Losing Weight(fat) but Gaining Muscle at the same time

Bmk4191

Awards
This is an opinionated question but what is the best way to burn fat(lose weight) and gain muscle. Can they be done at the same time effectively? Should you lose a certain amount of fat first then convert to focusing on muscle building? I currently weigh 205lbs and have 15% body fat. I have been dieting and doing cardio the past 60 days and lost 17-20lbs as I weighed about 225lbs. My diet consisted of clean eating with one cheat meal a week. I didn't figure out the macros but my eating habits have never been cleaner. I played football until I was 20 now I'm 25. Packed on the weight from 23-25. My normal physique is broad shoulders, big arms, flat stomach. People always ask me where I played football. I'm just not used to being on the heavier side and trying to not overthink it but also don't want to spin my wheels. Just giving background on me.

QUESTION : Lose more fat before lifting hard and introducing supplements/extras? Or can I do both effectively and achieve optimal results?

I can do whatever is necessary. Time restriction and what not isn't an issue.

Tagger

Tagger

Awards
This is an opinionated question but what is the best way to burn fat(lose weight) and gain muscle. Can they be done at the same time effectively? Should you lose a certain amount of fat first then convert to focusing on muscle building? I currently weigh 205lbs and have 15% body fat. I have been dieting and doing cardio the past 60 days and lost 17-20lbs as I weighed about 225lbs. My diet consisted of clean eating with one cheat meal a week. I didn't figure out the macros but my eating habits have never been cleaner. I played football until I was 20 now I'm 25. Packed on the weight from 23-25. My normal physique is broad shoulders, big arms, flat stomach. People always ask me where I played football. I'm just not used to being on the heavier side and trying to not overthink it but also don't want to spin my wheels. Just giving background on me.

QUESTION : Lose more fat before lifting hard and introducing supplements/extras? Or can I do both effectively and achieve optimal results?

I can do whatever is necessary. Time restriction and what not isn't an issue.
Add in supplements, you got the diet on track already. Yeah you can do both at the same time, each of them just happen at a slower rate. Honestly, count the **** out of your calories, go lower carb & more protein and you will get the results that you want.

Going for both is a good idea if you have a lot of time, that's what I would recommend.

Bmk4191

Awards
I can honestly say I eat 6 egg whites every morning with diced up hot peppers, 1/2 chicken breast and a glass of orange juice. If I have a snack it's a banana or peach. Lunch is either a chicken breast or broiled fish with vegetables, brown rice and salsa on top of the rice. My snack now might be nothing depending upon where I am or 1 cup of shelled peanuts. Dinner is usually chicken, steak or fish and I always add shrimp for something familiar along with a bowl of cucumber skin and lettuce with 2tbps of vinegarette , baked potato, and broccoli or asparagus. I can't eat anymore in the day I'm just not hungry. I'll have to track everything. But I can honestly say I've never felt so good, had so much energy, etc. I feel like I'm using airplane fuel

Last edited:
Tagger

Tagger

Awards
I can honestly say I eat 6 egg whites every morning with diced up hot peppers, 1/2 chicken breast and a glass of orange juice. If I have a snack it's a banana or peach. Lunch is either a chicken breast or broiled fish with vegetables, brown rice and salsa on top of the rice. My snack now might be nothing depending upon where I am or 1 cup of shelled peanuts. Dinner is usually chicken, steak or fish and I always add shrimp for something familiar along with a bowl of cucumber skin and lettuce with 2tbps of vinegarette , baked potato, and broccoli or asparagus. I can't eat anymore in the day I'm just not hungry. I'll have to track everything. But I can honestly say I've never felt so good, had so much energy, etc. I feel like I'm using airplane fuel
I always feel better when I eat right. It would be amazing if carbs made me cut up. I would be in heaven. Lol.

Looks like a pretty good diet man.

If you ever need to really cut some fat, Keto is the way to go, but this will get you bulked up & and thinned out.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Its very difficult to build muscle and lose fat at the same time, but it can be done. It requires a very solid understanding of how your body responds to carbs and fats. I would focus on one goal (fat loss or muscle gain) and stick to it for a few months and reassess your goals at that point. If you want to lose fat you can still lift heavy, and chances are you'll continue to gain strength if you're new training or haven't done it in a while. Dial in your diet, count your calories, and figure out what works best for you body. Everyone is different with calorie maintenance, so it'll take some trial and error to learn how your body works best.

