Instead of ground oats...

  1. E-BOLLER
    Supa Freek 420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Age
    38
    Posts
    434
    Rep Power
    364
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    77.87%

    Instead of ground oats...


    for all of you that make your own MRP/gainers, has anybody used oat flour instead of grinding up your own oats? Noticed that lean mass matrix uses this along w/barley and brown rice flours for carb sources.

  2. YellowJacket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    0
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    95.44%
    Achievements Activity Pro

    Have an specs on it?
  3. E-BOLLER
    Supa Freek 420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Age
    38
    Posts
    434
    Rep Power
    364
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    77.87%

    All I remember is 19g carbs and 3g fiber per 1/3 cup. So about the same as oats(give or take a little).
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    Dio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    156
    Rep Power
    224
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    9.77%

    I've wondering about almond flour myself. I just keep thinking that flour = high GI.

    Here's a link for anyone curious:

    http://www9.netrition.com/almond_cla...lour_page.html

    I wish that hadn't blanched the almonds first.
  5. E-BOLLER
    Supa Freek 420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Age
    38
    Posts
    434
    Rep Power
    364
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    77.87%

    Originally posted by Dio
    I've wondering about almond flour myself. I just keep thinking that flour = high GI.

    Here's a link for anyone curious:

    http://www9.netrition.com/almond_cla...lour_page.html

    I wish that hadn't blanched the almonds first.
    Almond flour looks interesting but not enough carbs for gaining purposes.

    Also I don't think that oat flour would have that much of a higher GI than ground oats, would it?
  6. New Member
    pogue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    425
    Rep Power
    14010
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    9.23%

    You could grind up flax seeds and get your EFAs, fiber and good calories. Not sure about the carb value. bulkfoods.com has 10lb of flax for like $15
  7. Senior Member
    Biggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,285
    Rep Power
    787
    Level
    30
    Lv. Percent
    49.45%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    My personal favorite is Red Mill's Ground Flax Meal... hella cheap, most good health food places have refrigerated light resistant bags of the stuff, and 2 tbs has something like 4g carb (all insol if memory serves), 4.5g fat (efa's of course) and a fair amount of protein... I mix the **** left and right with cottage cheese, put it in shakes, etc.
  8. New Member
    Timbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Age
    34
    Posts
    33
    Rep Power
    160
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    27.44%

    Well, there's evidence that ground oats do not elicit a greater insulin response than whole or rolled oats, but I can't say the same for oat flour:

    Am J Clin Nutr 1988 Apr;47(4):675-82 Related Articles, Links


    Particle size of wheat, maize, and oat test meals: effects on plasma glucose and insulin responses and on the rate of starch digestion in vitro.

    Heaton KW, Marcus SN, Emmett PM, Bolton CH.

    University Department of Medicine, Bristol Royal Infirmary, UK.

    When normal volunteers ate isocaloric wheat-based meals, their plasma <b>insulin responses (peak concentration and area under curve) increased stepwise: whole grains less than cracked grains less than coarse flour less than fine flour.</b> <i>Insulin responses</i> were also greater with fine maizemeal than with whole or cracked maize grains but <i>were similar with whole groats, rolled oats, and fine oatmeal.</i> The peak-to-nadir swing of plasma glucose was greater with wheat flour than with cracked or whole grains. In vitro starch hydrolysis by pancreatic amylase was faster with decreasing particle size with all three cereals. Correlation with the in vivo data was imperfect. Oat-based meals evoked smaller glucose and insulin responses than wheat- or maize-based meals. Particle size influences the digestion rate and consequent metabolic effects of wheat and maize but not oats. The increased insulin response to finely ground flour may be relevant to the etiology of diseases associated with hyperinsulinemia and to the management of diabetes.


    On a sidenote, Bob's Red Mill products are simply outstanding.
  9. E-BOLLER
    Supa Freek 420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Age
    38
    Posts
    434
    Rep Power
    364
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    77.87%

    Originally posted by pogue
    You could grind up flax seeds and get your EFAs, fiber and good calories. Not sure about the carb value. bulkfoods.com has 10lb of flax for like $15
    Yeah, I already do that though. What I'm looking for is a carb source that is low-GI, but want to skip a step by not grinding the oats.
  10. E-BOLLER
    Supa Freek 420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Age
    38
    Posts
    434
    Rep Power
    364
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    77.87%

    Originally posted by Biggin
    My personal favorite is Red Mill's Ground Flax Meal... hella cheap, most good health food places have refrigerated light resistant bags of the stuff, and 2 tbs has something like 4g carb (all insol if memory serves), 4.5g fat (efa's of course) and a fair amount of protein... I mix the **** left and right with cottage cheese, put it in shakes, etc.
    I like Red Mill too, but it costs 3x what buying the whole seeds would. Guess I'll keep grindin'.
  11. New Member
    pogue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    425
    Rep Power
    14010
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    9.23%

    You could buy a little cheap seed grinder or coffee grinder. I use a small seed grinder and grind up my oats into powder. Much better than having to chew my shake

    Just a thought.
  12. E-BOLLER
    Supa Freek 420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Age
    38
    Posts
    434
    Rep Power
    364
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    77.87%

    Originally posted by pogue
    You could buy a little cheap seed grinder or coffee grinder. I use a small seed grinder and grind up my oats into powder. Much better than having to chew my shake

    Just a thought.
    I have my coffee grinder, that has never seen a coffee bean in its lifetime. Guess I'll continue using it. Just wanted to see if I could improve the texture by using flour. Sometimes when I'm chugging it down I get some oats that haven't been ground very well, and end up scratching my throat. Never happens with the seeds alone, so I'm assuming it's the oats.
  13. Senior Member
    Biggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,285
    Rep Power
    787
    Level
    30
    Lv. Percent
    49.45%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Yeah? I didn't think it was that expensive... granted, the seeds are cheaper but Red Mill's **** is supreme quality, and I buy huge ****in bags for like 3$... maybe they're more $$ where you are, I dunno... on the grinding, you might try shaking it around as you grind, I find that helps get the grounds finer, even back when I was grinding flax... or, mebbe the grinder ain't powerful enough *shrug*
  14. E-BOLLER
    Supa Freek 420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Age
    38
    Posts
    434
    Rep Power
    364
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    77.87%

    Originally posted by Biggin
    Yeah? I didn't think it was that expensive... granted, the seeds are cheaper but Red Mill's **** is supreme quality, and I buy huge ****in bags for like 3$... maybe they're more $$ where you are, I dunno... on the grinding, you might try shaking it around as you grind, I find that helps get the grounds finer, even back when I was grinding flax... or, mebbe the grinder ain't powerful enough *shrug*
    I can get the one pound bag of Bob's for $3-4, depending on where I go. I can get the whole seed for $1/lb. Think I'll stick with the whole seed. Maybe it is my grinder, but most is ground up. Some oats just get lost in the fold I guess. Oh well...
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-08-2007, 06:01 PM
  2. B12 instead of BW with IGF
    By FullyBuilt in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 05-14-2005, 05:54 PM
  3. High-dose fish oil instead of CLA
    By Jcc in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-09-2004, 08:39 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-21-2003, 11:59 PM
  5. UCP-1: Why L-Carnitine instead of ALCAR?
    By GuyinLA in forum Supplements
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-20-2003, 09:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in