Carb-back loading

Bluedev14

Bluedev14

Awards
Just learned about this. The theory sounds brilliants, but a fair amount of people say it's bs. Wondering anyone do it or try it? I think I might try it but I'm worried about losing significant muscle mass from it due to the fact I eat clean and don't really pig out on bad foods like the plan says you can. What do you guys think? Worth a try for cutting season?

Battossi

Awards
I have to ask...have you done a cut before? How long did it take you.

For you to lose any big amount of muscle on a permanent basis you would either have to stop lifting or do an extreme low calorie diet.

Carb back loading ...I'm sorry but the body doesn't suck up carbs and pop them into where they need to go instantly.

You eat today for fuel tomorrow. Meal timing or macro time is largely irrelevant for the majority except for pre workout nutrition IMO. I eat most of my food post workout. Not for any reason other than I work out in the morning.

I think you should do what works for you. Try it. The worst thing that will happen is you waste time.

The way I've done it is cut calories,slowly increase cardio if even needed and have 2 refeeds a week.

It's all personal preference but if you're looking for a magic cure for muscle loss then you're out of luck.

At the end of the day. ...do what works for you.

Battossi

Awards
However ....if you're a drug using athlete then I would make some adjustments due to the drugs. (For instance. ...low fat with insulin and high protein for clen/t3/steroid combo)

Malin 13

Awards
CBl or CN are diets based on controlling an insulin , one of the most powerful hormones , in CBL the idea is that by eating carbs after a workout you forcing insulin to use carbs to replenish muscle ( and promoting a grow of lean mass) olso that carb load supoust fuel your next workout , lots of people love that program

jaces

jaces

Awards
just to be sure here .. are you refering to a full day of back loading(e.g. CKD) or just a post workout meal to replenish your glycogen??

erod20

Awards
The theory is very interesting, so i tried it myself.
I was able to lose a surprising amount of fat while keeping muscle. Fat seemed to go off quicker than just spreading my carbs out throughout the day. And i was still able to keep my strength.

I understand the theory of how it doesnt matter when you consume your carbs as well. Carb back loading just seemed to work better for my body.

Overall, i believe it is worth a try. Just keep a good track of your macros.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
CBL is the only approach I use with carbs, other than targeted keto

Malin 13

Awards
In cbl you should eat your carbs after workout ( after noon / evening being most recommended )
So no carbs during the day , workout ( no carbs pre or diuring) then backload your carbs , again idea is to make insulin spike to build lean mass instead of storing carbs as fat . Also the load shoud be fuel your nex workout ,
And it is not one meal , you got whole evening to replenish carbs ( that's why Kifer recommends to workout in early evening )
Also a think a lot people that do not like low carb diets are the ones that not eating enuve fats ,