Macros for cut / bulk?

drejb

drejb

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys.

I am 5'11, 198lbs

My dexa scan reads 19% BF but I still have clearly visible abs and definition so I believe it's inaccurate. (See DP, can't post photos)

I am curious to know what calories / macros look like for both cut and bulk for someone similar to my stats

On cuts I usually

1800-2000 Cals

Approx
100-150g carb
170-200g prot
60-80g fat

I haven't done a bulk in a long time because I am struggling to see any fat loss results.

5 days of lifting followed by 3 days fasted cardio for a solid 2 months now with no real sign of body comp improvements

Curious to know what works for you

Cheers

ironjunkie91

ironjunkie91

Awards
Your macros are close to mine at 6'2 220. I eat 2400 cals. I never seen much fat loss until I started using yohimbine/caffeine during my fasted cardio then it seemed to melt off. Not supplement endorsement just what helped me

drejb

drejb

Awards
  • Established
Your macros are close to mine at 6'2 220. I eat 2400 cals. I never seen much fat loss until I started using yohimbine/caffeine during my fasted cardio then it seemed to melt off. Not supplement endorsement just what helped me
I tried doing 200mg caffeine before fasted cardio. I suffer from GAD (general anxiety disorder) and I'm supper sensitive to stims. I don't think I have it enough of a chance to see any benefit

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
What worked for me, and this is purely anecdotal, is carbs @ 50-100g, protein 190-220 (sometimes as high as 250, but I don't see it necessary to go that high at my current weight), and fats being over 100g. I started at around 205-207 lbs and found my maintenance level cals at around 2800. Corrected diet to reflect that strictly and lost about 10 lbs with minimal cardio, none of it fasted. After 4 weeks or so dropped down to 2300-2500 with minimal cardio again and dropped about 5 lbs. Dropped again to 1800 after about 5 weeks and dropped down to 186, this time with fasted cardio 3-4 times per week and that was done on training days. Rest days were strictly rest, no weights or cardio. Cheat meals once a week, usually on the weekend as a date night or outing with the wife. I also stopped using creatine to drop any excess water that would cause me to hold. I switched my split from a "traditional" every body part once per week to hitting everything twice per week, sometimes 3 times depending on how my split started for the week and if I took a rest day. Rest days aren't scheduled in, only taking one when I felt I needed to. Staples in my diet were bison burgers, egg whites, turkey burgers, whole eggs, chicken breast, and carb sources were rice and oats. I noticed better fat loss results when cutting carbs completely from my evening meal (so no carbs after my preworkout snack at around 6 pm. Last meal was post workout at 8:30-9:00 pm depending on when the wife and I could get in the gym, and that consisted of shredded/pulled chicken tossed in a sauce that low in caloric density and some pickles.

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
Ah, yes when I did do fasted cardio it was always one cup of black coffee to start me up. Dosed some fat burners once they shipped to me but the stims in those were a bit much for me being on an empty stomach.

drejb

drejb

Awards
  • Established
Ah, yes when I did do fasted cardio it was always one cup of black coffee to start me up. Dosed some fat burners once they shipped to me but the stims in those were a bit much for me being on an empty stomach.
At 50-100g carbs a day, did you feel that you felt very flat and weak? Whenever I go under 100g carbs I feel super deflated

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
At 50-100g carbs a day, did you feel that you felt very flat and weak? Whenever I go under 100g carbs I feel super deflated
Absolutely man. It was hell for me, especially since I'd never tracked anything before and didn't realise how many carbs I was consuming before then. I'd eat my carbs during the day at work to keep me from being an unproductive POS and have around 30-ish grams with my PWO snack. It was a huge mental game for me and I could push past it most days but there was still times where I felt like garbage and my weight moved was not so great. On those days I tended to tone it back and focus on contractions and negatives more than sheer weight.

Also, I think one cup of coffee has roughly 90mg caffeine in it, so 200mg may be too high but half that may be good for you. I just needed something to help me wake up on my way out the door.

drejb

drejb

Awards
  • Established
Absolutely man. It was hell for me, especially since I'd never tracked anything before and didn't realise how many carbs I was consuming before then. I'd eat my carbs during the day at work to keep me from being an unproductive POS and have around 30-ish grams with my PWO snack. It was a huge mental game for me and I could push past it most days but there was still times where I felt like garbage and my weight moved was not so great. On those days I tended to tone it back and focus on contractions and negatives more than sheer weight.

Also, I think one cup of coffee has roughly 90mg caffeine in it, so 200mg may be too high but half that may be good for you. I just needed something to help me wake up on my way out the door.
Great advice thanks man

ironjunkie91

ironjunkie91

Awards
I also have G.A.D so I limit too much stims, 200mg caffeine would give me a panic attack lol considering that's half of your daily recommend serving at once. The half life of caffeine is so long ( I think like 6 hours) I myself only take 60mg 1 hour pwo with my yohimbine hcl and that still sometimes makes me nervous. I also noticed a better results from eating 7 ounces chicken breast and zero carbs for fuel during the workout ( I know that's technically not fasting) but worked for me. 7 straight days a week might be taxing your adrenals also and the excess amounts of cortisol my be delaying the fat loss... try lowering the number of days you weight train ( being in a caloric deficit already inhibits muscle development) and increase the days of cardio. Increase protein to stop as much muscle cannibalism as possible (Wich is gonna happen in a caloric deficit)

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
Great advice thanks man
No problem buddy. Don't get too caught up if you bust cals or carbs on any given day. One day will not hinder progress like your mind will make you think. It happens to all of us. Take your time with it and you'll see changes.