Looking for advice. 43 yrs old, 5'9", 255 lbs, lift 5 days a week, goal 210 lbs

bamainhtown

bamainhtown

Awards
Looking for advice. 43 yrs old, 5'9", 255 lbs, lift 5 days a week, goal 210 lbs

I am a 43 yr old male, 5'9", 255lbs, lift 5 days a week, been lifting all my life. Lately, the energy is all but gone, it is hard to get out of bed and get to the gym. I'd like to get myself down to about 210lbs. I am starting a new test booster supplement called Modern Man. I also use a BCAA powder during workouts. I've tried some different thermogenic but they usually just make me feel a little gross.
I am looking for some solid direction on diet, supplements, etc...
My work is a combination of computer/driving/entertaining clients at lunch so not the easiest lifestyle for fat loss.

Here is one of my typical workout weeks:

Monday:
Bench - warm up, 12 - 225, 10 - 275, 6 - 315
Incline - 3 sets
DB Flyes - 3 sets
Cable crossovers - 3 sets
Dips - 3 sets

Tuesday:
Deadlifts - warm up, 15 - 225, 10 - 275, 10 - 315
Cable rows - 3 sets
Cable pulldowns - 3 sets
B.O. rows - 3 sets

Wednesday:
Straight curl - 3 sets
Skull crushers - 3 sets
Hammers - 3 sets
Cable pushdowns - 3 sets
Cable curls - 3 sets
Tricep kickbacks - 3 sets

Thursday:
Military Press - 3 Sets
B.O. laterals - 3 sets
Arnolds - 3 sets
Side laterals - 3 sets
Shrugs - 3 sets

Friday:
Squats - 3 sets
Leg extensions - 3 sets
Leg curls - 3 sets
Standing calf - 3 sets
Seated calf - 3 sets

Daily cardio at home - Mostly just treadmill walking (5 miles)

I have lifted since Jr High and am fairly strong, pretty solid but way too much torso fat.
I'd like to cut down to 210 lbs by Summer (if possible) while retaining mass and strength.

Looking for solid advice on how to accomplish this through: Diet, Supplements and workouts.

matt8483

matt8483

Awards
  • Established
I am a 43 yr old male, 5'9", 255lbs, lift 5 days a week, been lifting all my life. Lately, the energy is all but gone, it is hard to get out of bed and get to the gym. I'd like to get myself down to about 210lbs. I am starting a new test booster supplement called Modern Man. I also use a BCAA powder during workouts. I've tried some different thermogenic but they usually just make me feel a little gross.
My work is a combination of computer/driving/entertaining clients at lunch so not the easiest lifestyle for fat loss.

Here is one of my typical workout weeks:

Monday:
Bench - warm up, 12 - 225, 10 - 275, 6 - 315
Incline - 3 sets
DB Flyes - 3 sets
Cable crossovers - 3 sets
Dips - 3 sets

Tuesday:
Deadlifts - warm up, 15 - 225, 10 - 275, 10 - 315
Cable rows - 3 sets
Cable pulldowns - 3 sets
B.O. rows - 3 sets

Wednesday:
Straight curl - 3 sets
Skull crushers - 3 sets
Hammers - 3 sets
Cable pushdowns - 3 sets
Cable curls - 3 sets
Tricep kickbacks - 3 sets

Thursday:
Military Press - 3 Sets
B.O. laterals - 3 sets
Arnolds - 3 sets
Side laterals - 3 sets
Shrugs - 3 sets

Friday:
Squats - 3 sets
Leg extensions - 3 sets
Leg curls - 3 sets
Standing calf - 3 sets
Seated calf - 3 sets

Daily cardio at home - Mostly just treadmill walking (5 miles)

I have lifted since Jr High and am fairly strong, pretty solid but way too much torso fat.
I'd like to cut down to 210 lbs by Summer (if possible) while retaining mass and strength.

Looking for solid advice on how to accomplish this through: Diet, Supplements and workouts.
Your training looks fine. Have you considered TRT? It sounds to me like you'd benefit from it.

You can look for a good pre/workout supplement, that will definitely help a boost.

As far as your job being an issue with eating the right foods, that all has to do with preparation. Plan your meals the night before.

bamainhtown

bamainhtown

Awards
I have considered TRT. I'd be interested in people's thoughts on Test boosters that are available without the doctor.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established

Welcome to AM man! Your workout routine looks solid. Its good to see that you're able to get in some daily cardio, because for many people (including myself) cardio can be hard to fit in. The two biggest factors outside of training, which you seem to have nailed down, are rest and diet.

--From what you posted, it sounds like you aren't resting enough and getting enough sleep. Proper sleep can help you recover quicker and provide you with more energy. I would focus on trying to make rest and sleep a bigger priority in order to reach your goals.

--The other factor is diet. The best way to guarantee fat loss is by dialing in your diet. Counting macros/calories can be tough, but if you commit to it and focus on setting calorie intake goals and sticking to your diet, you'll see results faster than any supplement can provide. Are you currently counting calories or estimating your caloric intake? Diet will be the foundation to any fat loss goal.

