The 5:2 fast diet

dbl38

Awards
  • Established
I just read an article about the 5:2 diet which in a nutshell follows a normal clean meal regiment 5 days a week and an 800 calorie fast day twice a week. The fast days are non training days that consist of 2 meals of 400 cals 12 apart. The article implied that the fast greatly increased insulin sensitivity and allowed for an average fat loss of 1lb a week.
Anyone have any experience with this?

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Utterly retarded!

A basic 500 cal deficiency allows for a 1lb weight loss per week as well

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think BigRed is doing this diet.

zcol94

zcol94

Awards
  • Established
It can work, but so can any other diet... outside of the extreme diets ( ud 2.0/rapid fat loss ) all diets are basically equal, whatever diet you can stick to will be the best

jaces

jaces

Awards
its average...average diet for average people...a diet for average goals.. a diet fot people that train average...

dbl38

Awards
  • Established
I had seen it through Tnation and I know that we're all different and respond differently. I run CKD, but I'm not getting the results I once did and thought about switching things up for a few weeks.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There is actually some evidence in favor of extreme underfeeding twice a week. I gotta dig up the study but if I recall correctly the group that used under fed days lost more weight than the control group which were kcal matched for the week

BigRed1974

BigRed1974

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I am trying it out. Just a different way to get yourself in a deficit. Just going to be my second week on it but it went good last week.

dbl38

Awards
  • Established
I am trying it out. Just a different way to get yourself in a deficit. Just going to be my second week on it but it went good last week.
It looks like an easier way than over thinking the math of a standard "cut".

BigRed1974

BigRed1974

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
It looks like an easier way than over thinking the math of a standard "cut".
That is why I am trying it out. I don't have to be as strict on my calories on the 5 days, gives me some freedom on the weekends especially.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
There is actually some evidence in favor of extreme underfeeding twice a week. I gotta dig up the study but if I recall correctly the group that used under fed days lost more weight than the control group which were kcal matched for the week
It works in line with the 24hour fasting protocol

dbl38

Awards
  • Established
BigRed1974 are your low cal fast days split or back to back? IE Monday and Wednesday or Thursday Friday? How is strength the day after?

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It works in line with the 24hour fasting protocol
I don't know the particulars of this specific diet, but from the one that was published in the paper I was referencing it was a combo of under eating and normal eating throughout the week. So not really fasting per se.

BigRed1974

BigRed1974

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
BigRed1974 are your low cal fast days split or back to back? IE Monday and Wednesday or Thursday Friday? How is strength the day after?
They recommend two non-consecutive days. I am doing Mondays and Thursdays.
I haven't had any issues with strength the next day.

MyKH3LL

MyKH3LL

Awards
They recommend two non-consecutive days. I am doing Mondays and Thursdays.
I haven't had any issues with strength the next day.
Good luck mate. Let us all know how you progress :)

dreamcrusher

Awards
Don't waste your time. If your not seeing results in your current CKD diet it's because your calories are too high, your energy expenditure is too low or both. Regardless of what fatloss diet your on, you need to be on a calorie deficit. I've done the CKD, IF, and I wished I wouldn't have even bothered wasting my time and energy. High Protein, moderate carbs and low fat is the way to go.

Its all about calorie deficit with the right macronutrients.

dbl38

Awards
  • Established
Don't waste your time. If your not seeing results in your current CKD diet it's because your calories are too high, your energy expenditure is too low or both. Regardless of what fatloss diet your on, you need to be on a calorie deficit. I've done the CKD, IF, and I wished I wouldn't have even bothered wasting my time and energy. High Protein, moderate carbs and low fat is the way to go.

That's what I was looking for, someone who has some experience with this type of plan. I'm here to learn and not teach.

