High water retention ONLY around the belly area...

bashar

bashar

Awards
  • Established
I have high water retention around the belly area ONLY. My body fat is around 11-12%. Legs, arms, upper chest are all lean and i workout very hard 5 days a week. ideas, suggestions ?!

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Time to look at what foods you may be allergic to. Dairy, artificial sweeteners, processed sugar and gluten to name a few. Test by completely eliminating each in turn and keep record of your waist measurement (morning just after BM) for a least a month. For me it is dairy. If I eat ice cream or yogurt I'll see an inch added to my wast by the next morning. Also, add in a good probiotic to your daily.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
^ this. Certain foods really cause me to look bloated and fluffy in my lower abdominal area. It's also a trouble spot for stubborn body fat. If you're 11-12% it's very possible that you're holding your last bit of fat in that region too - that's the last place I lose fat as well.

I would assess your diet and see if there are any foods like dairy or artificial sweeteners that you can remove and see if the water retention goes away. You could also add in some HIIT too. Sprints always tighten up my midsection

kdubson14

Awards
  • Established
And cortisol, the undisputed king of water retention.