Supplements to watch out for when on keto

Wagz86

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So I've always has a hard time getting into keto and staying there. I've been doing keto for a long time so I'm not new to it. Lately I've been reading a lot of scandal about these supplements companies and their proprietary blends. So now I'm curious. Are there any products I should worry about knocking me out of keto. For example. I generally use a scoop of pre workout before the gym it's sugar free but now I'm concerned about maybe there is something in there I'm not seeing on the label such as an artificial sweetener that affects blood sugar or who knows. I'm probably going to cut out all pwd just to be safe but just incase there is a safe alternative I figured I'd go ahead and ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Good points for sure. I struggle with the same things.

I find that alot of the prop blends contain things like rice flour, clclic dextrin, etc. These are no good especially if you are blind to how much is in there. Now i know its a small amount, but on keto it adds up QUICK! I find that you have to find companies you trust, contact thier reps, and get the scoop. If noone knows, my thing is better safe than sorry. A few things id reccommend are straight ingredients instead of products, like bulk glutamine, creatine etc. Also i have found that proteins have higher carb values. I stuck to pes select, most have 1 g carbs and isopure have zero carbs. My overall theory is better safe than sorry. So if the company is secretive or shady and wont answer my question i dont risk it. Also i find thT sugar alcohols count for about half the true carbs, sugar esters are supposed to be one third of a real carb. I just count them as full carbs and play it safe.

Wagz86

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Whats your experience with something like Usp labs amino lift?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtyWilly

DirtyWilly

Awards
  • Established
I don't think there's anything in PWO's.

Staying in keto is more of an art than a science even for a keto veteran. The keto sticks for measuring acetone in your urine is grossly inaccurate. If you workout hard the day before you shouldn't have any ketone byproducts in your urine cause you've burned them off! One of a dozen things that throw both the blood and urine strips off.

Can't think of any supps that take me out of keto, have to be careful of a few where the carbs can add up like some proteins. Say your whey shake has 3g carbs in it, times 6 meals a day, looking at 18g in carbs right there. Adds up... Some people are very carb sensitive, I've read everything from saying under 130g a day is considered low carb, under 100g low carb, under 50g very low carb, and under 30g optimal. Atkins aims for 5-10g during phase 1! The protein alone would blow that.

I still experiment with sugar alcohol treats, but I'm not sure the verdict there. Seems like a very thin line to walk, definitely reduces my keto measurements. Been avoiding them, avoiding cheese (even though everything says cheese is fine), and mostly avoiding the late night snacking and the weights/fats coming off again.

Wagz86

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well so far. What I've done is I've cut out all artificial sweeteners. No dairy. I keep protein under 150 as recommended by lyle McDonald. For me everything is chicken breast, eggs, extra virgin olive oil, fish oil. And a little mayonnaise. Still no luck really. But to be honest I FEEL healthier if that makes sense. I take 30 grams of fiber from psyllium husks every day. I'm going to be increasing cardio to every AM 30 minutes of low impact walking. So we will see. I get absolutely no results from any kind of fat burn supplements but I never have so I don't bother. I've actually dropped protein shake because I couldn't afford the really good pure ones direct from the sources as opposed to all these brand label ones that seems to all be lies these days. I just make sure to eat about 8 Oz of chicken following my workout and so far I haven't seen a difference from the shakes so that's good cause the chicken is cheaper. I cut out the pre workouts. They never made me feel anything anyway. I get more out of a strong cup of coffee and that's beneficial for make you BM which can be an issue for keto people. So that's me so far

NEBinAK

NEBinAK

Awards
I mostly ate bacon, eggs, oils, salmon, chicken thighs, smoked sausage, cheese, and then some protein bars I made

Also had salad with full fat dressing and he cheese crumbles

1 tbsp heavy cream
1/2 scoop snickerdoodle select
1 tbsp natural almond butter (literally only almonds in it

Ends up with like 3g total carbs and 13g fat, 15g protein or something like that. Great snack when your craving carbs.

My total carbs inuding fiber were usually under 20g and my calories were kept at about 2100-2300 while cutting

DirtyWilly

DirtyWilly

Awards
  • Established
Could get a glucose blood tester and test your blood sugar after a meal. They usually make keto sticks that work with the glucose blood meters too, but they're not cheap.

If you're only looking to test for a few weeks, it's relatively cheap considering you can administer two weeks worth of fairly accurate testing for under $50. Don't know of any lab that cheap... So it's cheap from that perspective, but to test ongoing it's expensive.

I've done a few blood glucose tests after meals I suspected of having more carbs than claimed and might have been knocking me out of keto but was still in the low 80's. Haven't done a test after a PreWO, but might try that.

I've seen the debate on the artificial sweeteners. Not counting the sugar alcohol group, usually seen in chocolates but almost always have calories, I don't think the artificial non-calorie sweeteners raise blood sugar/insulin. How could they?

Wagz86

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Dunno. I just see arguments for both. So I figured the only safe bet is to avoid it all together