--As far as supplements, there are some great products out there that can help with fat loss. You mentioned that some thermogenics made you feel gross, so I'm curious to know what products you've tried. I've experienced similar feelings with products containing DMAA, which is now a banned substance. Depending on how tolerant to stimulants you are, there are a few products I'd recommend. First, Oxymax XT would be a great option. The product contains 25mg of forskolin per serving, which has been studied to increase lean body mass while decreasing body fat. It also contains Eria Jarensis Extract, which is a newer ingredient to the market. Eria delivers a very clean energy and focus; and that I think would help you a lot with your lack of energy.

Other supplements to consider would be PES Alphamine, Forskolin 95, or the EC stack. But I think for your current situation and goals, Oxymax XT would be a great fit.

DirtyWilly

DirtyWilly

Awards
  • Established
Was the same height/weight/strength in my mid 30's.

Got down to 200lbs recently, mostly playing racquet sports, but it was a long journey. I'd like to think my low-carb/keto lifestyle helped, but after so many years hard to say what was more effective. Low carbs or just low calories? Racquet sports helped shed the first 20lbs in months easy, after that it got hard. I eventually had to include intense cycling and running plus intermittent fasting to keep the weight shedding. I'm a firm believer that your body adapts quickly to change and you constantly have to raise the bar to keep things going. (Which also means you have to take breaks every now and again to reset that bar.)

If you're serious about losing weight, just remember there's a lot of mechanical advantage that comes with mass. Lose the mass and the strength goes too. I'm lucky to get 315 x 2 now, but it was worth it. As far as supplements, ECA is still a miracle if you can get your hands on it. Epicatechin seems to help me, but not sure if the effects are direct or secondary. BCAA's help, but timing seems to play a role. HMB was HUGE for muscle sparing while losing weight, wish I took more early on though your body gets used to it. I've experimented with forskolin, B.A.T./FAT burners, alpha lipolic acid (na-r-ALA), appetite suppressants, oils, and GH releasers. All didn't seem to hurt but hard to say if they helped.

Personally I wouldn't take anything at first, just try the usual increased cardio and diet changes. Save the supplements for when you're stuck, think of them like a temporary shot of nitrous, only to be used at the right time, temporarily. The body adjust too quick otherwise in my opinion. If you do take anything, only take half the dosage, try to get the most out of it before your body adapts. Tips and tricks are also very underrated. Not eating past 8PM is huge, not eating your first meal till after cardio is huge, builds on drive and reward, things like that.

mlaw0311

mlaw0311

Awards
My bottle of DTP V2 is coming tomorrow. I'm doing a log on it if you want to see how that effects me. Not only am I feeling the same as you, but my libido is also gone too.... And I'm 28. So yeah, definitely come on over and see how this stuff does for me.... I will be starting today. Best of luck and as someone else already said, it may be about time for TRT.

bamainhtown

bamainhtown

Awards
John,
Tried Hydroxycut Hardcore Elite, several others whose names elude me. 10 years ago those things helped me lose lbs fairly quickly.
Now that I am in my 40's I can't seems to lose lbs at all. I haven't been counting calories, but will start.
I think I need to go to a low(er) carb diet but don't want to cut them out totally unless I have too.
I work out of the house, so I frequently train at 5AM, get home and push the kids onto the bus and then take an hour nap.
Is that nap counter productive?

mlaw0311 - I will follow your results.

Thanks all!

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
John,
Tried Hydroxycut Hardcore Elite, several others whose names elude me. 10 years ago those things helped me lose lbs fairly quickly.
Now that I am in my 40's I can't seems to lose lbs at all. I haven't been counting calories, but will start.
I think I need to go to a low(er) carb diet but don't want to cut them out totally unless I have too.
I work out of the house, so I frequently train at 5AM, get home and push the kids onto the bus and then take an hour nap.
Lowering your carb intake will definitely help with your fat loss, but cutting carbs out completely isn't necessary. Some people like ketogenic diets (no carb high fat diets), but my performance in the gym always suffers severely when I am eating low/no carbs. You could read up on carb cycling, which may be beneficial to rev up your metabolism a bit and help keep the diet interesting.

I'm a 5am lifter too! I wish I could go home and nap, but I work in an office. The nap definitely isn't counterproductive. If anything, the extra rest is helping you recover better. I don't see any issues with a nap at all.

I would focus on your diet for now. Try to get as much rest and sleep as you can, and focus on dialing in a diet plan. Estimate your current calorie intake and see where you're at. Track for a few days and see what you come up with. From there you can start manipulating macronutrient ratios and decreasing overall calorie consumption to start moving the scale.

mlaw0311

mlaw0311

Awards
John,

mlaw0311 - I will follow your results.