As far as supplementation goes, I would suggest taking creatine as a staple supplement, and whey protein to hit your protein requirements. You could also add in a thermogenic if your goal is fat loss, or you could consider adding in Alphamax XT which would be a great product for where you're at with your future goals. Alphamax XT is an all in one product that can help increase natural testosterone levels, limit estrogen and cortisol, and help with recovery. It also contains forskolin, which has been studied to help increase lean body mass and decrease body fat - which is exactly what you're looking to do.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree with all what was said above and like to add: Ostarine.
It's a great recomp help, at least it worked for me in the past.

Tagger

Tagger

Awards
I agree with all what was said above and like to add: Ostarine.
It's a great recomp help, at least it worked for me in the past.
To each their own. I didn't enjoy Osta that much. :(

Glad it worked for you!

Bmk4191

Awards
Tagger what were the side effects or reasons you had issues with Ostarine?

Bmk4191

Awards
Dr.C curious about your view on intermittent fasting. Please explain

ToughMech

Awards
Ive done both at the same time but its a very slow process and you need to monitor your weight and add or remove carbs based on what you weigh. Your weight should stay the same but you will see a change in your body for the better. Try starting with your maintenance calories have a solid workout plan that includes some cardio but don't overdo it. Weigh yourself every few weeks but not too much so your body has time to become adjusted to what you doing (I did every 3 weeks). If your losing weight then add more carbs and if your gaining weight remove carbs, just a little at a time. This should be a great start, however you will eventually need to pick one or the other if you want even bigger changes.

Spurfy

Awards
  • Established
This is an opinionated question but what is the best way to burn fat(lose weight) and gain muscle.
rhGH, 2-4 iu/day given as subcutaneous injection at bedtime, 12.5 mg exemestane E3D with a high-fat meal, along with carb cycling, strength training 3-4 days per week, and HIIT 3-4 days per week. 12 weeks of this and you'll look completely different.

Can they be done at the same time effectively?
See above. Note that you asked "What's the best way?" Some would argue that test, tren, anavar, clen, T3, and ECA, (etc) would be the best way -- they're wrong. My method doesn't suppress you (it does the opposite, increasing natural test production), doesn't screw up lipids (it improves them), won't cause acne, can be used even by a 20 year old without any long-term risk, and uses drugs that are very effective, at those dosages are nearly side-effect free, are very safe, and are not federally scheduled.

I can do whatever is necessary.
Well then, you're in luck!

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Pick one goal and stick to it. You're not going to be able to do both lose fat and gain lean mass since one requires a caloric surplus and the other requires a caloric deficit. he only way you will achieve that is wit hormones, and even that is tough. Osta is hormonal. If you want to go that route, then do so, but I would probably get to a lower body fat and better foundation before running anything hormonal.

Spurfy

Awards
  • Established
Pick one goal and stick to it. You're not going to be able to do both lose fat and gain lean mass since one requires a caloric surplus and the other requires a caloric deficit.
This is untrue bro-science that has no basis in reality. Protein anabolism only requires that amino acid intake be greater than the rate of amino acid excretion (ie, muscle breakdown). Even in a overall calorie deficit, if the body is using fat stores to supplement a dietary calorie deficiency, protein anabolism can and does occur. Why is this so hard for people to understand? There is no "calorie deficit" if your body is tapping fat stores for fuel.

Nutrient partitioning is what matters, not this tired old baseless "calories in vs. calories out" crap. This is why intermittent fasting is so effective -- the significant chronic elevation in GH and the changes in insulin, leptin, glucagon, NPY, ghrelin, glucose utilization, and amino acid uptake, allow for relatively easy simultaneous muscle building and fat loss, so long as amino acid intake is adequate and there is a stimulus for growth (ie, weight training).

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is untrue bro-science that has no basis in reality. Protein anabolism only requires that amino acid intake be greater than the rate of amino acid excretion (ie, muscle breakdown). Even in a overall calorie deficit, if the body is using fat stores to supplement a dietary calorie deficiency, protein anabolism can and does occur. Why is this so hard for people to understand? There is no "calorie deficit" if your body is tapping fat stores for fuel.

