Farmers walk instead of sprints

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So I'm thinking of trying to do Farmers walks as my HIIT cardio instead of sprints on an elliptical, bike, or treadmill.

has anyone tried this and how is it regarding fat loss vs sprinting?

I should of tried this months ago, I now have 2 months or so and don't want to trade something I've used with success in the past for something that might not work as well

anyone have input?

Flashover821

Awards
I know it sounds stupid but my knees hurt during sprint but not farmer walks, so I'm going to be interested in any info to this too.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Subbed for info. My gym recently got a prowler and I was thinking of incorporating this for HIIT. We also have sprint lanes so heavy farmers walks would be feasible too.

jerard

jerard

Awards
Load carries/Farmer walks use the entire body from the traps down to your feet, i happen to use both. Occasionally i run hill sprints, like tomorrow, this changes things up a little especially if i want to hit my lower back and legs. In the end it all comes down to diet, no matter how much HIT work you do

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Load carries/Farmer walks use the entire body from the traps down to your feet, i happen to use both. Occasionally i run hill sprints, like tomorrow, this changes things up a little especially if i want to hit my lower back and legs. In the end it all comes down to diet, no matter how much HIT work you do
diet is on point and geared toward fat loss, just don't want to slow the rate down if possible

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
Subbed for info. My gym recently got a prowler and I was thinking of incorporating this for HIIT. We also have sprint lanes so heavy farmers walks would be feasible too.
Prowlers are awesome. I only got to use one at my high school gym, but I liked it a lot.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Prowlers are awesome. I only got to use one at my high school gym, but I liked it a lot.
it looks great. I just have no idea how to proper utilize it. I've seen people load it with plates and basically do a slow push, then I see others putting a 25 pound plate on i and sprint one way and back.

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
The sprints with lighter weight on it are more for quickness and explosiveness I believe, it's great cardio and conditioning work either way though

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
So I'm thinking of trying to do Farmers walks as my HIIT cardio instead of sprints on an elliptical, bike, or treadmill.

has anyone tried this and how is it regarding fat loss vs sprinting?

I should of tried this months ago, I now have 2 months or so and don't want to trade something I've used with success in the past for something that might not work as well

anyone have input?
I really guess it would HAVE to come down to if you can keep your HR in the proper zone and recover downward in time for the next set.

I have used them as apart of my HIIT Cardio circuit before but never for the whole thing and I dont strap up for them. Compared to sprinting I just dont see how they could replace them as I feel sprinting takes a little more effort and is easier but I find Yoke carries the hardest of all and really force a total max contraction throughout my body. Farmer carries I feel can be useful in an effort to increase fat loss potential as another mode of exercise, but I do not believe they surpass sprints.

Using the elliptical, bike, or treadmill all have their own pros and cons as well.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I really guess it would HAVE to come down to if you can keep your HR in the proper zone and recover downward in time for the next set.

I have used them as apart of my HIIT Cardio circuit before but never for the whole thing and I dont strap up for them. Compared to sprinting I just dont see how they could replace them as I feel sprinting takes a little more effort and is easier but I find Yoke carries the hardest of all and really force a total max contraction throughout my body. Farmer carries I feel can be useful in an effort to increase fat loss potential as another mode of exercise, but I do not believe they surpass sprints.

Using the elliptical, bike, or treadmill all have their own pros and cons as well.
That's what I was looking for...thanks, this morning I tried them instead of my liss cardio.....I might keep my sprints and get more benefits from doing farmers walk instead of regular walking on my lower intensity cardio days

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Not to resurrect an old thread but to me he biggest difference is type 1 vs 2 muscle fiber activation. Sprinting will def have a higher/stronger contractility while farmers carry would create longer time under tension. What if you combine them? sprint 100m, brisk walk back, 100m farmer carry. That would be epic

jerard

jerard

Awards
what i do now is, when i run hills sprints, i stop and begin to do lunges up hill, then sprint, and so on... your quads will explode

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
it looks great. I just have no idea how to proper utilize it. I've seen people load it with plates and basically do a slow push, then I see others putting a 25 pound plate on i and sprint one way and back.
Try both and see what you like better - they both kick your ass in a different way. I like to mix it up and do a little of both (some lighter sprint pushes and some heavy pushes). I find that the lighter springs really get my heart rate up, and I use heavy loaded pushes more as a leg day finisher

kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established
I've seen so much on HIIT. Doesn't it vary to everyone personally? For instance if I can get to my VO2Max within 15 sec then my intervals will be different compared to someone else that might get to there VO2Max within 30 seconds of the interval? I would love to try farmers walk for HIIT but I workout in the basement and don't know if that can be done....?

slk28

Awards
Walking uses fat stores and sprinting puts u in caloric deficit to my understanding, so it burns off carbs. Walking is great just don't binge after it

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've seen so much on HIIT. Doesn't it vary to everyone personally? For instance if I can get to my VO2Max within 15 sec then my intervals will be different compared to someone else that might get to there VO2Max within 30 seconds of the interval? I would love to try farmers walk for HIIT but I workout in the basement and don't know if that can be done....?
if you have a treadmill, that's how I've been doing farmers walks at the gym.....we really only have 2 spots to do them and if theres a decent amount of ppl there, I'm not going to be able to do them.....so I take them on the treadmill and rest the DB in the cup holders when I'm not carrying them, only problem I've experienced was that I'm short and when I start to fatigue, getting the weight up into the cup holders, I hurt my shoulder a little one day