Highest body fat with viewable 6 pack abs

datsthat

datsthat

Awards
  • Established
I am not there yet. At best I can see outline of top 4 before I started bulk. I know it's different among all of us....What is the highest body fat while still able to maintain a viewable 6 pack abs? The reason why I ask is just to get an idea of how far away I may be. Thanks

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yea I'm not exactly sure what bf you need to be at to see abs. I know its in the low region haha but if you google body fat percentage there will be images of people at different levels of body fat.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That will be different for many people. As annoying as it is I know guys who have pretty visible abs, yet the aren't super lean in other areas, while for some they can be pretty shredded and just only beginning to see them.

In general I'd say at least 12% but usually around 10-12 (for what I'd consider really still being able to see them, not what I see a lot of people try to pass off as actually seeing them).

In the end though I wouldn't gravitate or focus on a number. Each person is different and my best suggestion is to just keep going until you get there yourself and then have a better understanding what it takes and where you need to be to get there. If you really can see the top 4 you may be getting close so keep at it!

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There are too many variables. Bolt has a good estimate of 10-12% but you also need to take into consideration where one holds the majority of their fat. In a perfect world, fat would be distributed evenly throughout our bodies, but some carry more fat in certain areas than others.

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
I agree there is just way to many variables, genetics, training, diet etc... But I will agree with 10-12% as a general rule

datsthat

datsthat

Awards
  • Established
Thank you all for your reply. That means I am probably around 15ish%

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
As annoying as it is I know guys who have pretty visible abs, yet the aren't super lean in other areas, while for some they can be pretty shredded and just only beginning to see them.
Ugh, I hate this too. I have buddies who are legitimately like 20% BF or higher, but you can still see a faint outline of abs on their stomach. They are the ones that you know if they got it together and dropped to like 10-12%, they'd look super shredded.

Whereas me on the other hand, I recently cracked sub-10% and they still didn't look that great without flexing.

While I'm on the topic, what are all your opinions on flexing vs non-flexing? Every time I see a really shredded set of abs in a picture or whatever, I always wonder if that's them relaxed or in flexed mode.

Is it possible to look as ripped as some guys do while being fully relaxed?

JeremyNG25

JeremyNG25

Awards
  • Established
I would say genetics is the most important thing when considering visible abs. Some people need to get to really low BF levels to see a full 6 pack. Others like myself have very narrow, long and compact abs which makes it even harder to see. Some have thick wide abs that spread the stomach region and pop. There's no way to get abs like that it's very individual to the person.

alexoc949

alexoc949

Awards
  • Established
They gotta be flexing, probably if they're hella ripped just takes less effort.