Opinions on diet/advice?

angcd3

angcd3

Awards
OK guys a little background first. I am 40yrs old and currently at 215lbs and around 15-16% body fat, calculated by an handheld monitor first thing in the morning. I totally know how to diet to loose weight, because 12 years ago I weighed 320 lbs and was well over 30% body fat, just a guess there never wanted to actually find out!. I have lost the weight and have kept it off and train my ass off, but I just don't like the way I look so for the first time I am going to count and monitor everything and do a real cut starting next week. Thinking about running this for 12-15 weeks and see where that gets me.. I really have no idea on duration. I want to keep as much muscle as possible and just lean out and try to get shredded. So here is what I have come up with, any suggestions, input is greatly appreciated.! Oh yeah I'm allergic to eggs so that's why there are none in my diet sucks but what can you do. Work out schedule is 4 days of weights, 1 dedicated cardio day, Play in a soccer league once a week.

Goal 200/lb 10-12% bodyfat
Protein 1300
Fat 700
Carbs 500
Total Calories 2600

Meal 1
4oz chicken breast
1/3 cup of oats
2 tbs of PB

Meal 2
Protein shake

Meal 3
6oz chicken breast
1/2 Sweet potato

Meal 4
6oz steak
1/2 brown rice

Meal 5
6oz chicken breast
1/2 Sweet potato
1 cup of brocolli

Meal 6
Protein shake
2 tbs of PB

Total Calories 2579
Total Protein (grams/cals) 309/1238 49.5%
Total Fat (grams/cals) 78/702 28%
Total carbs(grams/cals) 131/525 21%

I have learned thru the years my body tends to hold too much carbs of any kind in a bad way that's why I kept them lower then the fats. This has me running at a 421calorie deficit from my calculated maintenance of 3000. Like I said this is the first time I've actually laid it all out like this. Thanks for any help.

Br1ck_Sh1thouse

Awards
  • Established
Just a quick thought /idea, you mentioned how not so well your body handles carbs, have you considered going ketogenic? For me it's way easier to strip weight off and to maintain, once in a blue moon I'll eat a higher level of carbs if I'm forced to at a family event but usually I can avoid it. Just my 1.5 cents......

angcd3

angcd3

Awards
Just a quick thought /idea, you mentioned how not so well your body handles carbs, have you considered going ketogenic? For me it's way easier to strip weight off and to maintain, once in a blue moon I'll eat a higher level of carbs if I'm forced to at a family event but usually I can avoid it. Just my 1.5 cents......
thanks..
I hear you on that one. And I have done that it works totally, I just always feel like when I have done that I dont hold on to my gains? Doe that make sense? I just didnt know if this would be a better way to cut and hold on to as much muscle as possible?

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That's a lot of protein and not very much carbs... any particular reason?

Edit: nevermind didn't see that before.

Still, protein is pretty high for your weight.

angcd3

angcd3

Awards
That's a lot of protein and not very much carbs... any particular reason?

Edit: nevermind didn't see that before.

Still, protein is pretty high for your weight.
True.. just hesitant to replace it with anything else.. would you just eliminate some and just reduce the overall calories then as a result?

saylee

saylee

Awards
if your body doesn't hold on to carbs well, most of the time what helps is cycling the carbs as well as calories in an undulating technique. Use carbs for your heavier days and lighten up the carbs for days where it's a secondary focus/h.i.i.t/cardio and a 2 meals with carbs during rest day. This is just as an example.

angcd3

angcd3

Awards
if your body doesn't hold on to carbs well, most of the time what helps is cycling the carbs as well as calories in an undulating technique. Use carbs for your heavier days and lighten up the carbs for days where it's a secondary focus/h.i.i.t/cardio and a 2 meals with carbs during rest day. This is just as an example.
Thanks.. good advice. Is definitely something to try and see how it works for me

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you do not respond to carbs all that well, I would suggest carb cycling. Here is a good article:

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/carb-cycling-codex

Additionally, I would suggest using a GDA product such as SlinMax to help with that issue as well. The ingredients in Slinmax help users utlilize carbs better. For example, Na-R-ALA also reduces blood sugar and improves glycogen storage thanks to its actions with GLUT-4 (an important glucose transporter in the body)

Berberine activates Adenosine Monophosphate-Activated Protein Kinase (AMPK) while inhibiting Protein-Tyrosine Phosphatase 1B (PTP1B). AMPK activation improves insulin sensitivity and glucose transport in the body.

Agmatine mproves glucose uptake and insulin sensitivity of skeletal muscles.and glucose uptake in skeletal muscle tissue. Agmatine stimulates the release of beta-endorphin (β-endorphin) that helps move glucose out of the bloodstream and into muscle tissue. This also helps with muscle fullness and pumps.

angcd3

angcd3

Awards
If you do not respond to carbs all that well, I would suggest carb cycling. Here is a good article:

Additionally, I would suggest using a GDA product such as SlinMax to help with that issue as well. The ingredients in Slinmax help users utlilize carbs better. For example, Na-R-ALA also reduces blood sugar and improves glycogen storage thanks to its actions with GLUT-4 (an important glucose transporter in the body)

Berberine activates Adenosine Monophosphate-Activated Protein Kinase (AMPK) while inhibiting Protein-Tyrosine Phosphatase 1B (PTP1B). AMPK activation improves insulin sensitivity and glucose transport in the body.

