I think taking Proton Pump Inhibitors have messed my metabolism up.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've had GERD for years and I haven't been able to get below 24% body fat in years, nor have I been able to gain much muscle mass. Do you think the drugs have messed my metabolism up and if so, what is the best route to take?

M.I.D

M.I.D

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've had GERD for years and I haven't been able to get below 24% body fat in years, nor have I been able to gain much muscle mass. Do you think the drugs have messed my metabolism up and if so, what is the best route to take?
Hey, I was taking Omeprazole for a good 10 years and I recently changed to Ranitidne which is a H2 Antagonist.

The PPI's have so many side effects, they were only ever meant to be a short term drug.

With them shutting the acid production off, you cannot process the food properly, and this possibly leads to more being stored as fat.

It also affects metabolic rate, again meaning less Kcal are burned during the day

Switchfoot

Switchfoot

Awards
I also had GERD and was on a bunch of different antacids until I went on a very low carb diet. While on the diet I did not need them. There is a connection between the carbs consumed and the bacteria in your stomach. Bacteria uses the carbs as fuel and produces gas as a by product causing indigestion and sometimes GERD. A low carb diet would address your body fat issue as well. A double whammy.

gagandugan

gagandugan

Awards
  • Established
I had been taking them for years now. I'm sure it's not healthy, but one thing they didn't do for me - they did not make me overweight. I find it easy to maintain 10-12% BF year round.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I saw a gastro today. He wants me to not eat dairy for a week and see if things improve. He told me if lactose is the problem, I can ween off the medicine. Now, I need to rethink my diet. I was getting most of my saturated fat from cheese. I wonder if I stop eating dairy for month, if that is the problem; if I can have cheese ever once in awhile if I take lactaid pills.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Health Update: I had a camera put down my throat today by my Gasto. It turns out that I have a hiatal hernia, that will require surgery. He told me I can keep taking the pills, but it'll just get worse and he also confirmed that the pills do indeed interfere with protein absorption. He told me after surgery, I will never need to take reflux pills again.