10000+ calorie cheat day?

hernmari1

Awards
I have bin seeing a bunch of youtube videos of people eating 10000+ calories of junk food in one day and was just wondering how much fat is gained by doin this?3500 calories is a pound of fat right? Would all the extra turn to fat? How would this work if i was dieting 6 days aweek and had a massive cheat day once a week?

rreal_natty

rreal_natty

Awards
You mean as in 10000 calories massive? You might not get fat but you wouldn't lose weight either. Not unless you had a 1000+caloric deficit.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
YouTube isn't really a place to go to for advice. Especially fitness advice.

mattierocks

mattierocks

Awards
  • Established
This is just me, but weekly cheat days seem counterproductive. I did a program with a weekly cheat day where I could eat anything I wanted within an IF window once a week and that diet didn't really work. It even involved fasting the following day.

It just seems to me (no expert) that if you ate at a deficit for 6 days, then went nuts on the the seventh and made up for the whole deficit from the rest of the week it would be hard to make progress.

If you ate 10000 calories 2 or 3 times a year it would probably be fine and therapeutic, but not once a week. Just my perspective as someone perpetually looking to lose a few pounds!

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Most of the 10,000 calorie challenges on Youtube are not done by people trying to lose weight. If your goal is fat loss, eating an excess amount of crap one day a week will not be outweighed by restricting the rest of the week.

For me, dieting and weight loss is all about balance. I incorporate a cheat MEAL once every two to three weeks. I agree with mattierocks that a weekly cheat day , or even cheat meal is counter productive and can develop a bad habit and relationship with food. I would never recommend doing an all out cheat day where you eat garbage for a full day. But if you want to go out and have a few slices of pizza with your friends every few weeks it won't ruin your progress. Just make sure you are eating in a deficit and staying consistent with your calorie intake and workouts.

Definitely wouldn't recommend an all out cheat day every week though, you will not see the results you want on a diet like that.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Myself, mkretz, and GNO have done plenty of 20k+ days over the last few months... You dont typically actually gain much, if any, true fat... sure, your weight usually will spike a ton initially but over teh next few days it comes down to the baseline... maybe slightly more (0.5-1lb at most usually).

I really enjy having a "free day" now and again. I know mkrtez has one every saturday and I'm certain he's over 10k each one. I typically have a much higher day on my saturdays as well, but they can range anywhere from double my cutting cals to far more.

While they may slow things down for a few days, I actually find that in the long term they're beneficial as they do two major things - keep hormone levels optimal for continued fat loss(leptin/ghrelin/etc) as well as provide a much needed mental break from the monotony and tediousness of a diet.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Most of the 10,000 calorie challenges on Youtube are not done by people trying to lose weight. If your goal is fat loss, eating an excess amount of crap one day a week will not be outweighed by restricting the rest of the week.

For me, dieting and weight loss is all about balance. I incorporate a cheat MEAL once every two to three weeks. I agree with mattierocks that a weekly cheat day , or even cheat meal is counter productive and can develop a bad habit and relationship with food. I would never recommend doing an all out cheat day where you eat garbage for a full day. But if you want to go out and have a few slices of pizza with your friends every few weeks it won't ruin your progress. Just make sure you are eating in a deficit and staying consistent with your calorie intake and workouts.

Definitely wouldn't recommend an all out cheat day every week though, you will not see the results you want on a diet like that.
if you can't have a cheat meal (just a single meal...) once a week, you're doing something wrong...

paul56778

paul56778

Awards
  • Established
Agree with booneman previously last year i was having a 7-9k cheat day, but then going back to Keto and a 1000Kcal deficit for the rest of the week and noticed that i maintained or even slightly lost bodyfat, I have found in the past that a once every two week or fortnightly cheat day actually helped with fat loss and kept it from plateauing.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
You could do this, but you need to know yourself first.

Can you contain it to a day?
Can you maintain a deficit the rest of the week, to allow mitigation of overall fat gain?

Why do you want this?
It's not for your physique or performance, and don't try to justify it as a refeed, lol.

Imo these are fun days, and could be done for fun or maybe some bragging rights.

Keep your physique goals in mind, know that this will not move you forward (but it may make the journey more fun)

mattierocks

mattierocks

Awards
  • Established
I'm still going to argue that if you're trying to see your abs for the first time in your life, 10000+ cheat days are probably not a healthy thing to add to your regimen. It really depends hugely on your personality (as Driven2lift said), where you are, where you've come from and where you want to go with your physique.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
if you can't have a cheat meal (just a single meal...) once a week, you're doing something wrong...
In my experience I prefer to cheat less often. I find it easier to stay on my diet that way, which is totally a personal preference. I wasn't saying that I can't have a cheat meal once a week. I just feel that I've had better results by adhering to a stricter diet.