Agmatine mproves glucose uptake and insulin sensitivity of skeletal muscles.and glucose uptake in skeletal muscle tissue. Agmatine stimulates the release of beta-endorphin (β-endorphin) that helps move glucose out of the bloodstream and into muscle tissue. This also helps with muscle fullness and pumps.
Thanks brother. Very good article, thanks. You really know your stuff took me a few times reading your post to decipher it all. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I would definitely look into carb cycling - best way to diet IMO. Are you currently taking any staple supps (creatine, betaine, etc.) or thermogenic products?

angcd3

angcd3

Awards
I would definitely look into carb cycling - best way to diet IMO. Are you currently taking any staple supps (creatine, betaine, etc.) or thermogenic products?
Yeah after reading that article i really thing the carb cycling is way im going to go. And to be 100% honest I'm proabably like the guy who wrote that article meaning in my head I have myself convinced that carbs are going to make me fat. But after being 320 lbs it really messes with your head. Even though its been a few years I still have the same fat-boy mentality. Anyway as for the supps i always take a creatine and aminos of some kind, right now I have pes ergonine. and just finished up taking Alpha-max. As for a thermo not right now, but Im waiting to get some Spartan Lean to run during this just waiting for the new new versions to come out.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Yeah after reading that article i really thing the carb cycling is way im going to go. And to be 100% honest I'm proabably like the guy who wrote that article meaning in my head I have myself convinced that carbs are going to make me fat. But after being 320 lbs it really messes with your head. Even though its been a few years I still have the same fat-boy mentality. Anyway as for the supps i always take a creatine and aminos of some kind, right now I have pes ergonine. and just finished up taking Alpha-max. As for a thermo not right now, but Im waiting to get some Spartan Lean to run during this just waiting for the new new versions to come out.
Yeah I know the feeling. I was overweight in middle/high school and I still fear carbs sometimes and relate them to fat gain. Ergonine is a great staple product, so that covers all of your base needs.

If you liked Alphamax then you may also want to consider Oxymax XT for a thermogenic. It also includes F95 which can be very beneficial for improving body composition. Oxymax XT contains Eria Jarensis which can help increase mental focus and improve mood. I also got great appetite suppression while using it, which is always helpful while dieting.

angcd3

angcd3

Awards
Yeah I know the feeling. I was overweight in middle/high school and I still fear carbs sometimes and relate them to fat gain. Ergonine is a great staple product, so that covers all of your base needs.

If you liked Alphamax then you may also want to consider Oxymax XT for a thermogenic. It also includes F95 which can be very beneficial for improving body composition. Oxymax XT contains Eria Jarensis which can help increase mental focus and improve mood. I also got great appetite suppression while using it, which is always helpful while dieting.
I'll look into it thanks. And its hard for people to understand unless you have actually been overweight so you get where I'm coming from!

saylee

saylee

Awards
I know exactly what you mean. I used to weigh 320 pounds. After you establish the diet and find a good structure, supps would definitely be more effective.

john.patterson made a good point though. GDA's really do help. I've used Slinmax and just started logging my experience with n2Slin. It really helped me after i had a set diet of what i was planning to do whether it being lean gaining and cutting.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I know exactly what you mean. I used to weigh 320 pounds. After you establish the diet and find a good structure, supps would definitely be more effective.

john.patterson made a good point though. GDA's really do help. I've used Slinmax and just started logging my experience with n2Slin. It really helped me after i had a set diet of what i was planning to do whether it being lean gaining and cutting.
Congrats on the weight loss man! I agree, Slinmax is great to add in no matter what your goals are. I find that timing my carbs can help a lot and improve fat loss. Adding in a GDA like Slinmax makes it even better. I always find that I can handle a higher carb intake while using a GDA, which is definitely nice when dieting haha.

angcd3

angcd3

Awards

Hey brother congrats on your weight loss.. juts over 320 is where i was as well, Hats off to you! Maybe one day I'll have the confidence to post a before and after pic like yours brother. I still think I look the same in my head and hate having my picture taken let alone show it to everyone. thanks for the advice too..

saylee

saylee

Awards
Congrats on the weight loss man! I agree, Slinmax is great to add in no matter what your goals are. I find that timing my carbs can help a lot and improve fat loss. Adding in a GDA like Slinmax makes it even better. I always find that I can handle a higher carb intake while using a GDA, which is definitely nice when dieting haha.
Thanks man! Yes Slinmax has definitely helped me. It was always hard for me to increase my carbohydrate consumption but Slinmax helped me push the envelope during my recovery diet phase. I usually retain a mass amount of water but it's slim to none with Slinmax. I still have one bottle left

Hey brother congrats on your weight loss.. juts over 320 is where i was as well, Hats off to you! Maybe one day I'll have the confidence to post a before and after pic like yours brother. I still think I look the same in my head and hate having my picture taken let alone show it to everyone. thanks for the advice too..

Bro you can do it and you will!! I believe that you will. The hardest part isn't just physical but it's to push ourselves beyond what we're used to. I can relate to what you mean about thinking you look the same. I tell people all the time that i still feel like i'm 320 pounds. That's just something i'll never get used to and for us, it just takes time. Be proud of yourself. It's a long process but what you learn and the discipline you gain is going to make everything attainable.