Bland chicken and rice

JerryCool17

Awards
Okay, guys I literally eat chicken and rice for every meal except and meal one and my post workout carb shake. Is there anything I could use to substitute this meal? Or make it taste a little better where I can just scarf it down and get it over with? Any ideas? Any recipes or different food that is just as healthy? Except fish I cannot stand fish any sorts I it except shrimp, but shrimp is high in cholesterol so. Any good tips? Thanks

MMAguy

MMAguy

Awards
Hot sauce!
Hot sauce is actually good for you. It contains capsaisan or however you spell it which is known to speed up metabolism.

I put hot sauce on my chicken and canned tuna.
Makes eating plain tuna so much more edible & tasty.

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
MMAguy is right. Hot sauce is a god send. Also, if your diet allows it, use an egg wash and bread your chicken. That's what I've been doing, as well as pretty much shredding it and dousing the whole thing in hot sauce. Makes it easier to get down.

MMAguy

MMAguy

Awards
Also try diced jalepenos in your tuna or sliced jalapenos on your chicken

Warthog13

Awards
Okay, guys I literally eat chicken and rice for every meal except and meal one and my post workout carb shake. Is there anything I could use to substitute this meal? Or make it taste a little better where I can just scarf it down and get it over with? Any ideas? Any recipes or different food that is just as healthy? Except fish I cannot stand fish any sorts I it except shrimp, but shrimp is high in cholesterol so. Any good tips? Thanks
To augment chicken, search recipes for marinades or dry rubs for the chicken...then tailor to your liking. I'm a garlic and herb fan myself. Be careful about store bought marinades, though ==> lots of sodium.

Instead of chicken, have you tried turkey cutlets (I like the 99% lean Jennie-O)? What about lean cuts of beef?

Instead of rice, you can substitute quinoa.

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
Hot Sauce, Soy Sauce, BBQ (if you're eating plan allows it)

I also like to use the McCormick Grill Mate packets, as they really have nothing bad in them and you just add in the EVOO and ACV. Ive been using the chipolite pepper AND Baja Citrus ones recently

bradray5871

Awards
Salsa, fat free sour cream, Frank's, avocado or guacamole, glazes

Lendo

Awards
I agree the hot sauce and the benefits of the hot sauce......

I like a hot Indian curry paste...most supermarkets have an "International" or "Ethnic" aisle or section...you can usually find stuff like this there.

Lendo

Awards
I agree the hot sauce and the benefits of the hot sauce......

I like a hot Indian curry paste...most supermarkets have an "International" or "Ethnic" aisle or section...you can usually find stuff like this there.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Any recipes or different food that is just as healthy?
Just about every other food option is just as healthy

That said, like everyone else mentioned, can't go wrong with some hot sauce. Franks FTW!

Canambrah

Awards
Mrs. dash.

Also, why only chicken? And research is showing dietary cholesterol has little or nothing to do with your blood cholesterol levels.
So I like to spice up my chicken by changing it to steak a couple, three times a week.

god_king

god_king

Awards
walmart has sugar free BBQ sauce... 10 calories like 2 carbs... mrs. dash, onion powder. pepper, garlic powder, try lemon pepper as well

Tylerclee

Tylerclee

Awards
  • Established
If you drink enough water then sodium is fine unless you have high blood pressure or dehydrating for a show (season that chicken) . I like to mix my rice and quinoa, and to use a little soy sauce( a few calories in soy sauce).
Salmon packets are also pretty good!

polarcat

polarcat

Awards
  • Established
Chicken in crockpot with any kind of sauce. I like soy, worch, and garlic. Possibilities are endless. When there's about an hour left, shred it up. Couldn't be easier or tastier

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
Chicken in crockpot with any kind of sauce. I like soy, worch, and garlic. Possibilities are endless. When there's about an hour left, shred it up. Couldn't be easier or tastier
I could've just had a garbage batch of chicken, but last time I used a crock pot for a large amount of chicken, it literally turned to mush and was disgusting. How much chicken are you using, how long are you cooking, etc.?

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
I could've just had a garbage batch of chicken, but last time I used a crock pot for a large amount of chicken, it literally turned to mush and was disgusting. How much chicken are you using, how long are you cooking, etc.?
If that happens just spread it out on a cookie sheet and toss it under the broiler for a little bit, should help crisp it up and make it less like it went through the blender.

