My calorie and macro breakdown

xanderjd

Awards
Really...really...really trying to understand this macro stuff and this is what I've calculated for myself

Total calories needed: 3250
Protein: 250g
Fats: 125g
Carbs: 560g

Im 6 foot and 260. Don't know my bodyfat %, but it's above 20 for sure.

Am I close with these numbers?
Also, seems like a lot of carbs if I'm trying to cut down on bf

Thanks in advance

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
Figure out your body fat % use that to find your lean mass, and do the calculations using your lean mass, not your body weight

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That seems like a lot of cals to cut on, even for someone at your size. Carbs do not matter. Overall calories have a much bigger impact on losing fat than the amount of carbs you eat. I would keep carbs as high on possibe for as long as you can. Do you have a link to the calculator you used?

xanderjd

Awards
So find my lean body mass and try that...got it

xanderjd

Awards
You're saying to eat more carbs, but lower my caloric intake?

Always here to keep the carbs low when trying to lose weight

Aaron.Cole

Aaron.Cole

Awards
You're saying to eat more carbs, but lower my caloric intake?

Always here to keep the carbs low when trying to lose weight
Carbs are your energy source. If your carbs are too low, your body is going to use another resource for energy. And you want the protein and aminos for your muscles.

Just look for better carb sources, like rice or sweet potatoes. You can get plenty of low calorie carbs in. Oats are good too.

xanderjd

Awards
So up the carbs, keep the protein the same, and reduce the fats?

But lower my overall caloric intake.
That sound about right?

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So up the carbs, keep the protein the same, and reduce the fats?

But lower my overall caloric intake.
That sound about right?
If the amount of calories you posted in your OP is the amount you need to maintain weight, then yes, simply reduce your calories. However, calculators are just a guess. There are too many variable to take into consideration. The best way to find maintenance calorie intake is by going off a calculator, and see if you have weight gain or loss for a few weeks. If you just want to assume 3250 is your maintenance, create a deficit and see what happens.

xanderjd

Awards
If the amount of calories you posted in your OP is the amount you need to maintain weight, then yes, simply reduce your calories. However, calculators are just a guess. There are too many variable to take into consideration. The best way to find maintenance calorie intake is by going off a calculator, and see if you have weight gain or loss for a few weeks. If you just want to assume 3250 is your maintenance, create a deficit and see what happens.

That is my plan for now sir.

Bigdumogre

Bigdumogre

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Carbs are not bad
Some people just do better with lower carbs

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
thats 4k+ kcals... what is your activity levels like? 4k is a bit high for a cut

xanderjd

Awards
thats 4k+ kcals... what is your activity levels like? 4k is a bit high for a cut
I thought so too. I used that iifym one and its around 2700 now. So the goal is to take in around 2100-2200.

250g Protein
75g fat
150g carbs

xanderjd

Awards
I do HIIT cardio in the morning and lift in the afternoon. 6 days a week.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I thought so too. I used that iifym one and its around 2700 now. So the goal is to take in around 2100-2200.

250g Protein
75g fat
150g carbs
that looks much better

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Yes, between 30-45 minutes each session.
That's a lot of cardio to be doing if you're just starting your cut. I always aim to do the minimum amount of cardio when starting a cut, then it allows you to add more in if your progress stalls. Adding more cardio in when you're doing such a large amount already makes it difficult. How has your progress been?

xanderjd

Awards
That's a lot of cardio to be doing if you're just starting your cut. I always aim to do the minimum amount of cardio when starting a cut, then it allows you to add more in if your progress stalls. Adding more cardio in when you're doing such a large amount already makes it difficult. How has your progress been?
I just started so I don't have any progress to measure. I have plenty of variations to switch up in case I stall or plateau.

jaces

jaces

Awards
my opinion exactly... if you need to do more than 30min of cardio a day than something is not right e.g. diet or intensity or even just the activity you do outside the gym

xanderjd

Awards
The diet is looking pretty good, I just thought the extra hard work couldn't hurt.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
The diet is looking pretty good, I just thought the extra hard work couldn't hurt.
It isn't so much that the extra hard work is bad, its just going to make it difficult to add to if your progress stalls. You should always aim to keep your calories as high as possible and cardio as low as possible when starting cut. This way, when your progress stalls or you hit a plateau, you have variables to adjust. If you're going all out from day 1, it becomes difficult to add in more cardio.

I also fear that you are overworking your body. You should aim to work WITH your body during a cut, responding to how you feel while eating in a calorie deficit and not overworking your body. This will cause you to burn out and it will stall progress. Breaking plateaus becomes very difficult when you're already going 110% in all areas

xanderjd

Awards
Something to think about. I will adjust and see how it goes.

xanderjd

Awards
I am eating less, I still think my portion sizes are too big.

Any guidelines I should follow?
Also, if my daily intake is 2,750 and I am at say 1800, is that too low? Is there a range I should aim for regarding my deficit?

xanderjd

Awards
I can't actually weight my serving sizes because I eat in a military-style cafeteria with buffet style serving.

xanderjd

Awards
So don't worry about portion size as long as I'm under 500?

