Trying to Get Cut

SpartaNutrition

SpartaNutrition

Board Sponsor
Awards
I'd highly recommend looking into ketosis/kerogenic diet but that's pretty extreme and tough to manage if you can't meal prep hardcore.

Carb cycling is very efficient and the biggest pro: you don't forgo carbs completely. Depending on how much self-control you have, I'd recommend one of the two diets.

I've personally always been the type of guy that can gain 5lbs from eating a burger, so I like to stay lean just because of my genetic disposition to gain weight fairly easily. That being said, fat burners are like my 8am coffee.

However, I'd highly recommend running Spartan Lean for your regime. It's 7-keto-DHEA and 11oxo, 2 fairly mild PH's, but when combined it produces incredibly synergy. It'll help you shred fat, increase strength, become more vascular - defined too - and it reduces cortisol levels as an added benefit.

You can take it with your ECA stack but it shouldn't be necessary if your diet is spot on. You can go beyond preserving muscle mass, you can refine it while shredding down.

M

Monk3y303

Awards
Eca stack not necessarily needed atsuch high body fat should easily be able to loose weight. I weighted 185lbs 18-20% body fat around 5 month ago currently sat at 160lbs 10% body fat mainly through diet as im injured so didnt do much cardio just lower ur calories 5-700 under maintenance each day and lift weights 4x per week fpcusing on strength training 4-8 rep range try upper lower split mostly compound movements. And if u want just throw 15 mins carido in at end of sessions but its not really needed to begin with. u can save. Cardio for when ur weight losss stalls.. Use the ( iifym calorie calculator) to work out maintenance. And get an app called my net dairy or fitness pal weight foodand track calories and weight will start dropping aim for 2lbs per week

X

xanderjd

Awards
I'm in the same situation and trying to figure it all out myself.

I'm gonna try the carb cycling while watching my macros and total calorie intake. Having to calculate all this crap really takes the fun out working out for me personally.

My take on ECA stacks are if you don't have actual ephedrine, those stacks are useless. Fat burners as well, you might as well be taking sugar-free pez.

Good luck!

HardB0iled

HardB0iled

Awards
  • Established
I'm in the same situation and trying to figure it all out myself.

I'm gonna try the carb cycling while watching my macros and total calorie intake. Having to calculate all this crap really takes the fun out working out for me personally.

My take on ECA stacks are if you don't have actual ephedrine, those stacks are useless. Fat burners as well, you might as well be taking sugar-free pez.

Good luck!
How do you gave an ECA stack without ephedrine?

X

xanderjd

Awards
How do you gave an ECA stack without ephedrine?
You can't. But just because it's called an ECA stack, doesn't mean some people are actually using ephedra, I wasn't at first.

Plus you want ephedrine hcl vs. ephedra.

At the same time, I don't use it so what I say can be taken with a grain of salt.

HardB0iled

HardB0iled

Awards
  • Established
You can't. But just because it's called an ECA stack, doesn't mean some people are actually using ephedra, I wasn't at first.

Plus you want ephedrine hcl vs. ephedra.

At the same time, I don't use it so what I say can be taken with a grain of salt.
Ephedrine Sulfate or HCL work. I use both. Combined with coffee, a caloric deficit, and some work at the gym, this is the cheapest effective way to burn fat imo.

M

Monk3y303

Awards
No need to use it at such a high body fat.. No need to carb cycle either just a simple calories in vs calories out diet are usually easier to maintain keeping.protein high

X

xanderjd

Awards
No need to use it at such a high body fat.. No need to carb cycle either just a simple calories in vs calories out diet are usually easier to maintain keeping.protein high

So at a higher bodyfat, there is no need to count macros or all that hoopla, just keep ur calories low and protein high?