After reading your post and hearing your input though, I will probably begin to experiment with adding in some break days. I think it would definitely help to keep things different. And I'll admit, I can get very carried away with macros and calories, so I often feel sh*tty about overdoing it on a cheat day.

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
im about to put this theory to the test when my slinmax comes in ... going for a 5000 calorie meal at outback steak house haha

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
When watching or hearing about these YouTuber's high calorie cheat meal days, you need to keep in mind that it is a single day. If they have ate at a deficit for the days leading up to it, they are essentially going to balance out or be slightly over maintenance cals for the whole week.

I think some people look at fat gain/loss or just look at the scale too frequently. Instead of thinking I need to hit X cals per day, I would look at it on a larger scale and say I need X amount of cals for maintenance a week. Then depending on your goal, bulk, cut or recomp, strive to hit that weekly number.

For example, I am bulking and need 21,000 cals a week to gain weight, there is no difference from splitting my cals evenly through the week (3,000 per day) compared to eating 2,000 one day, 5,000 another 2,200 another and so on.

mattierocks

mattierocks

Awards
  • Established
When watching or hearing about these YouTuber's high calorie cheat meal days, you need to keep in mind that it is a single day. If they have ate at a deficit for the days leading up to it, they are essentially going to balance out or be slightly over maintenance cals for the whole week.

I think some people look at fat gain/loss or just look at the scale too frequently. Instead of thinking I need to hit X cals per day, I would look at it on a larger scale and say I need X amount of cals for maintenance a week. Then depending on your goal, bulk, cut or recomp, strive to hit that weekly number.

For example, I am bulking and need 21,000 cals a week to gain weight, there is no difference from splitting my cals evenly through the week (3,000 per day) compared to eating 2,000 one day, 5,000 another 2,200 another and so on.
Also those youtubers are competitive eaters or the like, rather than bodybuilders or just people trying to get in shape.

I try to stay around 2000 calories a day based on my weight and body fat. So 14000ish per week. It would be absurd for me to have a 10000 calorie day when that would consume the bulk of what I would aim at for a week.

mattierocks

mattierocks

Awards
  • Established
I would just hate for someone in the high 20% BF and above category, who is making a true effort to lose weight and get to a healthy BF level, come in here and think it is ok to have 10000+ calorie meals and think it's not going to derail them, because it probably is!

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
im about to put this theory to the test when my slinmax comes in ... going for a 5000 calorie meal at outback steak house haha
This "theory" doesn't work at higher body fat. Your hormones don't need the boost and you'll just get fat.

Also, SlinMax won't help all the fat you'd eat at outback.

Very poor idea, for you specifically.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I would just hate for someone in the high 20% BF and above category, who is making a true effort to lose weight and get to a healthy BF level, come in here and think it is ok to have 10000+ calorie meals and think it's not going to derail them, because it probably is!
This is spot on. You can't do this at above maybe 12-15% and not have poor results. Your hormones won't be ranked so no benefit there and your insulin sensitivity will suck. Fatter people will just get even fatter doing this.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd puke after 7000 calories probably. A cheat meal or cheat day is one thing and gluttony is another. Gluttony disgusts me. It shouldn't be a competition to see how much food you can stuff down your gullet. It's not impressive, it's just disgusting. It also sends the wrong message to youngsters. Teaching these kids watching these youtube channels that eating as much as you can at one time is only going to contribute to childhood and possibly adult obesity.

hernmari1

Awards
You could do this, but you need to know yourself first.

Can you contain it to a day?
Can you maintain a deficit the rest of the week, to allow mitigation of overall fat gain?

Why do you want this?
It's not for your physique or performance, and don't try to justify it as a refeed, lol.

Imo these are fun days, and could be done for fun or maybe some bragging rights.

