Calorie /metabolism/bf questions

pigeonjp

Awards
Hey everyone so I have a couple questions after reading a lot of recomp and cutting logs I'm wondering if my metabolism sucks as bad as I think it does? I'm 38yrs old, 5'9.5"and 242lbs. I have a desk job and lift 5 times a week mostly big lifts, squsts, deads, incline bench, clean and jerk, pull ups, rows, etc. I alternate from heavy lifting, low rep and high set to medium weight, classic bb reps/sets each week. I typically do 15-20min of inclined fast walk/jog following lifting. 2 months ago I dropped from 2200 cals (maintenance) to 1800, scale didn't budge at all after a month, Energy levels weren't great so day 30 I bumped up to 2000 cals and added 2gms/day sns tta, I'm at day 60 now (see pic) and the scale hasn't budged. 3pt calipers have me 23% bf. I'm hardcore keto cause anytime I add carbs I pack on lbs faster than stay puff injecting liquid Krispy kremes. With keto I'm at least able to maintain. When I read logs/posts I see guys my age who are 80lbs less but are 500+ more cals while cutting.

Is my metabolism shot?
Do I need to do more?
Does bf% look accurate?

20160927_101759.jpg

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
Get thyroid and metabolism checked for sure, if you were in a coma and lying in bed your body would need allegedly need 2200 cals just to keep you alive... At 1800 and your activity level pounds should be coming off.

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
You seem to have posted twice my response to first post was

Sorry I must become of those guys as currently stable at ~160 lbs but I generally I lose a pound a week on 2200-2300 kcals a day - couple of questions

1 - you say you are on a Keto diet, what are your current macros? as I am surprised you are not losing weight at the low levels of caloric intake at your current body weight.

2 - have you had your thyroid checked?

3 - how long are you lifting per session and how many reps / sets typically per workout?

pigeonjp

Awards
Get thyroid and metabolism checked for sure, if you were in a coma and lying in bed your body would need allegedly need 2200 cals just to keep you alive... At 1800 and your activity level pounds should be coming off.
Ok I have a physical coming up soon I'll have to ask the doc for those tests. Thanks

habajaba

habajaba

Awards
  • Established
My metabolism sucks too. Always has. Bloodwork on thyroid and all that came back fine. For me, it took bringing cals down to 1400-1750 to get my body burning. Fat burners like MST Shred have been quite effective for me as well.

pigeonjp

Awards
You seem to have posted twice my response to first post was

Sorry I must become of those guys as currently stable at ~160 lbs but I generally I lose a pound a week on 2200-2300 kcals a day - couple of questions

1 - you say you are on a Keto diet, what are your current macros? as I am surprised you are not losing weight at the low levels of caloric intake at your current body weight.

2 - have you had your thyroid checked?

3 - how long are you lifting per session and how many reps / sets typically per workout?
1 - macros - carbs less 25g (not including fiber), protein 125g (any more and my ketonix readings start to drop) and fat 155g

2 - not yet, going to ask the doc at my upcoming physical in about a month

3 - alternate each week lifting is around 30min, 30-60seconds rest
Heavy week example
Squats - 8 sets 315 x 5-6reps
Deads - 8 sets 375 x 5-6reps

Moderate week example
Squats - 8 sets 225 x 10-12reps
Deads - 8 sets 275 x 10-12reps

Also 15-20min fast walk/jog on 7 out of 10 incline treadmill after lifting

pigeonjp

Awards
My metabolism sucks too. Always has. Bloodwork on thyroid and all that came back fine. For me, it took bringing cals down to 1400-1750 to get my body burning. Fat burners like MST Shred have been quite effective for me as well.
What's your height/weight? I've tried quite a few fat burners including bronx/caff. Not much luck.

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
Ok macros on point as far as Keto is concerned and realistically nothing wrong with your training so let's see what the doc says, you don't sleep walk to the kitchen at night do you? Lol

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
What's your height/weight? I've tried quite a few fat burners including bronx/caff. Not much luck.
I have found fat burners do f*** all for me, for me weight loss is all about reducing carbs to sub 100 g per day and the weight drops steadily rather than fluctuating if carbs are higher than that.

pigeonjp

Awards
Lol no I wish that was the problem! My sleep sucks though, 6 hrs is about the longest I can go.

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
7-8 per night for me but I am getting old

habajaba

habajaba

Awards
  • Established
6'2" 215. Shred helped me drop 8# in 2 weeks, from a plateau weight. From there, it's been a recomp, so I don't have useful weight loss numbers. I use BronkAid and sometimes caffeine with my non-stim PWO, but never tried ECA. Personally I'd prefer buying something like Shred than have to show my license at Walgreens more than I already do. :)

pigeonjp

Awards
6'2" 215. Shred helped me drop 8# in 2 weeks, from a plateau weight. From there, it's been a recomp, so I don't have useful weight loss numbers. I use BronkAid and sometimes caffeine with my non-stim PWO, but never tried ECA. Personally I'd prefer buying something like Shred than have to show my license at Walgreens more than I already do. :)
Alright I'll check out shred(who makes it?), I'm currently awaiting some ol ignit3, hoping that might help. Also have that about liquid labs t2 but can't find a lot of reviews on it, only a couple logs on here. Plus at this point probably better to wait for test results first. Although on the other hand if the ll t2 worked that might indicate the same as the test.

habajaba

habajaba

Awards
  • Established
Alright I'll check out shred(who makes it?), I'm currently awaiting some ol ignit3, hoping that might help. Also have that about liquid labs t2 but can't find a lot of reviews on it, only a couple logs on here. Plus at this point probably better to wait for test results first. Although on the other hand if the ll t2 worked that might indicate the same as the test.
MST makes Shred, https://millenniumsport.net/. I believe jalfrey has a coupon in his sig for a 50% discount too. It's the first fat burner I've tried that actually worked for me. But as we all know, everyone's body reacts to these things differently. I won a tub of OL Bloodshr3d a couple weeks ago, so I'll be giving that a try when it gets here too... Heard good things about Ignit3, but never tried it.

jalfrey

jalfrey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
MST makes Shred, https://millenniumsport.net/. I believe jalfrey has a coupon in his sig for a 50% discount too. It's the first fat burner I've tried that actually worked for me. But as we all know, everyone's body reacts to these things differently. I won a tub of OL Bloodshr3d a couple weeks ago, so I'll be giving that a try when it gets here too... Heard good things about Ignit3, but never tried it.
OP, use RJA at checkout to get 50% off your whole cart! We'll hook you up with samples of some of our other products too.

Thanks for the shout-out, habajaba !