Bigdumogre

Bigdumogre

Banned
Awards
  • Established
So at a higher bodyfat, there is no need to count macros or all that hoopla, just keep ur calories low and protein high?
Macros are still important
Still aim for 75g of fat
Keep protein high
Fill rest with whatever carbs,fat or protein

HardB0iled

HardB0iled

Awards
  • Established
I agree that at 25 - 35% bf, you shouldn't need EC stacks or carb cycling to lose weight. If your still in your 20s and sitting at that, you probably don't have **** figured out.

Eat less move more. You should still have a good sense of where your macros should be but this isn't rocket science.

M

Monk3y303

Awards
Obviously still count macros but I wouldnt be to strict on them keep protein stable and calories stable when u work out how many u need and defict erc.. Wont matter too.much if ur fats vary or carbs from.day to day aslong as ur in a calorie defict..

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Obviously still count macros but I wouldnt be to strict on them keep protein stable and calories stable when u work out how many u need and defict erc.. Wont matter too.much if ur fats vary or carbs from.day to day aslong as ur in a calorie defict..
This. There's no need to dial in macros at this stage in your progress. As long as you are in a calorie deficit you'll be fine. Once you diet down a bit and get leaner, then I'd begin to address macros. Just be sure you're eating enough protein and eating in a deficit

X

xanderjd

Awards
im putting down 3-4 protein shakes a day in between meals along with a few fruits.

I gotta work on the portion size still.

I would like to add a meal or two, but it's almost impossible.

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
You need 3 things: nutrition, exercise and supplementation. The main (but very simplified) idea is that with nutrition you'll create an energy defecit, with exercise (resistance training in particular) you'll promote fat loss and maintenance of LBM, and with supplementation you'll well... Supplement the other two (by reducing hunger, increasing gym performance, or maybe even promoting fat loss).

For the energy deficit, you're right a desk job and sitting on the couch can take it's toll. You can try to be more active. Running a half marathon every day isn't healthy or necessary, but little things like maybe bicycling to work or the gym can help. That's for the output. Then you have the input: food. For the most part, the answer is simple: eat less calories. Gradually reduce and control your calories until you are losing weight. If you haven't tracked your macros, just doing this is a great starting point. Also food choices are something to look at. I find it helps me to keep it simple: I have pasta, rice, chicken, cereal, coffee, yogurt and maybe some chocolate. That's it. You can get fancy with risotto, different seasonings, vegetable pairings, etc. I just shy away from any of the complex pre-frozen foods and such.

For the gym, simply go hard. Just remember that hard doesn't mean unenjoyable. Focus on total volume and long term development of your weightlifting.

For supplementation, ID recommend you stick with the basics. My general recommendation is creatine, multivitamins, fish oil (take as far away from lifting as you can), ephedrine-caffeine and BAIBA. These should be inexpensive, safe and helpful. If you want you can branch out into preworkouts and such.

jaces

jaces

Awards
just start testing out what works for you... does your body function beter on low carb or low fat?? High or Low intensity cardio.. just start by being consistent and dont try to do it all in 1 week... get a calander,choose a diet and training program, mark a date for your goal and stick to its .. if it works than you know what you have to do, if it doesnt tgen start a new one.. simpel,easy and effective

X

xanderjd

Awards
i use bronkaid , 200mg caffeine and 81mg aspine once upon waking. as i said im thinking of adding another dosage in the late noon
Is 25mg of ephedrine a good dose?

I honestly don't know because I don't use a ECA. I never put much stock into them or fat burners, but it wouldn't hurt me to invest in something solid with some research and from other propels experiences.

jaces

jaces

Awards
in my opinion ECA is better than clen and those OTC fat burners are just bunk

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
diet > cardio. I think 20min of cardio every day is excessive. I just do prower/sled pushes 3x a week(10-15mins) and got into the single digits that way. Only did I get into the low single digits (6/5%) is when I started counting and dialing in macros, namely going from 150f/150c/180p to 80f/170c/180p (but that's unique to me)

HardB0iled

HardB0iled

Awards
  • Established
diet > cardio. I think 20min of cardio every day is excessive. I just do prower/sled pushes 3x a week(10-15mins) and got into the single digits that way. Only did I get into the low single digits (6/5%) is when I started counting and dialing in macros, namely going from 150f/150c/180p to 80f/170c/180p (but that's unique to me)
Keep in mind he is at "25-35%". I don't think 20 minutes of cardio every day is excessive.

