Cardio preferences for fat loss? Fasted? Before Lifting? After Lifting?

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
What does everyone here like the best as far as cardio for fatloss? I know my buddy who is a competitor loves fasted treadmill in the morning and then lifting at night.

Some people say don't do cardio before weight training if fasted. Some say don't do anything fasted. What do you guys find the best works for you?

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
I do fasted cardio in the morning before work and then I do a session post workout. I feel that works best for me

NOW I do not always get up for the fasted cardio because I like sleep at times, but I always make sure to hit my post lifting cardio.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I'll do fasted cardio first thing in the morning always and then lift in the evenings.

jalfrey

jalfrey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do it all fasted in the mornings. 10 minutes cardio intervals for warm-up. Lift. 20-30 minutes intervals or steady depending on feels afterwards.

Tagger

Tagger

Awards
I always had the best results while in a fasted state.

xanderjd

Awards
My cardio and workouts are both in a fasted state currently

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I train first thing in the morning and consume 25g whey and 40g carbs intra. Then I follow it up with my cardio. I've found it to be an effective protocol for me for fat loss.

In other cutting phases I've done I've had better results with fasted cardio compared to after a meal. If you're doing HIIT I would suggest consuming some food first though

BorisF

BorisF

Awards
I would say the most important thing is how much fat you hold. If it's for instance 20%+ I wouldn't even care what I do first or second or whenever I eat a meal. At those ranges the fat just melts with "clean" diet and WEIGHTS. Tell us more about what your current situation is.

Like I train with a guy 176cm and he's now 94kg and looking huge in shirt (awesome bone structure, muscle insertions). He started at 115kg and without any cardio he just melted all that weight and keeps melting fat. All we do is LIFT. He is in training for about a year with a two month break included and still keeps on losing fat, gaining muscle plus strength.

RugbyBaller91

RugbyBaller91

Awards
Iv personally never liked running before lifting especially after HIIT I always feel like I end up walking in the gym like a new born gazelle so Iv always done cardio after lifting even on days I have practice I always lift before not after

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do LISS fasted cardio (120-130 BPM) with YHCL and Caffeine for 30-45 minutes and follow that up with my workout.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What does everyone here like the best as far as cardio for fatloss? I know my buddy who is a competitor loves fasted treadmill in the morning and then lifting at night.

Some people say don't do cardio before weight training if fasted. Some say don't do anything fasted. What do you guys find the best works for you?
fasting, 45min intense spinning(180bpm), then weights immediately after.

or

fasting, cardio boot camp with weights.

But it is about food because if you go home and eat a jar of peanut butter there goes the daily intake.

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I remember going to a BB show years ago and asking the pros at the convention what they did. Unequivocally they all said fasted Cardio, panel included Shawn Ray, Flex Wheeler, David Dearth, King Kamali, Bob Ciccherillo just to name a few. Granted they all had some extra "vitamins" to burn fat but I still prefer fasted personally.

max d

Awards
  • Established
I remember going to a BB show years ago and asking the pros at the convention what they did. Unequivocally they all said fasted Cardio, panel included Shawn Ray, Flex Wheeler, David Dearth, King Kamali, Bob Ciccherillo just to name a few. Granted they all had some extra "vitamins" to burn fat but I still prefer fasted personally.
Their roids helped them spare their muscle and hence why someone natural shouldn't necessarily go by what the pros do. Biggest thing to focus on is total caloric intake and expenditure. Try not to get caught up with the little things

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Their roids helped them spare their muscle and hence why someone natural shouldn't necessarily go by what the pros do. Biggest thing to focus on is total caloric intake and expenditure. Try not to get caught up with the little things
Certainly agree. Guess what I was saying that from my personal consensus, Pros all the way down to the novice lifters seem to favor fasted cardio.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Depends on goals. I like to do it either faster or after my workout when my glycogen is used, but I do LISS.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For fasted cardio, I follow a template in the link below. It is a pretty good read. Essentially, take caffeine (I don't) drink some BCAA, do cardio and while doing cardio, slowly sip on another scoop of BCAA.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/semi-fasted-cardio-solution

Regarding cardio after weight lifting, give this second article a look. There is a pretty interesting study.

https://www.infinitelabs.com/rest-period-between-cardio-and-weights/
They recommend their mag product which they always do but it has carbs in it...and a lot of ppl don't consider drinking bcaa's as being fasted because you are feeding your body....not saying I agree or disagree just that ppl will argue it doesn't have to be solid food to not be considered fasted cardio

Some other ppl also consider cardio after heavy weight training as being somewhat fasted....before the second article the only detriment I ever read about cardio after weights was the length of the session....that's why I prefer HIIT cardio which has shown to preserve muscle mass, burn more fat, and of course is shorter than a liss or moderate session

I like to refer to a simplyshresded article as well

19) Best Time For Cardio: After Lifting Weights

A 2007 University of Tokyo (Japan) study showed that 10 male subjects who performed cardio on a stationary bicycle after a weight workout burned significantly more fat than when they did cardio before weights. This is especially true later in the day; University of Wisconsin-La Crosse researchers found that subjects who did cardio between 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. had a higher resting metabolic rate after the workout than when they trained between 5 a.m. and 7 a.m. or between 21 a.m. and 1 p.m.

AllTheGainz

Awards
Fasted, steady state where T>30min at UT1. Preferably in the morning

AllTheGainz

Awards
Heart rate stays below a fixed rate, like 150 bpm. It's long and steady. UT2 is explosiveness. My heart rate averaged 200bpm in those pieces. I rowed for a college, probably ate around 6k cal a day of not more and still lost 6 lbs.

Lynks8

Lynks8

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
While the debate rages on, I can say that I've tried virtually every permutation of cardio: fasted/non-fasted, pre-workout/post-workout, with stims and b-agonists/without, etc, etc, etc.

What has worked best for me so far is ~20 minutes fasted HIIT followed by my lifting session. I take a Y product, (Ignit3 currently), and go hard on my stationary recumbent bike, 1 minute all-out, 2 minutes medium pace, repeat. Then I drink a pre-workout, mix up an amino drink, and go lift. This wakes me up, gets me warm, and actually helps my energy levels in the gym. My gym workouts are typically very intense, with short rest times, effectively adding to my cardio.

Doing it this way, I have managed to get to single digit body fat as a natural.