Diet advice to getting lean and keeping size

Willdawg

Awards
My size is great right now, but my definition is horrible. I have an extremely hard time showing any abs, only time I've had any was when I was under 200lbs(way to skinny). My goal is to have more definition everywhere. I'm sure some of you have had the same problem and I'm open to any and all diet/workout advice. Thank you, my infos below.

28 years old
6'3
235lbs
Arms 17.5
Chest 45.5
Waist 38
Thighs 26
Calves 16.5

In the gym 5 days a week lifting, do cardio 80% of the time usually 20-40mins low intensity.

Training consistently for 6 years. Cycled 3 times, but last one was in 2012.

Diet consists of 200g protein, 200g carbs, 100g or less fat....I'll change the macros to try to lose or gain, but that's the general idea. And Sometimes I'll switch over to KETO for a few months just to change things up.

Willdawg

Awards
Anything specific that you suggest? What does your diet look like?

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
For me it's always high protein and fat and carbs around my workouts and toward the beginning of the day. Find out your macros and get the protein from quality sources and stick to a plan for awhile. google some plans if you dont have any set ideas.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You will lose size, you can minimize how much you lose by dieting slowly. Also, I would not be doing all that cardio if trying to slowly cut. You want to add it in when needed. I take it 80% of the time means 4 days a week? You lift 5 days and 80% of 5 is 4. That is why I'm thinking you're doing a lot of cardio.

MANdrew

MANdrew

Awards
  • Established
Something I've found to be extremely important is the timing of your carbs throughout the day. If you put yourself at "maintenance" calories per day calculated by your TDEE, try this- 1.3-1.5g protein per pound of body weight, 20-25% of total daily calories coming from fats, and the rest coming from carbs. for breakfast, eat about 15% of your carbs for the day. For your preworkout meal, about 1-2 hours before your workout, eat about 35% of your carbs. During your workout, 25% of your carbs in an intra-workout shake. I like to add 50g protein as well. And about an hour after your workout, have about 20% of your carbs from a low GI carb source. The remaining 5% of your carbs should be spread out throughout your day with veggies... This approach has helped me with a really great recomp.

jaces

jaces

Awards
look into the anabolic diet.. but do the recarb days only every second week

jaces

jaces

Awards
Something I've found to be extremely important is the timing of your carbs throughout the day. If you put yourself at "maintenance" calories per day calculated by your TDEE, try this- 1.3-1.5g protein per pound of body weight, 20-25% of total daily calories coming from fats, and the rest coming from carbs. for breakfast, eat about 15% of your carbs for the day. For your preworkout meal, about 1-2 hours before your workout, eat about 35% of your carbs. During your workout, 25% of your carbs in an intra-workout shake. I like to add 50g protein as well. And about an hour after your workout, have about 20% of your carbs from a low GI carb source. The remaining 5% of your carbs should be spread out throughout your day with veggies... This approach has helped me with a really great recomp.
GI doesnt matter if you eat a diet that consists of protein at every meal rather look into GL load and insulin rating

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
A low deficit (-500) will ensure minimal muscle mass is lost while still losing a reasonable amount of fat.week

jaces

jaces

Awards
This has shown me the most dramatic effects, tried this last summer.
yeah me as well but i dont like to recarb every week so ill do it every second or 3rd week depending on my energy

ufusannon

Awards
just keep doing exercise dude ;)