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
So don't worry about portion size as long as I'm under 500?
Food total over the day >>> per meal/plate

So, yes,
But watching portion sizes leads to lower overall consumption generally

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If your maintenance is 2700, I would shoot for 2000-2200 a day and yes I would still still try and limit portion sizes. It will make staying under that goal easier to manage

xanderjd

Awards
Getting close to a gallon of water a day but not quite there yet.

I should also try to eat something every 3-4 hours right? After breakfast, I usually take in a protein shake and an orange or apple.

Bigdumogre

Bigdumogre

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Getting close to a gallon of water a day but not quite there yet.

I should also try to eat something every 3-4 hours right? After breakfast, I usually take in a protein shake and an orange or apple.
If you like too eat that much then sure but you do not have to eat 5-8x a day. Some people just eat 1-4 and it does the same thing

xanderjd

Awards
If you like too eat that much then sure but you do not have to eat 5-8x a day. Some people just eat 1-4 and it does the same thing
Oh okay..good to know as well. Just make sure they are evenly spaced right?

Bigdumogre

Bigdumogre

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Oh okay..good to know as well. Just make sure they are evenly spaced right?
Timing does not matter as much as meeting your daily intake
Like stated if you want to eat all calories 2,000 in one meal go ahead - it's a personal prefrence

xanderjd

Awards
I'm using the myfitnesspal app and think I'm on the right track so far.

The goal is 1-1.5 lbs a week. Not too excessive I don't think. I was actually considering 2lbs a week, but I'm not quite sure if that's too much or not at this point.

Just figured I'd take the "slow and steady" approach.

xanderjd

Awards
Also, is intermittent fasting something I should look into, or is it too early?

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Also, is intermittent fasting something I should look into, or is it too early?
Too early IMO.

And of no additional benefit, unless you happen to like eating on that schedule.

xanderjd

Awards
My BMI puts me at 169lbs. My lean mass weight is 197.

I would be in a unicef commerical at 169.

xanderjd

Awards
As far a supps go, I take

Orange triad multivitamin

Omega-3 softgel

2 carnivor shakes a day

1 super greens drink

My meal breakdown is generally like this

5 boiled eggs whites
1 cup of oatmeal
1/2 a banana
1 Apple.

9am
Carnivor shake with skim milk

Noon
Grilled chicken breast
Cucumbers
Salad

Dinner varies because I have to eat off of a scheduled menu, but I try to keep it clean and simple.

My carbs and fats are low, but there's nothing I can do about it. A couple of ounces of white rice is the best I can do at times.

xanderjd

Awards
Buring around 600 calories on the elliptical each morning. I know it's off but I'm not sure by how much

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Buring around 600 calories on the elliptical each morning. I know it's off but I'm not sure by how much
How has your fat loss been going with your current diet and training?

xanderjd

Awards
How has your fat loss been going with your current diet and training?

I think it's water weight, but 2lbs a week is about the average. 7lbs lost so far. No change in my body that I can see.

I am noticing that I'm hungrier than usual. Not starving, but definitely hungry more often.

Socalmk6gti

Socalmk6gti

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
New diet, new training regimen. My clients usually complain of appetite issues about 2-3 weeks in when their metabolism starts shifting from the new plans. Stay the course and try to recalculate at least once a month. Get the same person to pinch your body fat, it sounds like you're on the right track. Just be consistent so you know what to change when you make the changes. If your diet is inconsistent then you won't know if you need to add/reduce caloric intake.

xanderjd

Awards
I am waaay under my protein intake by over 100g!

I'm averaging around 140, but I need at least another 100.

My protein has 25g per serving, so adding a couple extra scoops should solve it.

I usually down about 5 boiled eggs whites in the morning and two chicken breast fillets for lunch. Dinner is usually a chicken, beef, or lamb.

I'm under maintenance, but just have to up that protein

god_king

god_king

Awards
any follow up to this im starting my Cut now from 240lbs and 6ft. so looking at around the same goal and calories

xanderjd

Awards
I started at around 260 and am now around 245.

Diet still needs work, but my calorie intake is pretty good.

Cardio in the morning is solid and my lifting has been where I excelled. My partner has really cleaned up my form and worked with me on weak areas.

The rep range was way different than I'm used to and I'm shaping up pretty nicely

mrgoomba

Awards
just to chime in on what I do (everyone does things different and responds differently). I like to cut on lower carbs, just because fat tends to keep me more satisfied than a high carb diet does. I also believe fat plays a super important role in regulating your hormones as well as joints (my bad knees).

Regardless if I am maintaining ,cutting, or bulking - I do 1.2g of protein per pound of bodyweight, .7g fat, and then fill in the rest with carbs. For me, this is 200 or so carbs on a cut, and 350 or so on a bulk. To each their own, i'v just found this to be the best for MY body.