Best way to lose bodyfat while on high doses of Prednisone

Buffspartan

Buffspartan

Awards
  • Established
So my kidney disease recently flared up and as a result I'm now on very high doses of prednisone. For those who are familiar with this medication, you probably understand that it is a corticosteroid, and causes massive amounts of weight gain, both from fat and water. Anyone here have any advice on minimizing the catabolic and weight gaining side effects? Usually when I'm on high doses I megadose DHEA, since prednisone lowers DHEA levels in the body, as well as taking some sort of fat burner. I have not been on high doses in quite a while or taken any fat burners for like 2 years, so I'm not really that familiar with what's on the market. Any suggestions? Supplements? Fat burners? Peptides? Oh, and because I have bad kidneys I cannot have creatine or yohimbe/yohimbine/rauwolscine.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Just curious, how much are you on and for how long? Don't forget to supplement with vitamin D as prednisone will also cause a vitD deficiency.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just curious, how much are you on and for how long? Don't forget to supplement with vitamin D as prednisone will also cause a vitD deficiency.
This. I took predisone post heart transplant and at very high doses. I would not advise using supplements unless you run it by your doctor.

Answer he following, what is the dose, how long will you be on that dose, have you taken predisone in the past?

I know when my doctors first told me about this drug I was like nope, not taking it due to weight gain, bloating, etc, However, I never took it prior and I did not get any of those side effects. You may not either. For me, my biggest issue was an increase in hunger, now that can cause weight gain if you're eating to satisfy that craving. Best advice I can give you for that is to know you calorie limit for your current goals, drink lots of water when you feel hungry, and smaller meals more frequently.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I've just come off 60mg myself, was on for two weeks then taper off for a week. Been real sluggish at night, real hard to push myself to the gym the past week.

Buffspartan

Buffspartan

Awards
  • Established
I'm currently on 48mg Medrol (equiv 60mg prednisone) and will be on that dose for at least several more days. My tapers are very very slow, as in probably 3-4 months. I've been on it for 20+ years, but not always at high doses. And over the past few years, I would usually take some sort of fat burner while on high doses to help minimize the fat gain. After I get to a certain point in the taper I generally drop the fat burner. I'm considering GW-501516, but am still a bit nervous about the cancer risk. I've taken it before, but I'm not sure if I want to take it again. Also I'm bloated as hell...much more than usual! Any ideas on things that might help with the water weight as well? Good diuretics other than prescription stuff?

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Hrm well I personally don't like diuretics because it messes with sexual performance. I just lower carbs, dramatically increase water intake (to where I'm walking to the bathroom almost twice an hour) and keep a watch on sodium levels. This will all reduce bloating and water retention.

Buffspartan

Buffspartan

Awards
  • Established
Hrm well I personally don't like diuretics because it messes with sexual performance. I just lower carbs, dramatically increase water intake (to where I'm walking to the bathroom almost twice an hour) and keep a watch on sodium levels. This will all reduce bloating and water retention.
Lol, you haven't been on prednisone have you? None of that works. My cortisol is currently 12 times the normal level for a human being

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Like I was saying a few posts above, I just finished 2 weeks of 60mg of prednisone, and tapered off for a 3rd week. I didn't see any big changes in body composition in that time.

I was training 4 days a week though and doing cardio on off days plus cardio after each workout, so that could've had something to do with it, I dunno. I definitely didn't lose muscle, get fat/bloated/watery though. But my hunger was intense. I kept all big eating to post-workout time in the evening (was carb backloading too), and when I had huge hunger pains, I just ate protein bars and water.