Analysis Paralysis, some help here bro's

juansieteuno

Awards
So I'm a noob that has been training for a year now. I'm at 170 pounds (15-16% bf I think) and I'm trying to figure out how to set my macros for a cut

I'm looking for a way to maintain strength(at least) while I get to 10% bf

My best lifts(max singles) are as follows(to give you an idea of muscle mass since I can't yet post pics)

Back squat- 315 pounds
Deadlift- 350 pounds
Bench Press- 250 pounds
Military Press- 140 pounds

I would really appreciate help here, cause the interwebs has so so so many info it can be quite freezing

Thanks guys

Masterkai

Masterkai

Awards
Timinvermont dot com. That website has great info on everything training. Including the exact formula to figure out macros based on body type. I could just give it to you but I prefer you go take the time. Let me know if you have questions. Happy training!

juansieteuno

Awards
Thanks, I think I have figured out my maintenance calories at 2300 cals per day, which according to calculations is low but I was an obese kid so I figure that is the culprit

My diet is mainly chicken breast, sweet potatoes, oats, whey, peanut butter, etc. So I'm eating 95% clean with the occasional deviations being some protein bar or a subway sandwich

I will check that link out now, thanks man

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Solid lifts for someone who's only been training for a year!

Just to give you a heads up - you won't be able to maintain all of your strength while cutting. If you're 15% body fat at 170 pounds, your composition is 145 pounds of lean mass, and 25 pounds of fat. If your goal is to cut to 10%, your target body weight will be ~155-160 pounds, assuming you lose no muscle mass while dieting. Being 10 pounds lighter will take a toll on your max lifts, so don't expect to maintain all of your strength while dieting.

If it were me, I'd set up a 12-15 week diet plan. If your maintenance is 2300, I would start your cut at 2000 calories per day. Keep protein at 1g-1.3g/pound of lean mass (145g-185g per day), and keep fats at 20-25% of your total daily calories (50-55g per day). Then fill the rest the remaining calories (which works out to 800 or so calories) with carbs (200g).

This would be a good starting point IMO. I always opt to eat less carbs on rest days, but that's a personal preference. You can also look to add in supplements that can help you maintain strength and muscle while dieting. Are you currently taking and supplements?

juansieteuno

Awards
Thanks for such a detailed answer man. I am at 2100-2300 for now and bumping up the conditioning, and it seems to be working. The thing that I need most at this moment is patience so I'm working on that.

I'm also playing with eating all my carbs peri and post workout and keeping it as clean as possible. Also I'm weighing about 95% of what I eat, just to learn how correct portion sizes look.

Thanks again man

juansieteuno

Awards
Oh and supps, most I'm taking are pretty common staples.

Whey protein
Fish oil
Multi

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
....I am at 2100-2300 for now and bumping up the conditioning, and it seems to be working....

Oh and supps, most I'm taking are pretty common staples.

Whey protein
Fish oil
Multi
Perfect plan. Adding in some cardio and conditioning will allow you to keep calories higher. I prefer to add in a little cardio when cutting too. Patience is key - fat loss takes time. The slower your diet the more strength you'll be able to keep.

Supplements look solid. Basic and essential which is great. I would also suggest adding in creatine. Creatine will really help with strength and it will allow you to push yourself a bit harder. I always find that creatine is more helpful for me while dieting, because it can help deliver the extra push for those last few reps. I would look into a daily ergogenic product like Powermax XT. Powermax XT contains a full serving of creatine and betaine, as well as ingredients to help with performance, strength, and recovery. Its a great product to take daily to make sure your body is working at its full capacity, and I find that daily ergogenics like Powermax XT are very beneficial while dieting.

juansieteuno

Awards
Thanks, will look into that. My biggest issue seems to be that I think my appetite has a broken "off" switch(I forgot the name of the hormone that controls that, leptin or ghrelin?)

I can eat a whole lot and continue eating and it's like my brain says to keep eating. I figure that it's just my body trying to get back to the fat set point and it sucks hard bro.

For some background info, by the seventh grade I was 200 pounds with a 40" waist.

juansieteuno

Awards
Also to give an idea of my current condition, I have very clear definition in my arms (deltoids,bis and tris) with that very cool bicep vein in both arms and shoulder striations when flexing

My arms un pumped sit at 15" my waist is currently 34" at the navel but I still have a very clear 4 pack, I even call it a 3d 4 pack because I can put my fingers between the abs.

I can say that most of my fat is located at my lower ab and low back area and its a mf'er