Need Opinions On Next Step In Cut

ParaMetric

Awards
Hey guys,

Hoping to get some opinions from you. I've seem to hit a plateau and have been sitting at the same weight/bf for a few weeks. I'm currently sitting at 6' 203lbs and 13%BF. Looking to get down to 9-10%. I started cutting the beginning of February and was at 220lbs and around 18-20%BF. I lift an average of five days a week and do cardio for thirty minutes at least two to three days a week. I mix it up with both HIIT and LISS. Current diet is 2602cals, 225P/90F/223C. I hit my first plateau in March so I started doing more cardio and increased my macros. This helped for a while but I've stalled again. Been tossing around several ideas including cutting back calories to around 2200 (cutting some fat but mostly carbs), carb cylcing, maybe even keto. Any advice or insight is greatly appreciated.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I would try increasing your protein alittle and decreasing carbs alittle and then hitting cardio one more time a week. Try doing some supersets as well during your workout and hit higher reps.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Carb cycling has done wonders for me. I'm just as lean if not leaner than when I was in college, and I'm 36.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You've been dieting for a while now. Have you had any refeeds?

ParaMetric

Awards
Ant, usually have a cheat meal on Saturdays. Next weekend I'll be traveling so considering a diet break Fri-Sun then starting fresh on Monday.

BlackIron

Awards
When I begin a cut I first cut out all processed foods and sugars. Thats step one. When I plateau I will then cut cals a little until I plateau. I keep cutting cals until I reach my personal low cal intake and I stay there for the rest of the cut. Once I plateau after my last cal cut I then implement cardio in the form of finishers post training. Prowler push/pull, farmer carries, battle ropes, complexes, ect. By the time I hit a plateau from this I am usually pretty lean. If I want to continue losing bf I will start taking a walk in the am upon rising and a cup of coffee. I will do this 3x week for 30 min. I will gradually increase it to 45 min and then maybe more x per week if needed. I know there have been studies on fasted cardio blah blah blah, but over 23 yrs of doing this I really notice no significant muscle loss. And I do get leaner so I stick with my real world exp. Ive tried it several ways and this def works the best for me personally. If I keep my protein intake adequate and keep lifting heavy my body just doesnt give up the muscle. Maybe Im lucky, but I know others who have come to the same conclusion. I think what works best is to take small steps and milk the crap out of each one before you move on to another. The body gets used to a step and thats why we plateau. So if you throw everything at it at once where do you have left to go. Milk each step for everything its worth. Just my exp. Hope it helps man.

ParaMetric

Awards
Appreciate the advice BlackIron. Like you, I have noticed very little if any muscle loss. Going to take a step back from it next weekend and start over.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Carb cycling has done wonders for me. I'm just as lean if not leaner than when I was in college, and I'm 36.
I would also suggest carb cycling. It'll keep you motivated to stay on track with your diet and it will give you days to look forward to during the week where you can eat more carbs. I find that I don't have to drop my calories as low when I'm carb cycling and I'm able to stay very lean while still having one or two high carb days per week. Keto is very extreme and unsustainable IMHO. I've done it before, but sticking to keto as a lifestyle isn't easy. I would definitely suggest experimenting with some carb cycling to get you down to the 9-10 range.

220 to 203 is excellent progress! Just stay consistent and don't be afraid to experiment. Are you taking any thermogenics?

ParaMetric

Awards
John,

Thanks for the advice. I've been taking Myokem Pyroxamine. I also have PES Alphamine.

Will definitely look more into carb cycling.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
John,

Thanks for the advice. I've been taking Myokem Pyroxamine. I also have PES Alphamine.

Will definitely look more into carb cycling.
No problem man. Alphamine is a fantastic product, it'll definitely help you with your progress. I would also consider adding in some yohimbine HCL before you do your cardio, but start with a low dose and work your way up. Some people are very sensitive to it, but it works great and its inexpensive. Another popular product talked about on the boards is PES Norcodrine

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
Carb cycling does wonders for me. I use it on the last phase though, like last 4 weeks of the cut. Like blackiron I use different phase.

Month 1 - clean up diet
Month 2 - clean diet + a little cardio
Month 3 - clean diet, cardio + eca
Month 4 - diet, cardio, eca, carb cycling (only because I love carbs so much, it's the last to go)

thu_hobbit

Awards
  • Established
goodvibes this is how i usually cut down as well. i just havent ever tried eca yet. i am in what you called "month 2" right now and will try and throw some eca this time but at half dose since i dont know how my body reacts. if i like it ill bump up to the full 25 the next month

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
goodvibes this is how i usually cut down as well. i just havent ever tried eca yet. i am in what you called "month 2" right now and will try and throw some eca this time but at half dose since i dont know how my body reacts. if i like it ill bump up to the full 25 the next month
It's really easy on my body and I only literally cut the last two months. The first two is more like a primer and prep me for an efficient fat burning stage.

thu_hobbit

Awards
  • Established
the only thing is my job has random drug tests and i REALLY dont wannt get a false posative for amphetamines haha

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
the only thing is my job has random drug tests and i REALLY dont wannt get a false posative for amphetamines haha
Can always tell them the half truth. You had an asthma attack and took bronkaid :)