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Low 8hrs.

Did you cook from frozen? Add any liquid or sauce?

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
Low 8hrs.

Did you cook from frozen? Add any liquid or sauce?
Cooked on high, unfrozen. Was a in a hurry but thought I could rush it anyway. Was very wrong. I think I used BBQ, honey, and some water. Been almost 2 years since I've done that but it was the last time I used a crock for a large batch of chicken.

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
If that happens just spread it out on a cookie sheet and toss it under the broiler for a little bit, should help crisp it up and make it less like it went through the blender.
Thanks for the tip...never thought of that.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rummage through the seasoning section at your local fresh market. You are unlimited with seasoning mixtures for chicken. I never get over cayenne, taco, or hot sauce.

I do the same with rice and put seasoning in there. I usually switch my carbs up weekly. Rice one week, a type of bean the next, some cut and baked potato with seasoning.

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Cooked on high, unfrozen. Was a in a hurry but thought I could rush it anyway. Was very wrong. I think I used BBQ, honey, and some water. Been almost 2 years since I've done that but it was the last time I used a crock for a large batch of chicken.
Frozen, low, 8hrs.. no water, maybe little chicken broth.

Add bbq or whatever last hour. Should be perfect.

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
Frozen, low, 8hrs.. no water, maybe little chicken broth.

Add bbq or whatever last hour. Should be perfect.
Didn't know you could crock it while still being frozen. Good to know. I used to George Foreman EVERYTHING but it dries the chicken out so badly, especially if you're not eating all of it as soon as it's done. Only plus to that is that you cook off any fat left on it. I'll literally gag if I get a piece of chicken fat in my mouth, with the exception of fried chicken. I have a deployment filled with nothing but sorry excuses for chicken breast to thank for that one, haha.

polarcat

polarcat

Awards
  • Established
I just fill up a basic crockpot frozen or raw. It's possible you had too much liquid, but the broiler idea is good if it gets too mushy. I usually fill it up and cook slow for 8 hrs

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Didn't know you could crock it while still being frozen. Good to know. I used to George Foreman EVERYTHING but it dries the chicken out so badly, especially if you're not eating all of it as soon as it's done. Only plus to that is that you cook off any fat left on it. I'll literally gag if I get a piece of chicken fat in my mouth, with the exception of fried chicken. I have a deployment filled with nothing but sorry excuses for chicken breast to thank for that one, haha.
The trick with the foreman grill is to brush oil on the chicken or marinate it overnight before cooking.

kswiss

kswiss

Awards
I just cut all my chicken breast up into strips. weigh it out and wrap in tin foil. usually do about ten meals worth fat a time. no need for oil cause the chicken fat will melt and stay in the foil. spice with ms dash if you don't want salt, if salt doesn't bother you then any seasoning. sauces I use soy, balsamic vinegar, hot sauce my favorite is the saracha sauce you see at the Chinese restaurants.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hot sauce is my go to. Also another good one is mustard. I find there is way more variety with mustards. Both are good but the only thing is sodium, which may be an issue depending on your overall diet. For me i have to watch because i tend to hold alot of water. Another great carb source is sweet potato. Definitely my favorite. Aside from the taste, I really like the potassium content and i get much better pumps.

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
Hot sauce is my go to. Also another good one is mustard. I find there is way more variety with mustards. Both are good but the only thing is sodium, which may be an issue depending on your overall diet. For me i have to watch because i tend to hold alot of water. Another great carb source is sweet potato. Definitely my favorite. Aside from the taste, I really like the potassium content and i get much better pumps.
How do you prefer to cook your sweet potatoes? I like em' mashed but baked in the microwave if you're in a hurry isn't too bad either. Interesting take on the mustard too, you're right about having a lot of variety there. Horseradish is a good way to spice up bland stuff too.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
How do you prefer to cook your sweet potatoes? I like em' mashed but baked in the microwave if you're in a hurry isn't too bad either. Interesting take on the mustard too, you're right about having a lot of variety there. Horseradish is a good way to spice up bland stuff too.
I actually either will slice thin and bake them to crisp em or i will just boil them. For a while i was clean bulking on mass amounts of boiled chicken breast and sweet potato and i grew like a weed. Those food just work well with me body. Digest easily and keep me full.

