Cardio or Strength-training !!?

ritampatra

Awards
Well, I have a situation here.....I have a injury in my right keen.Doc told not to run jump and all....

But I need to work on my belly fat...
So,if I only do Strength training ..will it work !?
I mean, I have heard that cario is the best to loose fat.... Which I cannot do !
If I do only push ups, core , pull ups ...den will it help me !!?

Mkgain1

Mkgain1

Awards
I think strength training is a more efficient way to lose fat honestly, given the idea that your training is intense (for what it can be considering your injury) and taking the muscle to failure. Yes you may burn more calories in an hour of cardio than an hour of weight training, but the afterburn effect experienced from intense training is much greater in duration than the afterburn effect of cardio. Also, if you add lean muscle that's just more metabolically active tissue on your body so you will constantly burn more calories through the day than you are right now

Mattabolic

Mattabolic

Awards
  • Established
Couldn't agree more with Mkgain1 resistance training done right will burn more fat than cardio believe it or not! More muscle you develop the more fat you will burn! If u wana add 2 days of cardio with it then u will really step ur game up but resistance training and a diet in check will burn way way way more

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Great thread! Subbed.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Just like Mk and Matt said, lifting will most definitely help you! Cardio gets all of the glory but look at runners that don't lift...they at best are skinny fat. Not usually athletic looking at all. Talk with your dr and see what strength training he wants you to stay away from. Depending on the injury there's also a possibility you could do some swimming for cardio as well!

Mattabolic

Mattabolic

Awards
  • Established
Yea use cable machines and dumb bells less wear and tear and doesn't beat up your joints and muscles. Get a goal in mind 4 week blocks or get a solid routine and just hammer away and get a solid diet and just keep track of your workouts and progress so u can keep progressing

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Proper diet will play the biggest factor as well. but resistance trying will burn fat. Bump up the ab training as well and maybe throw in a fat burner.

Mkgain1

Mkgain1

Awards
Proper diet will play the biggest factor as well. but resistance trying will burn fat. Bump up the ab training as well and maybe throw in a fat burner.
^ how did we all miss this? Of course make sure your diet is in check that's #1.

I look at cardio as an extra tool to help aid with leaning out after you're already on a regimented training schedule, I don't think it should ever be of more importance than weight training.

Mattabolic

Mattabolic

Awards
  • Established
Mkgain1 the second paragraph is so basic but so so true once u have things solid and add a few sessions of cardio then u can solidify things. Agreed diet is always number 1 without that in check the rest is pointless if ur trying to lose weight

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
You lose fat by being in a calorie deficit. You can create that deficit by decreasing cals or adding cardio or anything else that burns cals or a combination of all those efforts.

ritampatra

Awards
I think strength training is a more efficient way to lose fat honestly, given the idea that your training is intense (for what it can be considering your injury) and taking the muscle to failure. Yes you may burn more calories in an hour of cardio than an hour of weight training, but the afterburn effect experienced from intense training is much greater in duration than the afterburn effect of cardio. Also, if you add lean muscle that's just more metabolically active tissue on your body so you will constantly burn more calories through the day than you are right now
Well thats very interresting....kool !

Now, with my knee injury ...Im told not to flex it...that means ...if I do strenght training then I wont be able to work on my lower body.....
Will working on upper body and core will work !!?
I have read somewhere that in order to loose fat by strength training you need to hit evry muscles of the body......which I cant do !
So how effective it would be working on the lower and upper only !!?

ritampatra

Awards
Couldn't agree more with Mkgain1 resistance training done right will burn more fat than cardio believe it or not! More muscle you develop the more fat you will burn! If u wana add 2 days of cardio with it then u will really step ur game up but resistance training and a diet in check will burn way way way more
Please help me with the reply I have done to MKgain1 ....

Thank you....

ritampatra

Awards
Just like Mk and Matt said, lifting will most definitely help you! Cardio gets all of the glory but look at runners that don't lift...they at best are skinny fat. Not usually athletic looking at all. Talk with your dr and see what strength training he wants you to stay away from. Depending on the injury there's also a possibility you could do some swimming for cardio as well!
Doc said ....no sqating ,no running, no jumping, not even climbing stairs.....

That means no lower body exercise....

What do I do !?

Mkgain1

Mkgain1

Awards
Well thats very interresting....kool !

Now, with my knee injury ...Im told not to flex it...that means ...if I do strenght training then I wont be able to work on my lower body.....
Will working on upper body and core will work !!?
I have read somewhere that in order to loose fat by strength training you need to hit evry muscles of the body......which I cant do !
So how effective it would be working on the lower and upper only !!?
Yes it's most efficient if you're capable of training your entire body, but if you're limited and can't do that then what I would suggest personally is doing a push-pull day twice a week, doing back exercises and chest exercises. Then do 2 days a week where you train your arms and shoulders. Some gyms have a hand bike to offer for a form of cardio that doesn't involve your legs so you could use that if you have it available to you but I don't see that being very efficient imo..

ritampatra

Awards
Yes it's most efficient if you're capable of training your entire body, but if you're limited and can't do that then what I would suggest personally is doing a push-pull day twice a week, doing back exercises and chest exercises. Then do 2 days a week where you train your arms and shoulders. Some gyms have a hand bike to offer for a form of cardio that doesn't involve your legs so you could use that if you have it available to you but I don't see that being very efficient imo..
Sorry man cant understand what you have written ..... Can you pleas make a workout programme for me.....

Mkgain1

Mkgain1

Awards
Sorry man cant understand what you have written ..... Can you pleas make a workout programme for me.....
What do you not understand about that?

2 days a week train chest and back together, a "push-pull" day.

And 2 days a week train arms and shoulders.. Do you understand now?

In between those days you could do a "core" workout for your abs and obliques but I don't see it as necessary

ritampatra

Awards
What do you not understand about that?

2 days a week train chest and back together, a "push-pull" day.

And 2 days a week train arms and shoulders.. Do you understand now?

In between those days you could do a "core" workout for your abs and obliques but I don't see it as necessary
Ok man ! I will make a workout routine and show it to you...... Lemme know if I need to do any change..