Nutrient partitioning is what matters, not this tired old baseless "calories in vs. calories out" crap. This is why intermittent fasting is so effective -- the significant chronic elevation in GH and the changes in insulin, leptin, glucagon, NPY, ghrelin, glucose utilization, and amino acid uptake, allow for relatively easy simultaneous muscle building and fat loss, so long as amino acid intake is adequate and there is a stimulus for growth (ie, weight training).
IF's benefits are grossly overstated. Not saying there aren't benefits, but they will do very little in terms of improving body composition. It is a great tool for those that have a small eating window due to work, school or personal life.

Spurfy

Awards
  • Established
IF's benefits are grossly overstated. Not saying there aren't benefits, but they will do very little in terms of improving body composition.
Well, science disagrees with you.

1. Fasting enhances growth hormone secretion and amplifies the complex rhythms of growth hormone secretion in man.
J Clin Invest. 1988 Apr; 81(4): 968–975.

2. Effects of intermittent fasting on body composition and clinical health markers in humans.
Nutr Rev. 2015 Oct;73(10):661-74.

3. Effects of intermittent fasting on metabolism in men.
Rev Assoc Med Bras. 2013 Mar-Apr;59(2):167-73.

4. Beneficial effects of intermittent fasting and caloric restriction on the cardiovascular and cerebrovascular systems.
J Nutr Biochem. 2005 Mar;16(3):129-37.

5. Meal size and frequency affect neuronal plasticity and vulnerability to disease: cellular and molecular mechanisms.
J Neurochem. 2003 Feb;84(3):417-31.

6. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor mediates an excitoprotective effect of dietary restriction in mice. (*Excitotoxins damage the hypothalamus and promote obesity through dysregulation of endocrine function*)
J Neurochem. 2001 Jan;76(2):619-26.

7. Dietary restriction stimulates BDNF production in the brain and thereby protects neurons against excitotoxic injury. (*Excitotoxins damage the hypothalamus and promote obesity through dysregulation of endocrine function*)
J Mol Neurosci. 2001 Feb;16(1):1-12.

8. A Systematic Review of the Literature on Intermittent Fasting for Weight Management
The FASEB Journal vol. 29 no. 1 Supplement 117.4

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, science disagrees with you.

1. Fasting enhances growth hormone secretion and amplifies the complex rhythms of growth hormone secretion in man.
J Clin Invest. 1988 Apr; 81(4): 968–975.

2. Effects of intermittent fasting on body composition and clinical health markers in humans.
Nutr Rev. 2015 Oct;73(10):661-74.

3. Effects of intermittent fasting on metabolism in men.
Rev Assoc Med Bras. 2013 Mar-Apr;59(2):167-73.

4. Beneficial effects of intermittent fasting and caloric restriction on the cardiovascular and cerebrovascular systems.
J Nutr Biochem. 2005 Mar;16(3):129-37.

5. Meal size and frequency affect neuronal plasticity and vulnerability to disease: cellular and molecular mechanisms.
J Neurochem. 2003 Feb;84(3):417-31.

6. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor mediates an excitoprotective effect of dietary restriction in mice. (*Excitotoxins damage the hypothalamus and promote obesity through dysregulation of endocrine function*)
J Neurochem. 2001 Jan;76(2):619-26.

7. Dietary restriction stimulates BDNF production in the brain and thereby protects neurons against excitotoxic injury. (*Excitotoxins damage the hypothalamus and promote obesity through dysregulation of endocrine function*)
J Mol Neurosci. 2001 Feb;16(1):1-12.

8. A Systematic Review of the Literature on Intermittent Fasting for Weight Management
The FASEB Journal vol. 29 no. 1 Supplement 117.4
Dude, stop with this scene mumbo jumbo bull crap man. Last time I checked a lab coat never won sh!t...ask ben pakulski how science is working out for him. I also checked and yep, no IFBB pros follow IF.

