The Anabolic Diet

LiftWithDonuts

LiftWithDonuts

Awards
  • Established
Sup guys, so I'm trying to lean out some and I've been looking into this diet. So far I have down what I think would be a perfect plan macro and calorie wise.
5'10

Is there anything someone might add? I'll post a picture of my macros and of my diet.

LiftWithDonuts

LiftWithDonuts

Awards
  • Established
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1430891765.560462.jpg

That is for the first 14 days before the re feed

LiftWithDonuts

LiftWithDonuts

Awards
  • Established
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1430891871.457601.jpg

Da grub

LiftWithDonuts

LiftWithDonuts

Awards
  • Established
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1430891895.420285.jpg

Mo grub

JFarmer1

Awards
Ive been in Keto for 2 weeks and feel great and have lost weight!! IMO your plan looks good! I am eating alot less calories than you tho because I have a ton of body fat to shed. About a week in you will have a day you feel like complete crap but it will pass!! Good luck!!

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Looks fine based on its guidelines. Try it for a few months and see how you like it. Everyone will respond to a keto style diet differently.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Looks good. Btw what app is that?

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Old app did too, I never updated lol

JFarmer1

Awards
It's alot better now. They now have a pay for service that is suppose to be really good. I'm not paying

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
What got better?

JFarmer1

Awards
I feel the graphs are better and the over all usability. It's quicker to load as well

LiftWithDonuts

LiftWithDonuts

Awards
  • Established
Looks fine based on its guidelines. Try it for a few months and see how you like it. Everyone will respond to a keto style diet differently.
Yeah from what I've read the first 2 weeks are tough. I've also thrown in salad/lettuce twice a day.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yeah from what I've read the first 2 weeks are tough. I've also thrown in salad/lettuce twice a day.
In my experience spinich was best, lettace is good as well. Te first couple weeks are difficult, but believe it or not i started to find the first day of every week after the refeeds to be the hardest. That subsequently was my strongest day for lifting because i was all carbed up, but eating wise it sucked. All in all this is a pretty solid diet. I ran it for almost half a year throughout my bulk.

LiftWithDonuts

LiftWithDonuts

Awards
  • Established
Would you suggest a pretty clean re feed? Or like a back loading approach doughnuts cause that would be awesome haha also how was your bulk while on the diet?

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Would you suggest a pretty clean re feed? Or like a back loading approach doughnuts cause that would be awesome haha also how was your bulk while on the diet?
I honestly would go with clean foods. Some people can get away with watever, but personally i operate better on real foods. Maybe do like 90:10 clean to dirty foods.

LiftWithDonuts

LiftWithDonuts

Awards
  • Established
Good to know. I'll probably just keep it clean. Oats and rice at first. Also do you count fiber into carb totals?

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What does the book say? Mine is buried currently, otherwise I'd look.

LiftWithDonuts

LiftWithDonuts

Awards
  • Established
I believe it says to just have a 60 30 10 ratio of carbs protein and fats for The two re feed days. I'm not 100% on if the carbs need to be high glycemic or low. But if it's a two day re feed low glycemic might make more sense

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Good to know. I'll probably just keep it clean. Oats and rice at first. Also do you count fiber into carb totals?
No, subtract your fiber. You can def do pastas here and there, some breads, but stick to rice potatoes and oats as your main sources. Also remember your body has to process that food. Thats mainly why i cam off it. The meals were getting out of control and the constant switching between fats and carbs messed my diegestion up for real.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Also a key point of this diet is being able to recognize when you start to spill over and after that go back to fats. Some people can eat carbs for two days, some three, some a half day. Depends on your body. That is def in the book. If you eat a boat load of sugar and replenish your glycogen in a short time, then your carb refeed should be over. Def look this part up

LiftWithDonuts

LiftWithDonuts

Awards
  • Established
My plan is to eat about a cup of brown rice the night of the first re feed and then on the Sunday have a normal eating day basically; eggs and oats, chicken and rice, protein shake ,Fish and rice.then back to my morning eggs with olive oil and steak and such. I did a diet similar to this not on purpose basically, before I started working as much. Now that I'm back to one job i can focus on my diet a little more. The last time I did this my fats were a little lower but it did help me go from 220 to 180. I wasn't by any means ripped but I was a lot lighter. Also isn't cardio supposed to be limited or not needed?

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
the anabolic diet prescribes doughnuts and dextrose during the carb up. if your going to do the anabolic diet stick to its guidelines. otherwise your just doing a low carb diet.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
taking the best of the anabolic diet and proceeding to body opus.. you should use the built up insulin sensitivity to slam the carbs into muscles fast while you can..
liquid carbs (dextrose in a whey shake) come first.. followed by starch finished with complex carbs. this is meal wise over the course of your carb up.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Youtube bios3training anabolic diet. He explains it very well and addresses the carb up. Also you can google the metabolic diet( changed the name) by dr mauro dipasquale and download the free 80 page version of the book. I would definitely advise doing as he reccommends. i would post links to both but cant.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
taking the best of the anabolic diet and proceeding to body opus.. you should use the built up insulin sensitivity to slam the carbs into muscles fast while you can..
liquid carbs (dextrose in a whey shake) come first.. followed by starch finished with complex carbs. this is meal wise over the course of your carb up.
Thats great advice in my opinion. I pretty much did this myself when i was doing refeeds.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Youtube bios3training anabolic diet. He explains it very well and addresses the carb up. Also you can google the metabolic diet( changed the name) by dr mauro dipasquale and download the free 80 page version of the book. I would definitely advise doing as he reccommends. i would post links to both but cant.
I DO recommend you get the book and follow it.. I like jerry but he says some seriously wrong things when it comes to keto diets. its like he too bro to get the science or something. like I said I like him but don't listen to him on the subject of fats.

anyhow.. if you plan to revert each week into keto you will want to cause a sugar crash late in the carb up
use another couple dextrose shakes to do so.