Keep your physique goals in mind, know that this will not move you forward (but it may make the journey more fun)
Well im allready lean but hell who wouldnt wana be just a bit leaner as a progress type thing?and acually i do have bad eating habits when it comes to carb. I love junk food but am strict 5 days a week. I stick to keto diets because of my love for carb. I have tried an if it fits your macros diet but just have a medium amount of carbs i get more and more cravings. And since i love carbs and even more junk food if i would be possible to eat what ever i wanted for one day a week i be happy with that. By no means am i trying to eat 10000+ calories every saturday but it be nice to just eat as much as i wanted without having to worry about it

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well im allready lean but hell who wouldnt wana be just a bit leaner as a progress type thing?and acually i do have bad eating habits when it comes to carb. I love junk food but am strict 5 days a week. I stick to keto diets because of my love for carb. I have tried an if it fits your macros diet but just have a medium amount of carbs i get more and more cravings. And since i love carbs and even more junk food if i would be possible to eat what ever i wanted for one day a week i be happy with that. By no means am i trying to eat 10000+ calories every Saturday but it be nice to just eat as much as i wanted without having to worry about it
Just eat till you are full then. You can include carbs and be reasonable about it. You can eat more than normal one day a week without having to go overboard. There is an in between. Some people gotta overdue everything. If they diet they eat way too little, if they are "bulking" they eat way too much. I don't believe in this bulking and cutting bs myself. If I was to speak using bodybuilding terms I'd say I'm on a constant "recomp".

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Also those youtubers are competitive eaters or the like, rather than bodybuilders or just people trying to get in shape.

I try to stay around 2000 calories a day based on my weight and body fat. So 14000ish per week. It would be absurd for me to have a 10000 calorie day when that would consume the bulk of what I would aim at for a week.
There are plenty YouTubers that bodybuild, do physique or are getting in shape. That has nothing to do with a big cheat day.

mattierocks

mattierocks

Awards
  • Established
There are plenty YouTubers that bodybuild, do physique or are getting in shape. That has nothing to do with a big cheat day.
True enough, but a lot of the videos I've seen linked are not those people. I'm thinking of the ones in that thread about eating 10000+ meals.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This "theory" doesn't work at higher body fat. Your hormones don't need the boost and you'll just get fat.

Also, SlinMax won't help all the fat you'd eat at outback.

Very poor idea, for you specifically.
It was a bad and unnecessary plug. I apologize, seriously.

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
There is a guy on YouTube who has a 20000 calorie cheat day. His name is Juan Morel and he looks like this. If you don't look like this and run as much gear as he does I wouldn't consider a cheat meal like this
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1455853240.491668.jpg

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There is a guy on YouTube who has a 20000 calorie cheat day. His name is Juan Morel and he looks like this. If you don't look like this and run as much gear as he does I wouldn't consider a cheat meal like this View attachment 131488
I have pictures blocked. I don't care what some douche bag on YouTube looks like or what he eats. I think everyone should ignore all these youtube people, then maybe they would go away and children would stop looking up to them, thinking they are worth giving attention to.

paul56778

paul56778

Awards
  • Established
This is spot on. You can't do this at above maybe 12-15% and not have poor results. Your hormones won't be ranked so no benefit there and your insulin sensitivity will suck. Fatter people will just get even fatter doing this.
I only have cheat days once I have reached or am very close to my fat loss goals and am at single digits or low double, to prevent it from having as much of as a negative effect, also i run Keto 6 days per week so i use it as a carb up day to replenish glycogen, I also usually train on the same day rather than just sit on my ass all day due to the mass volume of food and make the most of the carbs by performing a heavy leg session the day after followed by a heavy chest workout the day after legs.

GNO

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

If it is a once in a lifetime thing maybe not but if you do it even once in a while yes you are right. I have done several cheats close to 20k, my highest was over 20k. My approach was to get a deficit going into it but very hard to balance out, you inevitably end up at a surplus.

From my experience your body just cant process all those calories so you wont gain a bunch of fat from one day and oh yeah I was taking damage control supps lol.

I am not arguing it is right or wrong but anyone can handle one day if you wanted. You may not feel great and think it is a waste so there is a personal element to it. To further put it into context, my daily cal intake is close to 2k per day so it is actually a big delta for me...

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
If it is a once in a lifetime thing maybe not but if you do it even once in a while yes you are right. I have done several cheats close to 20k, my highest was over 20k. My approach was to get a deficit going into it but very hard to balance out, you inevitably end up at a surplus.

From my experience your body just cant process all those calories so you wont gain a bunch of fat from one day and oh yeah I was taking damage control supps lol.

I am not arguing it is right or wrong but anyone can handle one day if you wanted. You may not feel great and think it is a waste so there is a personal element to it. To further put it into context, my daily cal intake is close to 2k per day so it is actually a big delta for me...
That's insane dude! 20k?! I don't even think I could get 20k down haha, that's impressive. I agree though, I don't think its optimal to be doing it as a scheduled part of your diet, but having an big cheat day on rare occasion probably won't have a tremendous impact on your goals. Moderation is the key

paul56778

paul56778

Awards
  • Established
My max is usually 7-10K calories, i cannot push past this.

