How much weight to lose per week?

Pmo1212

Awards
So I'm currently cutting and not too sure what the optimal amount of fat to lose per week is. Some people say 1 and others say 3 or so. I'm lifting 5 days a week with a couple of cardio sessions and I'm losing about 1.5 lbs a week.

Tylerclee

Tylerclee

Awards
  • Established
The slower you cut the more muscle retention, but the most "bang for your buck" is said to be 1.5 lbs/week.

Pmo1212

Awards
All that test I'm shooting should help with muscle sparing lol

Tylerclee

Tylerclee

Awards
  • Established
Haha gotcha. Then I'd say plenty of protein and drop that fat asap

razerx

Awards
With extra test you really don't need to limit the loss as long as you get enough protein, otherwise about 0.7-1% of BW is a good pace to retain muscle

snowwolf

snowwolf

Awards
Even with anabolics you generally dont want to see more than 2lbs a week being lost. 2lbs a week is awesome if someone could burn that much fat in a week.

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think it depends on how much fat you have to lose. Someone who is very heavy can get away with losing more weight without losing muscle than someone who is relatively lean.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
So I'm currently cutting and not too sure what the optimal amount of fat to lose per week is. Some people say 1 and others say 3 or so. I'm lifting 5 days a week with a couple of cardio sessions and I'm losing about 1.5 lbs a week.
If your morbidly obese, you can lose way more than the average person without issue on a week to week basis.

If your average or in the healthy range of bodyfat, I would shoot for 1 lb to 3 a week. Think of it as more of a range than a set number.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
All of it.