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
Keep in mind he is at "25-35%". I don't think 20 minutes of cardio every day is excessive.
why do cardio when changes in diet will help? that 20minutes could be spent doing something else. IMO cardio should be a last resort to losing weight and cutting cals should come first. Cals > cardio > specific personalized macros

HardB0iled

HardB0iled

Awards
  • Established
why do cardio when changes in diet will help? that 20minutes could be spent doing something else. IMO cardio should be a last resort to losing weight and cutting cals should come first. Cals > cardio > specific personalized macros
I never said he shouldn't cut calories, just that someone who is 25-35% bf can stand to do 20 minutes of cardio a day

X

xanderjd

Awards
I eat in a military-style cafeteria where I can't weigh my portions. I don't eat anything fried or even sautéed anymore, just baked or grilled...the veggies are usually boiled tho

jaces

jaces

Awards
I eat in a military-style cafeteria where I can't weigh my portions. I don't eat anything fried or even sautéed anymore, just baked or grilled...the veggies are usually boiled tho
......?

X

xanderjd

Awards
A broscience estimate here of course, but probably in the 20s somewhere. I'm 26% at 6 foot, 252lbs.

And a pretty similar body type.

Again, just an estimated guess. A caliper would get you close and they are pretty cheap. You could also tape, or use a bodyfat calculator to give you a ballpark estimate.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I'd say somewhere in the 25-30% range. I wouldn't be concerned with BF% at your current state, just focus on consistency with diet and training

X

xanderjd

Awards
I'd say somewhere in the 25-30% range. I wouldn't be concerned with BF% at your current state, just focus on consistency with diet and training
Should an ECA stack be added to supplementation as well?

jaces

jaces

Awards
According to this bodybuilding.com body fat caliper I'm at 17%. It asked me to measure 4 different areas of the body including the bicep, abdomen, tricep and back(below shoulder blade). Add up the sum of all 4 measurements and use the provided chart to calculate the percentage. I barely had any fat to pinch on my bicep or triceps and all the fat was mostly in my stomach area. Still don't believe I'm at 17% but hey who knows since it is all in my mid section
you used the right landmarks to measure ?

jaces

jaces

Awards
What do u mean
you dont just pinch anypart on the stomach or so.. there is a specific place were you need to otherwise the readig is wrong and you should only pinch fat not muscle

jaces

jaces

Awards
and at the back near the inferior part of the medial border of the scapula

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
even caliper tests can be off, especially only a 4point one. A 7-point caliper bf test can be off by up to +-4%

X

xanderjd

Awards
I'm measuring out at around 18 and 19 percent. So I just rounded up to 20 and I added an extra 100 to my deficit.

I will see how that works and adjust accordingly.

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
Can I use the same caliper and measure at an additional 3 areas?
it's almost impossible to get sub-scalpular solo, but yes you could

X

xanderjd

Awards
Have you read about intermittent fasting? It's pretty interesting stuff. One guy went from 22% to 15 using it.

R

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
^ I love IF. It's definitely not for everyone, but if you do well with it it's the easiest ( at least for me) way to cut. When you start I'd advise kind of slowly easing in to it. For example, do 12 hour fasts for a few days, then increase your fasting window gradually, until you are doing 16 hour fasts makes the adjustment much easier.

MMAguy

MMAguy

Awards
Fasting is how I lose weight. I'll drink nothing but water and consume 3 protein shakes a day for a week. I lose a lot in those 7 days while still getting 150g of protein a day