GNO

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's insane dude! 20k?! I don't even think I could get 20k down haha, that's impressive. I agree though, I don't think its optimal to be doing it as a scheduled part of your diet, but having an big cheat day on rare occasion probably won't have a tremendous impact on your goals. Moderation is the key
Half a dozen donuts from a legit independent shop (not Dunkin lol) is an easy 3-4k. Too easy :)

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Half a dozen donuts from a legit independent shop (not Dunkin lol) is an easy 3-4k. Too easy :)
Fair enough hahaha. I guess there are some delicious calorie dense foods that could get you up to 20k pretty quick!

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I only have cheat days once I have reached or am very close to my fat loss goals and am at single digits or low double, to prevent it from having as much of as a negative effect, also i run Keto 6 days per week so i use it as a carb up day to replenish glycogen, I also usually train on the same day rather than just sit on my ass all day due to the mass volume of food and make the most of the carbs by performing a heavy leg session the day after followed by a heavy chest workout the day after legs.
this is almost exactly how i do mine as well ha... 6 days keto/lower cal... one giant refeed/mental break day. Legs and back wokouts usually surround this day as well

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Fair enough hahaha. I guess there are some delicious calorie dense foods that could get you up to 20k pretty quick!
I made 5500kcal nachos a couple weeks ago ha.

stuffed crust pizza... so muhc good stuff with insane cals

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Strategically timed and properly macro structured "re-feeds" are effective at restoring glycogen and leptin after sustained caloric and carbohydrate deficits.

Cheat days most describe are not the same thing.

GNO

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Strategically timed and properly macro structured "re-feeds" are effective at restoring glycogen and leptin after sustained caloric and carbohydrate deficits.

You are right. I am not trying to gussy up a cheat day as a properly macro structured "re-feed". However, I use all the carbs to my advantage in my workouts the day of and proceeding week.

My point is that if you want to do it, it can be managed on ad-hoc basis within a proper exercise & diet routine.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

My understanding is leptin take a bit longer than just one meal or even day of eating to restore or balance out.

My guess is that the psychological component with these refeeds is what is actually at play, moreso than any assumed physiological one

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
My understanding is leptin take a bit longer than just one meal or even day of eating to restore or balance out.

My guess is that the psychological component with these refeeds is what is actually at play, moreso than any assumed physiological one
This

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

agreed for the most part.

There are studies that support its effects in "short term" over feeding (one example):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/11126336/

It only quantifies days and not total carbohydrate over consumption or calories but carbohydrates are more beneficial that fat.

Edit: my point in general was that proper re-feeding can produce more than just psychological satiety benefits if macro nutrition is taken into consideration.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In my experience I prefer to cheat less often. I find it easier to stay on my diet that way, which is totally a personal preference. I wasn't saying that I can't have a cheat meal once a week. I just feel that I've had better results by adhering to a stricter diet.

After reading your post and hearing your input though, I will probably begin to experiment with adding in some break days. I think it would definitely help to keep things different. And I'll admit, I can get very carried away with macros and calories, so I often feel sh*tty about overdoing it on a cheat day.
Pick foods with no macro count ;-) and just enjoy

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I have bin seeing a bunch of youtube videos of people eating 10000+ calories of junk food in one day and was just wondering how much fat is gained by doin this?3500 calories is a pound of fat right? Would all the extra turn to fat? How would this work if i was dieting 6 days aweek and had a massive cheat day once a week?
Not sure if anyone else already said this, but this type of cheat day is only good when you're at lower BF percentages. It's also only really effective if you stick to carbs and protein, don't mix in fat into that type of cheat day/meal/etc. If it's carbs and protein, well the protein will help blunt the insane insulin spike, and most of the carbs should get shuttled into glycogen (if you've been dieting and in a deficit) .

I do this type of cheat often, and I always start it post workout. But I'm also at 13% BF. I would never do this at 18%+.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I would never do this at over 10%
Might be individual. I still have visible abs the next day at 12-13%. I'm not quite hitting 10K cals though, more like 5K cals in carbs (~900g of carbs) post workout during my big carb ups. But with all my other cals that day, can come kinda close to 10K.

GNO

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would never do this at over 10%
why? Do you think you would not be able to metabolize the cals above 10%bf and pack on fat?

I have done multiple 10k+ cheats and a few 20K+ cheats around 12-15%bf and gained little to no weight/fat. I am not trying to convince you to do it, just making the point that it can be manageable.