I really like siracha mustard, jalepeno mustard and stone ground mustard. Also frenchs honey mustard. All of those have no macros but sodium lol. My favorite is trader joes garlic aoli mustard but it has a little fat in it.

mrgoomba

Awards
id probably look at your nutrition and see how you can tweak it a bit for a bit more variety. I eat the exact same meals each day, but each meal is at least different.

For chicken and rice, I always add guacamole for my fat, and then add in fajita veggies and cholula hot sauce. Poor mans chipotle bowl.

For my sweet potato meal, I mix my chicken, potatos, and veggie (often asparagus or green beans) together and poor franks buffalo sauce on the top. This is my favorite, 16 months now of having for dinner every day and I still crave it.

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
id probably look at your nutrition and see how you can tweak it a bit for a bit more variety. I eat the exact same meals each day, but each meal is at least different.

For chicken and rice, I always add guacamole for my fat, and then add in fajita veggies and cholula hot sauce. Poor mans chipotle bowl.

For my sweet potato meal, I mix my chicken, potatos, and veggie (often asparagus or green beans) together and poor franks buffalo sauce on the top. This is my favorite, 16 months now of having for dinner every day and I still crave it.
Yeah I find mixing whatever you're eating together is a simple yet effective way to trick yourself into thinking it is different. Dousing in sauce is my go to method though.

FaurckkMyronn

Awards
Another hot sauce fan when using chicken and rice. It can be tough, I just had a bad batch of chicken myself and the struggle is real right now

Socalmk6gti

Socalmk6gti

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you have a Trader Joes, look for their green salsa. I think it's called Green Dragon. It's incredible on eggs or chicken. Has a little kick to it but not enough to burn your tongue.

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
Another hot sauce fan when using chicken and rice. It can be tough, I just had a bad batch of chicken myself and the struggle is real right now
I really need to ask

How does one have bad batch of chicken? Like did you buy cheap, spoiled chicken? Did you not cook it right? What made it "bad" to you?

Socalmk6gti

Socalmk6gti

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah I'm not sure about that either. The crockpot is basically boiled chicken (if you add water) or almost baked if you don't. Unless you put 10lbs of chicken in for 4 hours, I can't see it being bad but maybe slightly undercooked. I always stick to about 5-6lbs of chicken for 6-8 hours on low and it turns out great. I even keep it in Tupperware for about 5-6 days and I've never had issues.

kswiss

kswiss

Awards
i cut my sweet potatoes into 1/2 cubes. makes it very easy to weigh. wrap in foil with melted coconut oil. make up as many as you want and throw them in the oven at 350 till they are tender. i make my chicken and sweet potatoes like this just so easy to wrap each meal in foil and throw in the oven and be done with it. have multiple meals cooking at the same time. it takes more prep time but im not cooking every other day. i usually make a weeks worth of food at a time or more. i will freeze the chicken and sweet potatoes cause they will freeze alright. then cook my rice and veggies as needed.

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
I really need to ask

How does one have bad batch of chicken? Like did you buy cheap, spoiled chicken? Did you not cook it right? What made it "bad" to you?
Yeah I'm not sure about that either. The crockpot is basically boiled chicken (if you add water) or almost baked if you don't. Unless you put 10lbs of chicken in for 4 hours, I can't see it being bad but maybe slightly undercooked. I always stick to about 5-6lbs of chicken for 6-8 hours on low and it turns out great. I even keep it in Tupperware for about 5-6 days and I've never had issues.
Only "bad" batches of chicken I've had are from the 5lb+ bags of frozen chicken "breasts". Poor quality amplified by letting it over cook on accident gave me a bad batch. That's really the only time it's been bad for me.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've had bad chicken breast from Sprouts. It tasted like freaking rubber! No wonder it was on sale.

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
i cut my sweet potatoes into 1/2 cubes. makes it very easy to weigh. wrap in foil with melted coconut oil. make up as many as you want and throw them in the oven at 350 till they are tender. i make my chicken and sweet potatoes like this just so easy to wrap each meal in foil and throw in the oven and be done with it. have multiple meals cooking at the same time. it takes more prep time but im not cooking every other day. i usually make a weeks worth of food at a time or more. i will freeze the chicken and sweet potatoes cause they will freeze alright. then cook my rice and veggies as needed.
I've seen this foil method before, will have to try. +1 for coconut oil too. Love that ish.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've seen this foil method before, will have to try. +1 for coconut oil too. Love that ish.
Oh no! I cannot stand the over powering taste of coconut oil. I've been trying to find a non-scented one.