Not saying it's not applicable in some scenarios but to recomp as fast as possible and hold on and or gain as much muscle mass as humanly possible...no IF sucks

Spurfy

Awards
  • Established
Dude, stop with this scene mumbo jumbo bull crap man. Last time I checked a lab coat never won sh!t...ask ben pakulski how science is working out for him. I also checked and yep, no IFBB pros follow IF.
They don't have to, they pump themselves full of drugs. For normal people who aren't hardcore drug addicts with an extreme body image disorder, IF works very, very well.

Not saying it's not applicable in some scenarios but to recomp as fast as possible and hold on and or gain as much muscle mass as humanly possible...no IF sucks
"As fast as possible" and "best way" are two different things. I'm sorry if you can't understand the difference.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Intermittent Fasting did not work well for me. In theory it works great for most.
IMHO it has to do with the activity level during fast time. As someone sitting almost 10 hours in front of a computer (job), my calorie expenditure is to low to make it work.
Best recomp results for me was on a carb restricted, high protein diet with 800 kcal deficit, using ostarine , 4-5 workout days/week GVT and short bursts of cardio, like bicycle at 150 HR for 10 minutes per workout day.
I bet it's different for everyone, there is not only one way to do it.

Spurfy

Awards
  • Established
Intermittent Fasting did not work well for me. In theory it works great for most.
IMHO it has to do with the activity level during fast time. As someone sitting almost 10 hours in front of a computer (job), my calorie expenditure is to low to make it work.
Best recomp results for me was on a carb restricted, high protein diet with 800 kcal deficit, using ostarine , 4-5 workout days/week GVT and short bursts of cardio, like bicycle at 150 HR for 10 minutes per workout day.
I bet it's different for everyone, there is not only one way to do it.
I agree that IF isn't right for everyone, and in my reply to the OP, I didn't even recommend it, I recommended rhGH w/ exemestane, carb cycling, lifting, and HIIT. That's my "best way" to recomp. IF is too psychologically demanding for most people. I've done multiple 10-day water-only fasts supplemented with baclofen (and electrolytes) and lost 7-8 pounds of fat (losing only 1 lb of lean tissue), but I'm not under the impression that this is the "best way" for most people. The "best way" is the least harmful and most easily adhered to plan. What I disagree with is the assertion that IF doesn't promote significant, positive, long-term metabolic and body composition changes in those who adhere to it.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
They don't have to, they pump themselves full of drugs. For normal people who aren't hardcore drug addicts with an extreme body image disorder, IF works very, very well.

"As fast as possible" and "best way" are two different things. I'm sorry if you can't understand the difference.
I don't pump myself full of drugs and don't have any issues and I'll venture to say I probably have one of the top 3 physiques on this board.

Again, saying IF is the "best way" is Ludacris.

Spurfy

Awards
  • Established
I don't pump myself full of drugs and don't have any issues and I'll venture to say I probably have one of the top 3 physiques on this board.
Great! I'm super duper happy for you!

Quote me where I said this -- I said no such thing.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Just stop Save your time. Some are TOO set in their ways and will never hear the other side. He is an example. I'm out of this thread.

Spurfy

Awards
  • Established
Just stop Save your time. Some are TOO set in their ways and will never hear the other side. He is an example. I'm out of this thread.
I'm still trying to figure out where I said IF was the best. In post #17, I said "This is why intermittent fasting is so effective..." after I outlined a recomp plan in post #15 that did not even mention IF. Then I posted some studies after you erroneously claimed that IF does very little to improve body composition, showing that you were very wrong.

I'm sorry, but impressive physiques notwithstanding, I'm going to have to give both of you an "F" in reading comprehension.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Amen....holier than thow...typical IF/IIFYM. I've been in the game too long, should have known better. It's really all my fault.

Good to see you still posting on here brother

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Pick one goal and stick to it. You're not going to be able to do both lose fat and gain lean mass since one requires a caloric surplus and the other requires a caloric deficit. he only way you will achieve that is wit hormones, and even that is tough. Osta is hormonal. If you want to go that route, then do so, but I would probably get to a lower body fat and better foundation before running anything hormonal.
I agree to that too, having learned my lessons doing hormone-stuff with high BF (not osta).
What we all can agree on is, changing body composition in a sustainable way, takes time,changing of habits and discipline - no quick fix here.
Even with a ton of drugs, you may see progress sort of quickly, but after dropping the chems, it falls apart.

usedtobebig

usedtobebig

Awards
I was in your exact same situation. Played football until 21, then absolutely blew up until 26 (still 26).

