NEED TO CUT FAT!

castIron09

castIron09

Awards
Hey guys looking to see if anybody has any new ideas. I'm 5"11 230lbs around 18% bf and I cannot seem to shred this extra fat. Iv been strict dieting for over a year now and have stayed patient until now. My daily calorie intake is about 2000. My macros are where they need to be and still not helping.
Iv then tried keto dieting didn't lose a lb. I did a advocate cleanse didn't really feel any different. I lift weights 5 days a week with somewhat high intensity training. Iv recently wondered if I have a thyroid imbalance or something. I'm a pretty muscular guy just need that extra fat gone. Looking to get down to 10-12%bf. Tired of
Working my ass off to not lose a thing.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Your macros are not where they need to be if you're not losing weight. Stop saying things like that. You're trying to blame something but the problem IS you diet.

Post up a full days worth of meals and workouts.

castIron09

castIron09

Awards
7:00
Pre workout meal early morning
4 egg whites
Protein shake

10:00am
Mid morning snack
3tbsp almonds

12:30pm
Lunch
8oz chicken breast
1 cup brown rice
1 cup broccoli

4:00pm
Afternoon snack
Quest bar

7:30-8:00pm
Supper
6oz salmon
1 cup brown rice
1 cup broccoli

9:30pm
Evening
Protein shake

Calories-1864
Protein-223g
Carbs-133g
Fat-69g
All my meals are pre made so this is what I eat every day.

Either 8:00am or 8:00pm
Workout
10 min elliptical warm up
And I work whatever I'm doing that day (back,arms,legs,chest) multiple sets of whatever I'm doing whatever gets the muscle full. Higher reps with around 60 sec rest. For about an hour or more. I'm being pretty specific I know but my point is I'm doing the work I'm burning the calories that's definitely not the issue. But this is one day for me everyday is the same.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Can you edit those meals and your workout with time of the day? That'll help

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
230 lbs with 1800 intake sounds off.

Most common is improper tracking

How long has that diet yielded no weight loss?

Or possibly a thyroid issue last resort to check

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sounds like low leptin levels. I don't like HIT on low calories. You need to actually raise your calories, and go low and slow on the cardio. Walking for 30-45 minutes post workout. It sounds like your body is just shutting down in terms of fat loss.

castIron09

castIron09

Awards
230 lbs with 1800 intake sounds off.

Most common is improper tracking

How long has that diet yielded no weight loss?

Or possibly a thyroid issue last resort to check
Iv been on and off of this same diet for a little over a year now. So quite awhile. Tried a keto style diet as well but didn't give it much of a chance. Iv considered getting some blood work done to check thyroid as well but hoping I could resolve what I'm doing wrong before it came to that. And what do you mean by "improper tracking"

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
You need to commit to a diet
Stick to it

Improper tracking is counting your intake wrong
A lot of people do it, even when trying to lose weight

castIron09

castIron09

Awards
Sounds like low leptin levels. I don't like HIT on low calories. You need to actually raise your calories, and go low and slow on the cardio. Walking for 30-45 minutes post workout. It sounds like your body is just shutting down in terms of fat loss.
Before I started this diet I got advice from a trainer at my gym. He told me to set my calorie deficit at around 2300 calories and just do my regular weight training not necessarily high intensity. And if I wasn't dropping lbs at 2300 we would slowly lower my calorie intake.i wasn't losing so I dropped cals.I never considered or Heard Of raising my calorie intake. Great advice! I may have to do that.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Before I started this diet I got advice from a trainer at my gym. He told me to set my calorie deficit at around 2300 calories and just do my regular weight training not necessarily high intensity. And if I wasn't dropping lbs at 2300 we would slowly lower my calorie intake.i wasn't losing so I dropped cals.I never considered or Heard Of raising my calorie intake. Great advice! I may have to do that.
At 230, your maintenance, barring any hormonal issue is around 3200 calories. Dropping one thousand calories at the start will make you lose weight, but you will also hit a wall much earlier. You should be aiming for 1lb per week, 2lbs max weight loss.

castIron09

castIron09

Awards
At 230, your maintenance, barring any hormonal issue is around 3200 calories. Dropping one thousand calories at the start will make you lose weight, but you will also hit a wall much earlier. You should be aiming for 1lb per week, 2lbs max weight loss.
Makes sense. I'll def try to boost up the calories a little and see if it does the trick.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Makes sense. I'll def try to boost up the calories a little and see if it does the trick.
You might need to raise calories to maintenance, deload and take it easy for a week. Let everything reset, then start again. You will gain some weight during that week, but its mainly water/glycogen.

y4fitness

y4fitness

Awards
Do you have a day off your diet where you "re-feed"?
There is a theory that when we diet our fat-burning enzymes reduce by 50% per day so by day 7, there's virtually no fat-burning enzymes.

castIron09

castIron09

Awards
Yea usually sat or sun I have a high carb day. Pretty much eat whatever on that day and back to it in Monday

travwj

travwj

Awards
  • Established
You could look in to reverse dieting, as your body has adapted to running on low calories. Slowly add calories at about 100 calories a week until you are back at your maintenance and then start another slow cut. And don't keep dropping calories if you are still losing weight at 3000 calories there is no need to drop more calories until you plateau with weight loss

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
The overall structure of your diet looks great, but clearly its not working so I agree with the guys above. You should try to "reset" and take a full diet break for at least a week (if not two). Eat reasonable, but don't count, don't eat 100% "bro" etc. Just enjoy things and let the calories add up a bit. Then come back to a more structured approach at a higher calorie intake and slowly ramp up unitl you gain too much. I would add 50-100kcals each week for a few weeks and see how that goes.

castIron09

castIron09

Awards
Sounds good! Thanks for the tips guys. I'll give that a try

ericaf1

ericaf1

Awards
Admin is right on.... I would add that you slowly and I repeat slowly add back in some calories back to maintenance level....When I say slowly I mean like 50 calories increase a week maybe more but go slow.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
I should start training again. :lol:

y4fitness

y4fitness

Awards
Seriously?! Are you not training, just dieting? U sure you're not a chick fr the 80s/90s?!!

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
I agree with everyone here that said you should probably do a diet break. 2,000 calories at your weight seems awfully low. That's about what I'm currently eating on my cut and I'm 40 pounds lighter than you.

Eat at maintenance for 10-14 days, maintain your workout schedule, and then start to diet again. But I'd probably start the diet at 2,500 calories this time and adjust from there. Maybe all you need is that reset period.

If that doesn't work, you may wanna get your hormones checked out.

bcruder

Awards
Although some references deny it, I did encounter central hypo-thyroidism from a low-carb ketogenic diet. Both TSH and T4 were below the bottom reference and morning body temperature varied from 94-96 unless I was running a fever. I suspect that this is common but undetected because many physicians request only TSH or T4.

This is often called "shutdown" but slower metabolism is better for longevity if that is one of your competing goals.

Even normal levels of fasting plasma glucose and insulin can inhibit fat burning and are complicit in skinny-fat. Both can be tested and lower is better for both longevity and fat loss.

While exercise as described will lower both glucose and insulin there is some level that impacts both muscle growth and anaerobic endurance.

With a significant longevity concern, I reconciled myself to both slow fat loss and muscle growth and limited anaerobic endurance. That does not appear to be your primary goal.

Perhaps other posters could comment on the minimal levels of T4, glucose and insulin to target for your goals. So much of diet and exercise is just to get one into that proper range.

David147

Awards
You need to drink about a gallon of water each day. This keeps your kidneys clean. If your kidneys are doing what they are suspose to do then the liver will not have to do it. The liver is what stores fat. Exercise will help you lose it faster.