Trying to drop bodyfat and build muscle

TolaSkamp

Awards
Hello everyone … I am fairly new to the gym … I have been going to the gym for approximately 6 months …. My goal is to drop my bodyfat drastically and build muscle … I am 6’1”, 36 years, 225 pounds and according to the electronic device I have, my bodyfat is approximately 23% … I am not very active apart from when I go to the gym … My areas that I want to lose the fat the most is my chest and stomach (I know I can’t spot reduce fat, I am just trying to give as much info as possible) … I am losing weight due to a calorie deficit I have been doing (started 3 months ago at 245 pounds), I am trying to eat only 1,530 calories a day (this number was given to me by myfitnesspal app) … I would really like to get to 15% - 17% by July (not sure if it is possible, but would be great) ... I would appreciate any and all advice on how to go about accomplishing my goals ... Thanks everyone

LiftWithDonuts

LiftWithDonuts

Awards
  • Established
How does your diet look?

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
As long as you figure out your calories needs - eat around maintainence and sway your body's fat loss/muscle gain via stimulus. Do cardio and big compound lifts - eat lots of protein/fats and carbs PWO and low/no carbs for other meals. That'd be your best bet for a recomp.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like you've made some great progress. I think your calories are very low for your current body weight, which will eventually lead to a plateau. How much weight have you been losing per week? Its ideal to aim to lose 1-2 pounds per week, which is a healthy rate for fat loss. If you're content with eating at such a big deficit I guess you can stay on your current plan.

The only problem I forsee that you haven't accounted for is when your fat loss plateaus. Since you are already eating such a small amount of calories, you will have to drop the cals even lower when you hit a sticking point. This will put your caloric intake at a very unhealthily low level for your weight. Just something to keep in mind. Depending on how much weight you're losing per week, I would probably suggest increasing your calories so you have some wiggle room when your fat loss begins to slow down.

15-17% may be possible by July, its a great goal to have to keep you motivated. It'll be hard work, but if you stay consistent and your diet is in check you'll be able to come close to your goals. I'd be curious to see what your macronutrient breakdown per day is, or if you are monitoring it at all. myfitnesspal is great because it lets you see how much protein, carbs, and fats you're consuming. Post up your diet so we can give you better feedback.

And I agree with matt, eat high protein and lift heavy weight and utilize compound lifts. Since you're new to weight training your body will respond well. Also note, its possible that you'll be able to build muscle whilst losing body fat for a short time, but realize that this won't always be possible. Muscle and strength gains won't keep coming if you continue to eat at such a large deficit.

TolaSkamp

Awards
Thanks for all the replies ... I am losing about 2 lbs a week (a very slow process) ... I am not currently on a diet ... I am almost eating anything once the calories fall with in 1530 (yes my calories numbers has decreased, it was more than 1530 when I was at 245 lbs, myfitnesspal adjusts the calories when I update my weight on the app) ... I am avoiding simple sugars and limiting bread, rice and pasta ... I am trying to stick to 40/40/20 though ... I am recently unemployed so protein shakes and some foods are not easy to obtain right now (but that's just temporarily of course) ... My friend that I go to the gym with been lifting for awhile so he lifts way heavier than me but I try to keep up, so I am lifting heavy but I know I can probably increase on the cardio ... I only really do cardio if my friend is running late and I am already at the gym, and that's on the treadmill.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like a good setup to me. If you dial in your diet a bit more you'll definitely notice better results. And if you're already losing 2 pounds a week, I would hold off on adding in extra cardio. Keep cardio in your back pocket and utilize it when the scale stops moving. Keep up the good work!

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Those cals look very low. Have you calculated your TDEE?

TolaSkamp

Awards
No, I did not calculate anything. I just inputted my weight, age, height and sex into myfitnesspal and followed the calories it suggested.

SChasEE

SChasEE

Awards
Nice progress my man, your well on your way to accomplishing your goals!

Myfitnesspal is a great app and is extremely useful. However, if you are consistently losing weight with the amount of calories your consuming I wouldn't necessarily follow the number that they suggest. I would only adjust your calories once you hit a plateau. If I ain't. Broke don't fix it I guess. Keep up the good work brother!

gmennn

Awards
It's not easy losing fat and building muscle. But if you keep your protein the majority of your calories and keep the carbs low you will build muscle to. I went from 271 to 215 in a year and I increased my muscle mass at the same time. I didn't cut my cals as much as you, but I hit the stairmaster 5 days a week and lifted 4 of those days. Sounds like you're doing great. Always remember, consistency is the key. Good luck!

TolaSkamp

Awards
Wow! Using that link it says I should be eating 3107 calories.

