Back in the gym after a long break

LockNLoad

Awards
Hey guys-

I used to spend way too much time on these boards several years ago; over the last five years not nearly enough. I'm 26 years old and have had a huge decline in health and overall satisfaction with my lifestyle over the last couple of years.

Just a quick overview, I started lifting in 2004 and got really serious in 2007. I competed in powerlifting and played a lot of sports from 2008-2010 and eventually stopped lifting weights in 2012. I was 5'8" and around 215 lbs, bench was around 350, squat was 385 and deadlift I had never maxed at - admittedly I was an upper body guy and didn't take lower lifts seriously.

Around 2012, I took a sedentary job. Me being an active person I was very bored at my job and it resulted in me doing a lot of eating out of boredom at work. Fast forward and I'm now 255 lbs at 5'8" and struggle to tie my shoes. It's embarrassing to me, but I know you guys are here to help and not judge and I thank you for that.

At age 26, I have been diagnosed with a severe case of OSA (Obstructive Sleep Apnea), hypertension, tachycardia, high cholesterol and was recently told that I have a hernia in my stomach from too much lifting at my job. This has resulted in me slacking at my job, huge stress on my marriage and a complete decline of self-esteem.

I still have my weight set and a garage to put them in. I was wanting to start lifting weights and maybe playing basketball as a form of cardio, since IMO, basketball is the funnest way to stay in shape. I'm pretty weak at the moment and will start out lifting light weight. I was just wondering if anyone on here had any experience with a life turn around like the one I'm attempting. I know my sleep apnea will decline as my weight lowers, blood pressure will probably do the same and my hernia I'm hoping will shrink as my body grows stronger as a unit.

Here is the workout plan I have decided to start with. Critique all you want, I'd like as many opinions as possible...

Monday:
3X5 Squat
3X5 Bench Press
3X5 Barbell Rows
3X10 CGBP

Wednesday:
3X5 Deadlift
3X5 OH Press
3X5 Lat Pulldowns
3X10 Barbell Curls

Friday:
3X5 Squat
3X5 Bench Press
3X5 Barbell Rows
3X10 CGBP

On the days that I do not lift, I was considering some sort of basketball, walking, etc.

Please give me any input you may have. I'm much too young to feel this damn old and I want to get back in the best shape I've ever been in.

Thank you!

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The workout above looks like a strength workout. is your man goal to get back in shape? If so i would recommend more variation and more reps per set as well as some HITT training. For example you could do the tradition Chest/Tricep, Back/Bicep, Leg/Shoulders if you're wanting to keep it just 3 days a week lifting. I'd recommend 3 to 6 exercises per body part you're trying from 3-4 sets of 6-12 reps would be a good start. hope this helps.

rreal_natty

rreal_natty

Awards
Unless you have at least a lifting belt i wouldn't do any deadlifts, considering your hernia.

JURISDOCTOR

Awards
I love the mind set, with your positive attitude you will definitely push pass this small trial in your life. ;) Look at Flex Wheeler, he hit rock bottom and rebounded. Check out his utube page. Hope this helps