Playing weight: 215 @ 13% BF (that's electronic scale measurement so take it with a grain of salt. Had abs but was not shredded)

Worst weight: 301

Current weight: 209

I wanted to lose fat and wasn't extremely concerned with getting big again but I ended up putting on a bit of muscle. Your not in the bad state I was in so it won't be as difficult.
I was strict keto during this. What worked for me was inclined treadmill walking for an hour a day for cardio in the a.m. and heavy lifting in the p.m. Fat melted away and I thought I would lose muscle but I gained it.
I think that if you have had muscle mass before, your body can kick back into it quickly. Even if the beginning sucks.

Workout went like this, and I did not count calories just very strict on my keto.

Morning
1 hour at 3-7% incline@ 3mph

Evening (2-3x a week)
-Deadlift
1x4 @ 315
20 Box Jumps
2x2 @ 405
20 Box Jumps
1x1 @ 495
20 Box Jumps
1x1 @ 495
20 Box Jumps

-Front Squats
1x6 @ 225
1x4 @ 315
1x2 @ 365
2x1 @ 405

-Handstand Push-ups
4x6

-Single Leg Press
Same as front Squats

I normally would not assume anything that worked for me would work for others, but it sounds like we have similar back grounds. Hope some part of this is helpful.

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Ok lol to people saying that you can lose fat and build muscle at the same time. You're right it can be done under two circumstances. If you're a newbie to weight lifting and if you're using steroids. THAT IS IT!! It's really disappointing to read people saying that this can be done naturally under any other circumstance. This is the most basic concept that you figure out once you begin to realize the fitness industry is full of lies. Even if you were able to do this naturally you would never know. The effects would be so small and take so long to accomplish that in the end it wouldn't be worth it. This is the type of thing that I have to explain to a 15 yr old girl who asks if you can build muscle and burn fat at the same time. ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN...EVER!! I feel like I'm on a beta version of bb dot com reading some of these replies. Like you don't know that you can't build muscle and burn fat at the same time? Lol

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thank you!!!

kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established
Its very difficult to build muscle and lose fat at the same time, but it can be done. It requires a very solid understanding of how your body responds to carbs and fats. I would focus on one goal (fat loss or muscle gain) and stick to it for a few months and reassess your goals at that point. If you want to lose fat you can still lift heavy, and chances are you'll continue to gain strength if you're new training or haven't done it in a while. Dial in your diet, count your calories, and figure out what works best for you body. Everyone is different with calorie maintenance, so it'll take some trial and error to learn how your body works best.

As far as supplementation goes, I would suggest taking creatine as a staple supplement, and whey protein to hit your protein requirements. You could also add in a thermogenic if your goal is fat loss, or you could consider adding in Alphamax XT which would be a great product for where you're at with your future goals. Alphamax XT is an all in one product that can help increase natural testosterone levels, limit estrogen and cortisol, and help with recovery. It also contains forskolin, which has been studied to help increase lean body mass and decrease body fat - which is exactly what you're looking to do.
How do you find out how your body responds to fats and carbs? I have been carb cycling for the last 5 weeks, what would I be looking for? Anything on the scale? I do 2 low carb days followed by 1 high carb.

Low day I consume 100-120g of carbs, 200g protein, 55g fat.
High day I consume 200-250g of carbs, 115g protein, 33g fat.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
How do you find out how your body responds to fats and carbs? I have been carb cycling for the last 5 weeks, what would I be looking for? Anything on the scale? I do 2 low carb days followed by 1 high carb.

Low day I consume 100-120g of carbs, 200g protein, 55g fat.
High day I consume 200-250g of carbs, 115g protein, 33g fat.
From what I've experimented with in my diet, my body doesn't handle carbs too well. I prefer a carb cycling diet, but my carbs are never incredibly high, even while bulking. I can gain weight easily consuming around 2800 calories a day with 200-300g of carbs. When dieting I'll drop carbs to around the same intake as you've posted above, but I keep protein at 1g per pound of body weight.