Thanks all!
There is nothing wrong with that nap at all!! If I had the chance to eat train then sleep I would as well. But I eat, train, have a whole day, work, then sleep. If you wanna try to lower your carbs for a bit and up your good fats and increase your cardio, you may see some results. Don't worry way too much about calories, worry more about getting nutrient dense foods and staying away from empty calories. Best of luck and yeah come on over and track my results..... It looks like my bottle of DTP V2 is gonna show up around 4ish 5:00. I don't wanna mess up my sleeping patterns so I may start it tomorrow.... If I'm excited I may just take half dose for the rest of the day today.

Talk soon

curvasei

Awards
Bodybuilding.com
You'll find everything you need there.
Fantastic site.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You told us your routine,asked about supps, but forgot to tell us about the most important detail, your diet.

Do you track calories? Do you have macro goals? Or are you trying to eat intuitively? Etc

PHWSSJ

PHWSSJ

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
No need for TRT.
Do a body detox for about a week, following the detox take some adaptogens for a week.
This should normalize your body (considering you are eating clean).
Poisons and toxins in our environment today have a profound effect on health and energy levels.
Test boosters generaly are bogus.
What you realy have to focus on is lowering estrogen levels.
There are "anti estrogen" supplements out there that work.
Dont waste your money on fat-burners either.
There is absolutely nothing that will replace clean eating and a good exercise program.
Some fat loss supplements do work, but the people who benefit from them the most are those who have very low body fat % and are getting ready for some type of event (i dont think that applies to you).
To give you some motivation, try something new and beneficial like joining a muay thai or bjj program (you will burn fat, get in great shape, and have fun doing it).
In the gym, Lift hard and heavy to stimulate your body to produce test and GH.
Stay away from supplements with high amounts of stimuants and atrificial sweetenters/colors/flavors.

Eating clean is not rocket science.
No need to track calories and try to figure out macros and micros.
A healthy diet is not hard to figure out, what most people lack is the discipline.
Thats why I recommend joining a bjj or muay thai program (or some fun sport) because it will give you motivation which is necessary for discipline.
Martial Arts is generally structured in a way where you benefit more than just kicking or throwing a ball around, thats why I specified it.

This is general good advice for anybody to follow actually.
Hope this helps.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No need for TRT.
Do a body detox for about a week, following the detox take some adaptogens for a week.
This should normalize your body (considering you are eating clean).
Poisons and toxins in our environment today have a profound effect on health and energy levels.
Do you even liver?

bamainhtown

bamainhtown

Awards
Hey guys.
Diet - honestly, I have been eating mostly gluten free since my wife appears to have a gluten intolerance.
Staying away from breads. Mostly chicken, steak, eggs, fruits, veggies.
Starting tomorrow I am planning to clamp down a bit more on my diet.

Sleep - Snoring, Mild sleep apnea.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Don't underestimate the effects on energy and mood as well a heart health. Speaking from experience. BTW testosterone (aka TRT) can exacerbate apnea and subsequent symptoms and heart health issues.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Hey guys.
Diet - honestly, I have been eating mostly gluten free since my wife appears to have a gluten intolerance.
Staying away from breads. Mostly chicken, steak, eggs, fruits, veggies.
Starting tomorrow I am planning to clamp down a bit more on my diet.

it's 80% diet to cut weight. that's just how it is. get the nutrition dialed in, eliminate sugar, etc.

GHopkins

GHopkins

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Walking 5 miles won't do much for fat lose without a calorie reduction. Investigate HIIT sprints and do these 3 times per week.
BCAA are great for muscle sparing during exercise. But they are also fat sparing as well. If you are going for a cut, take a break from the BCAAs.

xanderjd

Awards
I have considered TRT. I'd be interested in people's thoughts on Test boosters that are available without the doctor.
OTC test boosters are a waste in my opinion, especially when you can get TRT

bamainhtown

bamainhtown

Awards
Well been at it a few weeks. Lost some weight on the scale (6-7 lbs) but I "look" a lot better.
Clothes fit better/looser. I feel like I have lost a lot more than the scale indicates. Frustrating but staying positive.
Distended, swollen belly has gone down a lot. Seem to be loosing some off the love handles as well.
Haven't noticed much effect from the Test Booster.
I am taking in about 1800 calories a day (using a MyFitnessPal to track).
trying to eat every couple or few hours.
Working out 5 days a week.
Starting to throw in some circuits twice a week beyond the treadmill.
Still on the BCAAs to help recovery....I lift fairly hard.
Hopefully, the circuits will boost the weight loss.
Lots of high intensity stuff like sprints, burpees, box jumps, etc...
Slow and steady I guess without losing much muscle mass is the plan.
Any thoughts on my current approach and results (or lack there of)??
Jeff

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
it sounds to me like you are doing all the right things. Have you checked that test booster to make sure there are no potential side effects? I'm not sure supplementation is necessary at all.

It really is 80% in the kitchen. eliminate sugar, cut back on sodium, keep fats and carbs balanced. eating every couple hours like you are doing as multiple benefits. you're doing the right things.

if you want further ideas for the HIIT training, you might consider rowing, spin bikes, and potentially double unders. also look up tabata workouts. the rowing and spin bikes might be lower impact on your body than box jumps and sprints. just food for thought.