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've tried the 5/2 diet and I enjoyed it mainly because it's "two days of pain" instead of every day being painful, haha. I suck at dieting and just knowing that if I can survive 2 days of the week restricting my calories to see results is really a good thing for me. Contrary to what you might think, it doesn't actually make you go insane and binge on the other 5 days.

dbl38

Awards
  • Established
I've tried the 5/2 diet and I enjoyed it mainly because it's "two days of pain" instead of every day being painful, haha. I suck at dieting and just knowing that if I can survive 2 days of the week restricting my calories to see results is really a good thing for me. Contrary to what you might think, it doesn't actually make you go insane and binge on the other 5 days.
How'd it work for you?

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How'd it work for you?
Ate at maintenance for 5 days, dropped to 800 on 2 days (2 non-workout days, non-consecutive). I dropped 1 lb per week and it was pretty easy. My social life/eating habits didn't have to change except on 2 days and my gym performance was pretty constant. But the main test I think is being able to survive on 800 calories for a day or two.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
dbl38 did you decide to give this a go and try it out?

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
That's what I was looking for, someone who has some experience with this type of plan. I'm here to learn and not teach.
Hes not teaching you anything except his personal opinion.. these diets are meant for lifestyle compatibility, not to be miracle protocols.

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'll be restarting this kind of diet next week.

dbl38

Awards
  • Established
Hes not teaching you anything except his personal opinion.. these diets are meant for lifestyle compatibility, not to be miracle protocols.
Life style compatibility is what it's all about! I find it easier understanding personal failings when I see how others might fail as well. I don't want to attempt a change like this if others real world experience with it sucks.

TestMe24

TestMe24

Awards
dont see why it wouldnt work. cals in vs cals out. if youre training, youll def be in a deficit at that intake.

any fast will have some extra bennefits. although you dont get the full benefit of a fast if youre eating. even a small amount.

im currently running a 16:8 Intermittent fast. 8 hour feed window each day and 16 hours of fasting. i feel like something like that or having 2x 24 hr full fasting periods would make the positive effects of a fast more pronounced than 5:2 (assuming cals are in check)

BigRed1974

BigRed1974

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Going on my 3rd week and seeing some good results with it. Dropping about a pound per week but really seeing the changes in the mirror.
Also I find my weight doesn't fluctuate as much as say when I would do a lower carb diet and where I could have a 5 to 10 pound change once I added carbs back in.

It is fitting my lifestyle and workout schedule well and this is the most important thing to stay consistent. The low calorie days don't bother me since I know it will be just that one day and I will be able to eat regular the next day.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established

The thing is, a CKD (especially longterm) is actually the best recomp diet around. It's the best way to lose fat and get lean gains over time.

Now speaking strictly about cutting? It may not be the overall best.

But speaking from experience, a CKD is one of the best ways to stay lean year round, and continue to get lean gains (while also a great way to cut if you are strict with your calorie intake). I tend to lean more towards a TKD and target my carbs peri-workout when my training intensity ramps up overtime.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What's your macro intake like when you are TKD Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
What's your macro intake like when you are TKD Gutterpump
I'll keep macros the same as a CKD, but will have 80g carbs ~1 hour pre-workout and 20g during. No carbs on off-days (which is only 1-2 days per week when things are intense).

Going to start a TKD like this next week, utilizing a refeed once a week.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Btw, I should mention that I take 80g CHO pre-workout for the insulin spike needed to drive injectable l-carnitine into the muscle (during a cut). Otherwise, I'd probably have my carbs during + post.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Utterly retarded!

A basic 500 cal deficiency allows for a 1lb weight loss per week as well
I wrote the article for this in priceplow and it is not retarded. It simply moves the 500 cal deficit x 7, so 3500, to a 1250 2x a week. It works on the same principle of overall calorie deficit equaling weightloss. There is nothing written in stone that you have to have an equal deficit every single day in order to lose weight. When compared to more traditional diets the results were about the same but many people will have an easier time sticking to a twice-weekly restriction vs an everyday one. Psychologically speaking this is MUCH easier for some, myself included. If you read the article with smart food selections you will not feel like you are starving either.

Like any diet that has shown positive results with studies, it is better for some than others. It is merely another way to arrive at the same destination.