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
Oh no! I cannot stand the over powering taste of coconut oil. I've been trying to find a non-scented one.
The store I go to sells a couple different brands, if I remember, I'll check to see if any of them are non-scented. Maybe you could find the brand online if they are non-scented?

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The store I go to sells a couple different brands, if I remember, I'll check to see if any of them are non-scented. Maybe you could find the brand online if they are non-scented?
This is the only one I found that was non-scented but I don't know why I associate this brand with lard and won't buy it. So weird!!! Lol

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
This is the only one I found that was non-scented but I don't know why I associate this brand with lard and won't buy it. So weird!!! Lol
Lol, I haven't seen that brand in forever. I don't mind cooking with small amounts of lard, but the idea of it is kinda gross, haha.

FaurckkMyronn

Awards
I really need to ask

Baked it must of been slightly bad and I couldn't tell by looking at/smell. I always check my chicken with a meat thermometer to make sure it's cooked to 165 so it was cooked fine, not sure what was wrong with it but thinks have been fine lately. I don't have a crockpot not enough room for one in my small apartment either sadly

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
Baked it must of been slightly bad and I couldn't tell by looking at/smell. I always check my chicken with a meat thermometer to make sure it's cooked to 165 so it was cooked fine, not sure what was wrong with it but thinks have been fine lately. I don't have a crockpot not enough room for one in my small apartment either sadly
Understood BUT they do sell smaller crockpots (ones that do not take up a ton of room) but I understand what you mean

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Understood BUT they do sell smaller crockpots (ones that do not take up a ton of room) but I understand what you mean
I have a small kitchen in my apartment. We store the crockpot in a cabinet until we need it. We also have a small one but cooking times are off. 6-8 hours in a normal crock pot is 3-4 in a small one.

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
I have a small kitchen in my apartment. We store the crockpot in a cabinet until we need it. We also have a small one but cooking times are off. 6-8 hours in a normal crock pot is 3-4 in a small one.
Yeah I have a HUGE one for bigger meals, but a smaller one if I need something that day and only have a small amount of protein or liquid. Once you figure out the cooking times you never have to worry about it again!!!!! Glad to see someone else has the baby crockpot as well!!!

ryox82

Awards
  • Established
I go the opposite route with large/tough cuts of meat and use a pressure cooker. You can have a healthy no flour beef stew ready to go in an hour. More prep time than cook time. You can do quick ribs that way too. Whole chickens, trurkey breasts...your choice.

Coopster44

Coopster44

Awards
Don't forget marinara sauce. You can some very low sodium marinara that tastes great. Some of them don't really have much in them but tomatoes , onions, and peppers. Super good on chicken, I also mix a little bit with ground turkey or ground steak. Very clean just check the brands at your stores. Even better I buy no salt added crushed tomatoes and add fresh garlic, and onion, sauté in a little extra virgin olive oil and top off with basil. 1/2 cup has only 15mgs of sodium. I make 4 cups at a time. Clean as a whistle and good to go. Also wife makes a fresh salsa that's ridiculous over chicken or turkey. Chopped red onion, clove of garlic, chopped tomato, chopped cucumber, fresh cilantro, pepper, and fresh lime juice and dash of salt if able. That's not your high sodium salsa you buy. It's a pain to make so make a lot but again super clean and tastes amazing. My 02

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
Don't forget marinara sauce. You can some very low sodium marinara that tastes great. Some of them don't really have much in them but tomatoes , onions, and peppers. Super good on chicken, I also mix a little bit with ground turkey or ground steak. Very clean just check the brands at your stores. Even better I buy no salt added crushed tomatoes and add fresh garlic, and onion, sauté in a little extra virgin olive oil and top off with basil. 1/2 cup has only 15mgs of sodium. I make 4 cups at a time. Clean as a whistle and good to go. Also wife makes a fresh salsa that's ridiculous over chicken or turkey. Chopped red onion, clove of garlic, chopped tomato, chopped cucumber, fresh cilantro, pepper, and fresh lime juice and dash of salt if able. That's not your high sodium salsa you buy. It's a pain to make so make a lot but again super clean and tastes amazing. My 02
Good suggestion on the marinara, overlooked condiment IMO. To piggyback on that, a hearty mushroom tomato sauce would be good too, provided you're allowed any added sodium.