks and blood work being fresh into TRT. Looks great!

sespress

Awards
IOS for now. Thanks for looking at it.
Blast! Needs Android mannnm. Lol I know it's a totally different platform, but you'll find there are lot more if us each year than iOS. Apple is losing the commanding market share. Sucks but, can't keep new tech under the hood forever.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Already looked it up on the app store and will be purchasing friday, as well getting my Captain to purchase as he has to keep up with BP checks and blood work being fresh into TRT. Looks great!
Cool. I actually developed it after I started TRT and had tons of bloodwork to track. I did add blood pressure, body weight and BMI as well. As an example graph, here is my Testosterone to Estradiol ratio:

sespress

Awards
Cool. I actually developed it after I started TRT and had tons of bloodwork to track. I did add blood pressure, body weight and BMI as well. As an example graph, here is my Testosterone to Estradiol ratio:

Oh sweet that's awesome! Good job man!

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh sweet that's awesome! Good job man!
Thanks brother. This app saved me from being diagnosed with blood cancer and from being prescribed statins! The Doctor only looked at one bloodwork test result and said you have high cholesterol and need statins. I showed him this graph of my cholesterol:

He asked why the spike and I said because I switched my diet to lots of red meat, even though the wife kept me on fish, chicken and NO red meat. After he saw this he admitted that I didn't need a statin and to get off the red meat! Notice how my cholesterol dropped.

sespress

Awards
That's sweet man, yeah wish I could use it. I've got 7ish weeks before I get post PCT bloods to verify I can cycle again. I can always use Excel to graph it but... Yeah app is way easier.

So you have 7 weeks to port it to Android. OK, thanks! ?

sespress

Awards
Thanks brother. This app saved me from being diagnosed with blood cancer and from being prescribed statins! The Doctor only looked at one bloodwork test result and said you have high cholesterol and need statins. I showed him this graph of my cholesterol:

He asked why the spike and I said because I switched my diet to lots of red meat, even though the wife kept me on fish, chicken and NO red meat. After he saw this he admitted that I didn't need a statin and to get off the red meat! Notice how my cholesterol dropped.
Wait why'd they think blood cancer? I mean isn't there a culture or specific test for it other than looking at cholesterol? That must have been a scare!!

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wait why'd they think blood cancer? I mean isn't there a culture or specific test for it other than looking at cholesterol? That must have been a scare!!
Sorry, they looked at ferritin, iron levels, MPC, MPV and MCHC:

Rapid iron drop is a symptom of possible blood cancer. What the "real" reason was: I was donating blood every 60 days. I donated so much I became anemic! Again, by showing my doctor this trend and explaining the donations he said "Oh, sorry, just stop donating blood."

sespress

Awards
Sorry, they looked at ferritin, iron levels, MPC, MPV and MCHC:

Rapid iron drop is a symptom of possible blood cancer. What the "real" reason was: I was donating blood every 60 days. I donated so much I became anemic! Again, by showing my doctor this trend and explaining the donations he said "Oh, sorry, just stop donating blood."
Lol why where you donating so much blood, if you don't mind my asking.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lol why where you donating so much blood, if you don't mind my asking.
I'm on TRT and a side effect is hematocrit level increase. The best way to keep that in check is with regular blood donations.

sespress

Awards
I'm on TRT and a side effect is hematocrit level increase. The best way to keep that in check is with regular blood donations.
Someone else told me about this. I'd this a side of any anabolic or just test, or just the form of test your on for TRT?

How do you know it's getting to that point and/or what's the damage if you don't check it? It's like a thickening if the blood right? So increased bp and associated heart/lung/ random vascular issues?

Sorry I'm bombarding you with questions, I'm googling and finding disparate information on the topic.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Someone else told me about this. I'd this a side of any anabolic or just test, or just the form of test your on for TRT?

How do you know it's getting to that point and/or what's the damage if you don't check it? It's like a thickening if the blood right? So increased bp and associated heart/lung/ random vascular issues?

Sorry I'm bombarding you with questions, I'm googling and finding disparate information on the topic.
Most anabolics can cause an increase in red blood cells. Hematocrit is related to blood thickness. The increased thickness can actually cause you to stroke and die.

The only way to check is with bloodwork.

sespress

Awards
Most anabolics can cause an increase in red blood cells. Hematocrit is related to blood thickness. The increased thickness can actually cause you to stroke and die.

The only way to check is with bloodwork.
Oh wow bp doesn't show it? That's... Disturbing. Just read you can draw some on your own and gauge it on sight and colour??

No joke what about a leech?

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh wow bp doesn't show it? That's... Disturbing. Just read you can draw some on your own and gauge it on sight and colour??

No joke what about a leech?
Lol. It's best you have routine bloodwork, no matter your age. It's pretty simple, once hematocrit climbs and approaches the max you go donate blood.

Clipper83

Clipper83

Awards
  • Established
Lol this, I used this app a couple years ago, and loved it, but the second it asked me to pay and refused.

I'll spend 20 on chipotle, but for a solid app I won't dish anything out...

Tyvocules

Tyvocules

Awards
This is good stuff. I'm checking out some of these apps

UnicornDrpns

UnicornDrpns

Awards
I like MyFitnessPal. It actually has a barcode scanner built in, and several brand names are in its data base. Even restaurants. Ill have to look at the MyMacros+ that kenpoengineer stated, hes smarter than I am!
the restaurant finder menu ability is so amazing. MFP is all anyone needs :)

rodherm

Awards
  • Established
My Fitness Pal does the trick for me and even has a scanner functionality where you can simoly scan the code bar and get the results immediately