Cutting help

njv9t

Awards
Hey everyone ive been stuck at 178-180 for 3 weeks now i want to get to 7% bf i think im around 12% i lift heavy 3 days a week and fasted cardio calories between 1600 to 1800

shanethomas

Awards
You try adding any low intensity steady state cardio? So it's not so taxing on your body already eating at such low calories. Try walking on an incline for 30-45 minutes twice a week on top of what you're doing. I am stuck as well at 12 percent eating 1800 calories a day

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Last time you did a refeed? A cortisol product may be useful to especially being in a deficit for a prolonged period.

Could always up your calories to around maintenance for a week or two then start to drop back down to a deficit.

How long do you cardio? What kind? HIIT? LISS? LIIT? Alphaburn + Caffeine with fasted cardio will shred that fat off quick

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Depending on how long you've been dieting, I would incorporate a refeed or diet break. Your body will begin to fight your efforts if you've been dieting for too long.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Depending on how long you've been dieting, I would incorporate a refeed or diet break. Your body will begin to fight your efforts if you've been dieting for too long.
always a good idea.

Change up the type of cardio you do also. Some cut easier than others. For me it's easy. I hit weights 4x a week a cardio after 2 of those weight sessions and 1 session all cardio. Getting very lean is the hardest thing to do. All about diet :)

njv9t

Awards
Thank guys how long do you think it will take to get to 7 or 8%

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Thank guys how long do you think it will take to get to 7 or 8%
Its hard to give an estimate on that, it really depends on how hard you're willing to push yourself. Genetics also play a big role in your body fat set point, and some people have a very difficult time reaching those sub 10% numbers. Also keep in mind that 7-8% is not a maintainable body fat level. Most men, even the pro's, only drop into that 7-8% range for a short period of time for contents and photoshoots. It isn't sustainable as a long term physique goal

Joe12

Joe12

Awards
Its hard to give an estimate on that, it really depends on how hard you're willing to push yourself. Genetics also play a big role in your body fat set point, and some people have a very difficult time reaching those sub 10% numbers. Also keep in mind that 7-8% is not a maintainable body fat level. Most men, even the pro's, only drop into that 7-8% range for a short period of time for contents and photoshoots. It isn't sustainable as a long term physique goal
This ^^^
IMO, I dont think many people know what 10% body fat actually looks like. At 10%, your entire 6-pack & obliques should be highly visible. Even 10% is difficult to maintain, unless you are just genetically gifted.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
nobody thought to ask his stats? height, weight???

those cals are low, but not if youre only 5'3 or something. I cut at 1600 regularly so getting to single digits absolutely requires me to drop lower at times and i'm 5'10...

Lynks8

Lynks8

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Im 5'11 and weight 176
As others have suggested, there are a couple ways to go about breaking through a fat-loss plateau. If I were you, this is what I'd do:

1. Bump your calories up to ~250kcal above your TDEE for a week. Then slowly bring them back down (~50kcal per day) until you're ~250-500kcal below your TDEE, (the lower you go beyond -250kcal, the faster you'll lose weight, but the greater chance you'll have of potentially losing strength/muscle more than you may find acceptable).

2. Set up a progression plan for your cardio. Most people only think about "progressive overload" in regards to resistance training. It can be very useful for cardio as well. For example, if you're currently doing ~30 minutes on the bike/treadmill/whatever, start there and add 1 minute each day. This adds up quickly, but I prefer to add cardio rather than take away cals.

3. Eat smartly to control your insulin. Stay away from high-glycemic carbs (I know some will challenge me on this, but for me it makes a difference). Before eating carbs or protein (both of which can be highly insulinogenic), consume some fat or fiber. I try to eat my veggies or fat source (nuts typically) ~5 minutes before eating my carbs/protein. This has been shown to reduce insulin response.

4. Follow this simple protocol until your weight loss begins to slow again. When it does, add in some Yohimbine/Caffeine before your fasted cardio. Supplements are not necessary, and for most, fat burners won't help much..however, once you get closer to 10% bodyfat, the right supplements can make a real difference in keeping fat loss going and breaking through plateaus. As I mentioned, you can use Y/Caf, or an all-in-one product like Olympus Labs Ignit3 (50% off right now with code stack3d50).

5. As you add cardio and eventually, a good supplement, you should be able to keep progressing without reducing your calories too much. I have followed this approach down to ~9% bodyfat, which is even leaner than I was in my avi. If you feel the need to go any lower, you'll have to either add substantial cardio or further reduce calories...but anything under 10%, as John mentioned, is not really healthy or sustainable.

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Last time you did a refeed? A cortisol product may be useful to especially being in a deficit for a prolonged period.

Could always up your calories to around maintenance for a week or two then start to drop back down to a deficit.

How long do you cardio? What kind? HIIT? LISS? LIIT? Alphaburn + Caffeine with fasted cardio will shred that fat off quick
for a cortisol product, SNS REDUCE XT is the tried and true product for controlling this.

njv9t

Awards
What do you huys think of carb cycling
1800 cal
170 pro
60fat
145 carb
And on off day have carbs at 0 to 25g
Or have 1800 hundred cal all week and have a refeed on sunday

Lynks8

Lynks8

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What do you huys think of carb cycling
1800 cal
170 pro
60fat
145 carb
And on off day have carbs at 0 to 25g
Or have 1800 hundred cal all week and have a refeed on sunday
Carb cycling can be very effective. You can google CKD or TKD for some good info. I used to do CKD and it worked well for me. I now prefer TKD. If you incorporate either with the general protocol I laid out above, you should see good results.