Fat loss & Coffee?

MMAguy

MMAguy

Awards
This is a tricky one, and thought others may be curious as well so here it goes.

After 'googling' for a bit I've found out its 50/50.
Some say coffee can help in reducing body fat. Others say it can increase fat storage.

I'm talking about pure coffee, no sugar or creamer.
What's your opinion on the matter?
:) and happy Monday everyone!

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
I dont see it increasing fat storage. As far as reducing body fat it has caffeine and that can help reduce body fat but i dont see using it as a fat burner either. Id say its probably neutral. It doesnt have much as far as nutritional value either. Ive never had trouble getting my body fat down while still drinking coffee as long as im not getting a white chocolate mocha every day lol

MMAguy

MMAguy

Awards
This is what one site says, copied and pasted.

"Caffeine contributes to overeating and slows metabolism in a number of different ways. In this article, I will focus on caffeine’s impact on our stress levels, which causes an increase in hunger, muscle breakdown, and a relocation of fat stores to the body’s center. More precisely, caffeine raises our cortisol levels, and cortisol is one of the body’s chief stress hormones. With regular caffeine use, our cortisol levels become chronically elevated, making weight loss and the maintenance of a lean physique difficult."

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
I could see that being right i guess although its never given me a whole lot of trouble

JG93

JG93

Awards
Yes and no for me.
When I drink a cup or two I feel like it speeds up my metabolism, hence why some people overeat..

When I drink to much I feel as my cortisol levels increase and I become stressed. My breathing becomes more annoying, (not that I can't breath) but I tend to count breaths for some reason.

Very annoying.
I think a cup in the morning and a cup pre workout is just fine.
Coffee is a diuretic keep that in mind.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

"Caffeine contributes to overeating and slows metabolism in a number of different ways. In this article, I will focus on caffeine’s impact on our stress levels, which causes an increase in hunger, muscle breakdown, and a relocation of fat stores to the body’s center. More precisely, caffeine raises our cortisol levels, and cortisol is one of the body’s chief stress hormones. With regular caffeine use, our cortisol levels become chronically elevated, making weight loss and the maintenance of a lean physique difficult."
Where did you find this?

Caffeine increases fat oxidation and I haven't seen anything indicating it would increase fat storage....

MMAguy

MMAguy

Awards
Where did you find this?

Caffeine increases fat oxidation and I haven't seen anything indicating it would increase fat storage....
Type in "coffee visceral fat" on Google. First website states it, and several others on the list. I think to much coffee will increase cortisol levels so that may be why it can trigger fat storage. One or two cups a day is fine though like someone else stated.

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
Type in "coffee visceral fat" on Google. First website states it, and several others on the list. I think to much coffee will increase cortisol levels so that may be why it can trigger fat storage. One or two cups a day is fine though like someone else stated.
From websites like "organic lifestyle magazine" and give-up coffee. com.

Not exactly a valid data point

KetoSpartan

Awards
Actual scientific results of it cause more fat storage?

Cause I drink a **** load of coffee and still loose weight just fine (lost over 100lbs).

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Have read where too much caffeine in the case of over indulging in coffee can lead to adrenal exhaustion due to the increased cortisol from too much and too continuous caffeine. Makes a person more tired after the caffeine wears off. Small amounts improve brain function, too much decreases it.

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
As is true with much in life: more isn't better: there is a sweet spot

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

ryox82

Awards
  • Established
I don't know about this. I can say once I removed any additives to the coffee (usually half and half/milk + fake sugar), I dropped a few pounds rather fast. I guess those liquid calories can add up at 2 or 3 cups every day. I haven't noticed any change in appetite really.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
This is a tricky one, and thought others may be curious as well so here it goes.

After 'googling' for a bit I've found out its 50/50.
Some say coffee can help in reducing body fat. Others say it can increase fat storage.

I'm talking about pure coffee, no sugar or creamer.
What's your opinion on the matter?
:) and happy Monday everyone!
Your diet will be the tipping point on on fatloss. Coffee or no coffee.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!

Weird cus coffee kills my appetite for a few hours

Zoomie33240

Zoomie33240

Awards
  • Established
I would have to say that I think that caffeine is an awesome resource while trying to lose weight/cutting. Caffeine supplementation is always a staple for me, especially when I am cutting, as it speeds up my metabolism while I am on lower calories and supplies much needed energy for when your body is adjusting to lower calorie intake.

As long as your diet/training are in check, caffeine can be a very useful tool. I'm not exactly sure how you could create a definitive scientific study proving otherwise when there is TONS of scientific data and real-world data proving that, if anything, caffeine aids in fat loss (with proper nutrition).