TolaSkamp

Awards
I have been using Isopure for protein ... Is this a good protein? ... It is pretty expensive ... Do you guys recommend another or should I try to stick with this? Thanks again everyone.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have been using Isopure for protein ... Is this a good protein? ... It is pretty expensive ... Do you guys recommend another or should I try to stick with this? Thanks again everyone.
Isopure is a good option if you need an isolate. The only people who would benefit from an isolate powder are those that are lactose intolerant. Your best option is a blend such as Select, Pronom, or UP 2.0. There are others out there, but those are my favorite, Select being my number one choice. A blend has shown to be more beneficial than straight whey, isolate, or casein. It will be a little cheaper than your isolate now. You could also go with whey protein and mix it with a dairy source to make a blend. If you would like to go straight whey, there is nothing wrong with that. Stick with Universal/Animal, Cellucor, SAN.

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm personally not a huge fan of ion exchange whey in general. Are you lactose intolerant?

gmennn

Awards
Whatever tastes good, and you feel you're recovering, then it's good. I use the Pro Star Six Isolate just cause it tastes better than the regular.

TolaSkamp

Awards
No, I am not lactose intolerant ... I only started using Isopure off of reading reviews

TolaSkamp

Awards
I am going to give Select a try ... Apart from Isopure the only other protein I tried was Gold Standard ... again only because of reviews ... I was under the impression whey was the best for quicker more noticeable results

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Read the writeup on select

pescience.com/select-protein.html

It's one of the only protein powders I will ever use

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Wow! Using that link it says I should be eating 3107 calories.
it is probably pretty inaccurate. They put mine at 3174 and I've found my maintenance be right around there. Im 215 @ 11-13%. If you know your bf%, i'd try and find a calculator that you can use a formula that takes into account bf%. As this will be more accurate. I cant remember the site that has multiple formulas you are able to select from, but if you google "tdee calculator" im sure it will be in there.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I am going to give Select a try ... Apart from Isopure the only other protein I tried was Gold Standard ... again only because of reviews ... I was under the impression whey was the best for quicker more noticeable results
In the end, if protein powder A and B both meet label claims, they will not give you quicker or more noticeable results. It will come down to your overall diet.

TolaSkamp

Awards
I just picked up the Select Protein ... I am anxious to give it a try ... Could I please have some recommendations on pre-workout supplements ... I have been using Bullnox

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I just picked up the Select Protein ... I am anxious to give it a try ... Could I please have some recommendations on pre-workout supplements ... I have been using Bullnox
You'll be very pleased with Select. That stuff is so good. What flavor did you get dude?! As far as pre-workouts go, there is quite a range of products out there. It really depends on your goal of the product. Are you looking more for an energy product, or more of a pump product? If you're looking for a sick pump, I recommmend PES High Volume, Controlled Labs Glycergrow, or Purus Labs Noxygen. On the stimulant side, I am a fan of iForce Nutrition Max Out, Olympus Labs conqu3r, and Pro Supps Mr. Hyde.

TolaSkamp

Awards
I got the snickerdoodle (the last one) ... Man that's a lot of recommendations lol, appreciate it ... I was looking for a good balance of both ... But if I have to pick one I would say the sick pump. .. Would be good if the pump lasts though ... Thanks

TolaSkamp

Awards
Snickerdoodle select protein is delicious! I'm kind of upset with everyone now, why didn't someone tell me about it sooner! Lol .... Thanks again everyone

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I got the snickerdoodle (the last one) ... Man that's a lot of recommendations lol, appreciate it ... I was looking for a good balance of both ... But if I have to pick one I would say the sick pump. .. Would be good if the pump lasts though ... Thanks
If you want pump you should check out high volume. Full doses of Agmatine, citrulline, and nitrates, just add stims if needed. ;)

TolaSkamp

Awards
I did pick up the high volume ... will try it in an hour ... what stims can I add? (Forgive me, im new and I am trying to learn as much as possible )

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I did pick up the high volume ... will try it in an hour ... what stims can I add? (Forgive me, im new and I am trying to learn as much as possible )
High Volume doesn't contain any stims, so add whatevery stim products you'd like. High Volume and caffeine makes a great pre-workout

TolaSkamp

Awards
Caffeine ... I have a friend that claims he drinks coffee before going to the gym ... I will try and pick up some caffeine ... would it be beneficial to put creatine in there as well?

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Are you looking for something more stim based or pump based?

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Caffeine ... I have a friend that claims he drinks coffee before going to the gym ... I will try and pick up some caffeine ... would it be beneficial to put creatine in there as well?
Creatine timing isn't essential, but you can add it to it if it is convenient ( I do).

I usually drink coffee with my preworkout meal then drink high volume preworkout.