Weight Loss- What should I reasonably aim for?

kaleispimp

kaleispimp

Awards
Hello, First time posting on this forum. I am currently 230 and 14% BF. I have been lifting for six years, I am currently only 20. I decided to start tracking recently using a the calorie calculator provided by Mike Matthews. It involves using your BF % for a more accurate measurement of your TDEE and then multiplying by 80% to create a 1lb calorie deficit. I currently have a lot of free supps, and stacks I've collected. I am currently running Ostraine at 25 mg and GW10156 at 14 mg to enhance this cut. I want to get to 10% bf in a reasonable amount of time. My question is what should I aim for? 1lb a week? I am also at 2500 calories and doing cardio because I tend to put on mass easy even at lower calories or maintenance. Anyone got some good advice? Recommendations? Rough estimation as far as how long until I hit 12-10% bf? I know I have a lot of questions but I haven't really bounced off ideas with any other fitness enthusiasts.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
If you think you're honestly 14% bodyfat, then it shouldn't be too difficult to get down to 10%. If you're sitting at 230 - 14%, your lean body mass in 198 pounds. So, at 10% body fat, you'd weight somewhere around 215-17. So if your body fat estimation is correct in ideal circumstances, you could lose a pound a week and end up at your goal weight in 15-16 weeks. No obviously this is under PERFECT conditions, but I think it'd be wise to aim to lose about a pound a week, that's a great starting point. If you put in a solid 20 weeks I think you'd be right where you want.

2500 seems low to start in my opinion, but it really boils down to how much you're losing every week. What are your macros?

kaleispimp

kaleispimp

Awards
40% carbs 40% protein and 20% fat. I got the underwater weighing at my college and measured in at 14.4% very accurate measurement.

HIM

HIM

Awards
Just try researching the forums and noting the different methods people use for fat loss. Everyone is a little different so you'll have to find out what your body does and doesn't respond to. Either way its nice having a bag of tricks up your sleeve to keep you progressing toward your goals. Having said that I made steady progress for a while by intermittent fasting with an 8 hour eating window, which I still do, but once I added in an hour of fasted cardio first thing in the AM the fat really melted right off while maintaining my lean mass. So I guess my advice would be that, fasted cardio in the AM and a high protein intermittent fasting diet.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
40% carbs 40% protein and 20% fat. I got the underwater weighing at my college and measured in at 14.4% very accurate measurement.
Awesome, 40/40/20 is a good diet setup. I would recommend carb cycling for the best results. Shoot to eat 40p/40c/20f on training days, and lower your carbs on rest days and eat 200-500 less on your rest days. I have implemented carb cycling in many cutting phases and it never fails. I agree with HIM on the fasted cardio, however I would not add cardio until your progress starts to stall

Khazima

Khazima

Awards
How tall are you? 230 @ 14% is MASSIVE.

1-2lb per week is reasonable, at 2500 calories you should be losing that easily since your maintenance would be around 3500 as big as you are.

40/40/20 is somewhat flawed since if you're eating 2500 calories that's 250g protein, which is about right, even a little high for your BW, then if you go up to say 4000 calories you'll be eating 400g of protein? Completely unnecessary. A better guideline is 1g protein per LB of LBM (or BW for simplicity's sake), .4-.7g fat per lb of LBM or BW then the rest of your calories carbs. It makes a lot more sense this way as those are the requirements for healthy function of hormones etc.

So for you you'd always be sitting around 200-250g protein, 80-120g fat and the rest carbs. Unless you're doing low carb high fat which would be closer to 170g fat and no carbs, still 250g protein.

x2 on carb cycling, very effective. I like refeeding myself, 500-600 calorie deficit throughout the week then a refeed day of over maintenance close to 1000 calories of just carbs minimizing fat as much as possible allowing the next 3-4 days of workouts to be outstanding. That's more of a performance benefit than it is a fat loss benefit, although it still has fat loss benefits like bringing ghrelin back to good levels etc, the main reason being replenishing glycogen for performance.

kaleispimp

kaleispimp

Awards
Yeah right now 250g of protein, 250 of carb and 60g of fat I believe... I think I could lower the protein a bit and maybe the carbs. I hate how my weight is fluctuating because some days I go a little over on carbs and I can tell the next day. Weighed in at 229 then jumped up to 231. I am obviously going to take the average *Btw started at 235* so I have lost some weight in 3 weeks at about 2,500 calories or close to it. I'm gonna lower carbs on rest days and shoot for 2,000 calories. I am currently 6'2 1/2 (Sucks cause wish I was just 6'3). I can post pic's after I get out of class, I have some fat to lose but I am very strong. Stats currently for 1 PR is: 330 bench, 485 squat, 585 deadlift.

kaleispimp

kaleispimp

Awards
I honestly think carb cycling would help my cause, the program I'm on says low carb is good if you want to cut fast or dry out for something. I really want to keep strength up and lose fat gradually but would like to get there faster. How would you recommend cycling my carbs? 250 on training days and 150-200 on rest? I haven't experimented with going lower carb or carb cycling. Wonder how my body would react. My friend is cutting with me... He only eats 100g of carbs max a day.. He has lost 10 pounds in 3 weeks (Some of it is water) But is losing fat too and pants sizes are shrinking. I hold more muscle than him by a lot but still.... Makes me mad he's having a lot more success than I and continues to keep going down.

JG93

JG93

Awards
Try it.
I eat very little carbs if possible. 80-120 a day at max, 50-60 on a working day.
They are worthless, after you get done withdrawing lol

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I honestly think carb cycling would help my cause, the program I'm on says low carb is good if you want to cut fast or dry out for something. I really want to keep strength up and lose fat gradually but would like to get there faster. How would you recommend cycling my carbs? 250 on training days and 150-200 on rest? I haven't experimented with going lower carb or carb cycling. Wonder how my body would react. My friend is cutting with me... He only eats 100g of carbs max a day.. He has lost 10 pounds in 3 weeks (Some of it is water) But is losing fat too and pants sizes are shrinking. I hold more muscle than him by a lot but still.... Makes me mad he's having a lot more success than I and continues to keep going down.
Carb cycling will definitely help you reach your goals. Depending on how many days a week you train, your 250/150 protocol may work. It depends on your current intake too, don't cut out a ton of carbs quickly. The scale might drop quick for the first few weeks, but drastic changes in your diet often lead to plateaus that are tough to get past.

Me personally, I have my cycling set up into 3 different days. High carb days are 250g carbs per day, "low" carb days are 100-125g of carbs, and no carb days are <60g of carbs per days, which is all from vegetables.

I set up my week with 2 high carb days, 3 low carb days, and 2 no carb days (which are my rest days). This setup works well for me year round, it allows me to still enjoy meals and the variation allows me to look forward to my higher carb days/meals.

Carb cycling is a great tool for fat loss, the strictly low carb approach will work, but it will be difficult to get consistently good workouts in. Running a low carb diet (<100g per day) will leave you feeling flat and soft if you're training intensely. Cycling will give you variation and allow you to replenish glycogen while burning fat. Definitely give it a try. Best of luck.