Depending if you're in a calorie surplus or deficit, you should notice consistent progress with a carb cycling approach. I find that I usually wake up 1-2 pounds heavier on days after a high carb day, but that's common. I would also recommend adding in a GDA/nutrient partitioning product on your high carb days to prevent bloating and to maximize glycogen storage in the muscle. Using a product like Slinmax before your high carb meals can help control insulin levels and allow your body to use the energy more efficiently.

kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established
From what I've experimented with in my diet, my body doesn't handle carbs too well. I prefer a carb cycling diet, but my carbs are never incredibly high, even while bulking. I can gain weight easily consuming around 2800 calories a day with 200-300g of carbs. When dieting I'll drop carbs to around the same intake as you've posted above, but I keep protein at 1g per pound of body weight.

Depending if you're in a calorie surplus or deficit, you should notice consistent progress with a carb cycling approach. I find that I usually wake up 1-2 pounds heavier on days after a high carb day, but that's common. I would also recommend adding in a GDA/nutrient partitioning product on your high carb days to prevent bloating and to maximize glycogen storage in the muscle. Using a product like Slinmax before your high carb meals can help control insulin levels and allow your body to use the energy more efficiently.
I am currently in a deficit. I have been weighing in at 138lbs the last 3 days and today is my high carb day. So if tomorrow morning when I weigh in I'm higher does that mean my body doesn't handle carbs well? Sorry new here! I would LOVE to limit my supps. I also feel like on my high carb days i feel super lean even after a big meal!

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I am currently in a deficit. I have been weighing in at 138lbs the last 3 days and today is my high carb day. So if tomorrow morning when I weigh in I'm higher does that mean my body doesn't handle carbs well? Sorry new here! I would LOVE to limit my supps. I also feel like on my high carb days i feel super lean even after a big meal!
No need to apologize at all! I'm happy to help! If you weight in higher on your day after a high carb day, its mainly due to water retention. Your body will hold approximately 2.7g of water for every gram of carbs you consume, so the extra weight on the scale the next day isn't anything more than water. This doesn't mean that you respond to carbs poorly, its perfectly normal! The body is constantly adjusting how much water it holds as it tries to regulate things, so a change in carb intake can cause a little bloating and water retention - but that's 100% normal. Its not true weight gain!

And yes, many people will feel leaner, fuller, and more vascular after a higher carb day. This is because the extra carbs break down to glycogen, which is then pulled into the muscle for energy. Most people usually look their best the night of or day after a high carb day. This is why most competitors and bodybuilding athletes will "carb up" before a show. Your muscles fill out and you'll look leaner and harder. Carb cycling is a great approach, and its interesting to see how it effects the body on an hourly, daily, and weekly basis

kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established
No need to apologize at all! I'm happy to help! If you weight in higher on your day after a high carb day, its mainly due to water retention. Your body will hold approximately 2.7g of water for every gram of carbs you consume, so the extra weight on the scale the next day isn't anything more than water. This doesn't mean that you respond to carbs poorly, its perfectly normal! The body is constantly adjusting how much water it holds as it tries to regulate things, so a change in carb intake can cause a little bloating and water retention - but that's 100% normal. Its not true weight gain!

And yes, many people will feel leaner, fuller, and more vascular after a higher carb day. This is because the extra carbs break down to glycogen, which is then pulled into the muscle for energy. Most people usually look their best the night of or day after a high carb day. This is why most competitors and bodybuilding athletes will "carb up" before a show. Your muscles fill out and you'll look leaner and harder. Carb cycling is a great approach, and its interesting to see how it effects the body on an hourly, daily, and weekly basis
Ok makes sense! I have been weighing in at 138.0 - I had my high carb day yesterday and weighed in at 138.4 (4am) and then an hour later (after my work out) I weighed in at 137.4... LOL which weight would I choose to go with?

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Ok makes sense! I have been weighing in at 138.0 - I had my high carb day yesterday and weighed in at 138.4 (4am) and then an hour later (after my work out) I weighed in at 137.4... LOL which weight would I choose to go with?
I wouldn't stress over weight fluctuations from day to day. I think the best way to assess progress with weight gain and weight loss is to pick one day of the week to use as your baseline weigh-in. That will be the most consistent way to track progress