Fasted Cycling

r3zy

Awards
I'm wanting to shed a few extra pounds of fat. My current bf is 15%, that's using the caliper method. Hoping to try and get down to about 10/11% before my holiday in October if possible. I lift weights on a night after work and do a little condition after them but I was wondering if cycling on a morning would help more. I love cycling and try to go out on my bike on my non-lift days. I would be cycling between 7-10 miles at a steady pace, but I was wondering if doing it on a empty stomach would be bad? I've tried eating before I cycle and it just makes me feel sick half way through my cycle.

Cheers Rez.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
There's a constant debate on whether fasted cardio okay or not. At the end of the day, if you're eating a sufficient amount of calories, specifically protein, you'll be able to maintain your muscle mass and shed some serious fat. Cardio on an empty stomach works great for fat loss, many people tend to stray away from it in fear of muscle loss.

I would suggest adding in 3 days per week to start and see how it works for you. I am a huge fan and advocate of fasted cardio, so I say go for it! It will definitely help you lost those last few pounds. Also, I would suggest reading into yohimbine and picking some up. Its an inexpensive supplement that is excellent in increasing fat loss if you're going to be doing fasted cardio.

r3zy

Awards
Cheers. Yeah I think I'll cycle every other day at first and then increase or decrease as and when I feel I should. I'll have a look into yohimbine cheers

Gains2NV

Awards
I think if your goal is to just lose some weight do it whenever fasted or not. If your trying to build or hold as much mass as possible I try to not do fasted cardio. I don't think there is really any hard proof either way if its good or bad for muscles. I say at least take a bcaa before or during.

DirtyWilly

DirtyWilly

Awards
  • Established
Amazing results with fasted morning cycling here. Been losing about .5% BF a week but I also overdo it, a lot.

Don't overlook magnesium. Consider ZMA as a cheap easy source. Make sure your cycling has at least a touch of HIIT in it. Try to include one tough hill or sprint to the finish.

Like these guys say, the debate is still open, we could go back and forth on this all day... I notice a difference. Would I get the same fat-loss if I did the cycling at night after dinner? Doesn't appear so, but there's nothing that proves that yet.

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
I actually prefer fasted conditioning when in a fat loss phase. Especially since I do my conditioning work with Target-A2 (alpha yohimbine) and it requires you to be in a fasted state to work on inhibiting your alpha-2 receptors anyway.

The whole "omg it's gonna eat my muscles" thing is way overblown.

Dulce

Dulce

Awards
i think the entire "to fast or not to fast" argument with cardio is similar to the arguments surrounding intermitted fasting/ large meals vs numerous small meals, etc. There is literature that supports and also scrutinizes it depending on the source. Overall its about just being clean and consistent. Unless you are going for Mr. Olympia or are at a professional level, these details don't matter as much as your daily diet and routine as a whole.