Losing size while dieting

VWMeatHead

VWMeatHead

Awards
Ok...so this has probably been asked a million times lol...

BUT - How do we diet down while maintaining maximal muscle mass??

My stats currently:

5'8
215 lbs, down from 225

I have a pro bodybuilder writing my nutrition plan...so that should be on point lol. He also wrote my current training schedule.

I'm determined to get SHREDDED this time around...but EVERY time I try to do so I just feel like I sacrifice so much damn size. And it's not like I'm fat when I bulk, just not very defined. Yet...I see so many guys dieting down and they look BIGGER (I realize it is an illusion for the most part)!

Tips, advice, secrets, magic potions...etc. lol would be most welcome.

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
One way to add to the illusion of more size is to get a tan. I know it sounds stupid but it really does help especially when you're dieting down. Unless you're someone who can't tan lol.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
The guys you're referring to who 'look' bigger when they diet down is simply an illusion - a good pump, a tan, and better lighting haha. Dieting down to low body fat levels can be a huge mind f*ck and leave you feeling like a toothpick. From you pictures, you have a great foundation and good size, so even though you may feel that you're losing size you'll still have some good size when you reach that low body fat level.

From your pictures, I would say you're somewhere in the neighborhood of 13-15% bodyfat. So at 215, you're lean body mass is about 185. So if you're looking to cut down to 6-8% body fat, and assuming you lose minimal muscle during your cut - mentally prepare yourself to be weighing somewhere between 195 and 200 pounds. I find a good way to envision it is to do some googling of athletes in stage condition that are close to your stats and target weight, and see what you should aim for.

Are you currently taking any supplements to help with retaining muscle during your cut?

VWMeatHead

VWMeatHead

Awards
The guys you're referring to who 'look' bigger when they diet down is simply an illusion - a good pump, a tan, and better lighting haha. Dieting down to low body fat levels can be a huge mind f*ck and leave you feeling like a toothpick. From you pictures, you have a great foundation and good size, so even though you may feel that you're losing size you'll still have some good size when you reach that low body fat level.

From your pictures, I would say you're somewhere in the neighborhood of 13-15% bodyfat. So at 215, you're lean body mass is about 185. So if you're looking to cut down to 6-8% body fat, and assuming you lose minimal muscle during your cut - mentally prepare yourself to be weighing somewhere between 195 and 200 pounds. I find a good way to envision it is to do some googling of athletes in stage condition that are close to your stats and target weight, and see what you should aim for.

Are you currently taking any supplements to help with retaining muscle during your cut?
Thanks man...very insightful.

Supplement wise - trt dose of test lol.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Honeslty, the most important factor to maintaining size is to diet as slowly as possible. Large calorie deficits will force your body to eat away at everything (fat and muscle) at a much greater rate. If you can go very slowly, this will allow your body to be a bit more "selective" with its burning (fat is slightly easier to burn than muscle, so long as there is not a huge requirement for energy such as in a large deficit).

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
^^^ agreed. Time and consistency are key in this game. Small changes with time will make a big difference.

NutraChem

NutraChem

Awards
Honeslty, the most important factor to maintaining size is to diet as slowly as possible. Large calorie deficits will force your body to eat away at everything (fat and muscle) at a much greater rate. If you can go very slowly, this will allow your body to be a bit more "selective" with its burning (fat is slightly easier to burn than muscle, so long as there is not a huge requirement for energy such as in a large deficit).
Yes you are correct about avoiding extremes, but it can be done dramatically too. However, it takes highly strategic supplementation and it's no game for the novice to play. MCTs are a must, and protein must be sufficient, plus anabolic and anti-catabolic control measures are practically essential.

OR, you can just tough it out and take the loss for about 3wks. After strict starvation for that long the metabolism finally shifts to muscle-sparing, but it's an extremely low energy condition and you burn 100-200g of muscle a day on your way there.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Yes you are correct about avoiding extremes, but it can be done dramatically too. However, it takes highly strategic supplementation and it's no game for the novice to play. MCTs are a must, and protein must be sufficient, plus anabolic and anti-catabolic control measures are practically essential.

OR, you can just tough it out and take the loss for about 3wks. After strict starvation for that long the metabolism finally shifts to muscle-sparing, but it's an extremely low energy condition and you burn 100-200g of muscle a day on your way there.
I'm curious what kind of supplementation you're thinking would counteract this muscle wasting? Obviously legit aas will help here but this isn't the place to discuss that. Hit me with a pm if you have a plan that includes that as I'd be curious just to see what you're thinking as far as supps vs cals vs expectations of losses