LiftWithDonuts

LiftWithDonuts

Awards
  • Established
Okay I'll look more into it, thanks you guys for the feedback. Also, I asked jerry about BCAAs and this diet and said they were a no go and I'm not really sure why

LiftWithDonuts

LiftWithDonuts

Awards
  • Established
Cool, then on re feed day I'll start off with dextrose(60gs) and whey and eggs

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Okay I'll look more into it, thanks you guys for the feedback. Also, I asked jerry about BCAAs and this diet and said they were a no go and I'm not really sure why
as long as they are not filled with sugar I don't see any reason you cant use them. they are in fact proteins, so just keep that in mind as your setting up your macros.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Probly because you are consuming so much protein there is no need for them. That diet is designed to maintain muscle even on a cut. Since it high protein high fat bcaas wont hurt, but def not nessesary

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I concur..
most likely reason he would say that...
keep in mind this diet almost negates the need for regular supps like fat burners and such.. not that you cant use them but a lot of them are unnecessary

DirtyWilly

DirtyWilly

Awards
  • Established
Had a hard time losing weight on Anabolic diet. Too easy to go overboard on the cheat days. No gauge to know when you've gone too far. I found it was effective at maintaining the same weight range over time. (No real loss or gain.)

Been experimenting with a modified high fat diet with good results.

Gymrat1225

Gymrat1225

Awards
Which book does everyone recommend on the diet?

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
I use AD last year with huge success, then switched to TKD... I also ran alphamine with it to replace my morning coffee

LiftWithDonuts

LiftWithDonuts

Awards
  • Established
Probly because you are consuming so much protein there is no need for them. That diet is designed to maintain muscle even on a cut. Since it high protein high fat bcaas wont hurt, but def not nessesary
Apparently BCAAs are glucogenic. Some are both glucogenic and ketogenic. Ex. Arginine, glutamine, valine are only glucogenic. When isoleucine is both glucogenic and ketogenic.

DirtyWilly

DirtyWilly

Awards
  • Established
Apparently BCAAs are glucogenic. Some are both glucogenic and ketogenic. Ex. Arginine, glutamine, valine are only glucogenic. When isoleucine is both glucogenic and ketogenic.
Just curious, would that mean avoiding glucogenic amino acids would be more beneficial to keto diets? Or would taking them, because they convert to ketones first, promote keto diets?

JONimal

JONimal

Awards
  • Established
I personally think BCAA's are essential especially during low cal and carb bouts to keep protein synthesis going leucine will do that by itself in the precense of other amino acids so if you have a nice high protein intake just a leucine supplement could suffice since its strictly ketogenic. Also clean refeeds work better everytime, the 90/10 is the best way to keep your sanity but if you sneak a cookie here or there its not gonna kill the diet

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
personally I like the body opus more than any of them .. but its also the hardest to adhere to.

LiftWithDonuts

LiftWithDonuts

Awards
  • Established
I personally think BCAA's are essential especially during low cal and carb bouts to keep protein synthesis going leucine will do that by itself in the precense of other amino acids so if you have a nice high protein intake just a leucine supplement could suffice since its strictly ketogenic. Also clean refeeds work better everytime, the 90/10 is the best way to keep your sanity but if you sneak a cookie here or there its not gonna kill the diet
If while in ketosis someone drank just leucine would it have a positive effect or would other non keto BCAAs be needed. I've read that every other BCAAs like are converted to precursors for glucose synthesis.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
while that all works out "on paper".. the truth is it'd be a transient/negligible effect because you are consuming so little in the big picture of a properly designed keto diet.. the only way you could know for sure the impact on your actual diet is to use a blood glucose monitor and take timed measurements after ingesting the BCAAs. again though, what's a typical serving of BCAAs... ? 7-10 g id wager. of that the total load of glucogenic amino's would be less than the total serving itself.
any concern for this issue would surely be lessened if one was doing a protocol ingesting 60-% fat for your daily caloric intake. "on paper" that would blunt the effect of the amino's entering the bloodstream further lessening the issue.

you have just as much chance of coming out of keto by drinking whey protein.

LiftWithDonuts

LiftWithDonuts

Awards
  • Established
True, and I think it would differ from person to person. I have seen people say that to not drink whey while doing a keto diet. One because it may knock you out of ketosis and also you should be getting plenty enough protein from your diet. The only real benefit would be absorption post workout.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Keep in mind these diets were designed in a time when the main focus was creating an alternative to using aas and still getting similar results ( i dont know about that lol). Supplements were not as advanced or developed at that time. If you read the supps suggested in the book, they are probably nothing like what you would think to take...