Carb back-loading

JFarmer1

Awards
I have been reading a little on carb back loading and wanted to here opinions on it. Does it work well? Is it really ok to eat simple carbs instead of complex?

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It kinda just depends on your goals. If you're a hardgainer its good haha.

JFarmer1

Awards
Well I can gain fat like a pro lol, but I can lose wieght fast also. I just can't seem to look like I have muscle. I can get bull strong just look kinda chubby lol. If that makes any sense

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Look into a tkd targeted keto diet.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
mehhh I backload because I love sleeping with a stomach full of cookie crisp...

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
mehhh I backload because I love sleeping with a stomach full of cookie crisp...
Exactly this.

Just follow a plan and stick to it. Having all carbs post workout will not make a difference compared to having them spread through the day. It comes down to personal preference and if one can have a solid training with no stratchy carbs pre workout. Essentially, worrying if this or that diet plan is majoring in the minors. Try it out, see if you like it and go from there. The bigger picture is whether or not you are eating enough cals and hitting your macros.

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
It kinda just depends on your goals. If you're a hardgainer its good haha.
how would restricting your carb intake to a certain time of the day be "good" for a "hardgainer"

Bluedev14

Bluedev14

Awards
how would restricting your carb intake to a certain time of the day be "good" for a "hardgainer"
The theory is that once you workout and eat a lot of the high GI carbs, they'll be channeled directly to the muscles you just worked out due to the high Insullin spike. A hard gainer has a much easier time breaking down those carbs than say a meso-endo

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
The theory is that once you workout and eat a lot of the high GI carbs, they'll be channeled directly to the muscles you just worked out due to the high Insullin spike. A hard gainer has a much easier time breaking down those carbs than say a meso-endo
o lord

jerisonross

jerisonross

Awards
There are several different protocols for different body types when it comes to carb-backloading. I have been using this technique coupled with an intense workout routine and have seen nothing but positive results. Muscles becoming more dense, losing fat while gaining muscle...slowly.

It is a very good technique that should honestly be utilized more. If you have any specific questions feel free to inbox me!

Best of luck

abot

abot

Awards
Mehhh … At the end of the day all that matters is your daily caloric expenditure. Calories in vs calories out. Hit your desired macros. When weight loss stalls, use a step down approach ie add more cardio, drop carbs on non training days etc etc .. Don't buy into all the fad diet bro-science bull****. Listen to guys like Alan Aragon and Layne Norton (his newer stuff)

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Mehhh … At the end of the day all that matters is your daily caloric expenditure. Calories in vs calories out. Hit your desired macros. When weight loss stalls, use a step down approach ie add more cardio, drop carbs on non training days etc etc .. Don't buy into all the fad diet bro-science bull****. Listen to guys like Alan Aragon and Layne Norton (his newer stuff)
Calories in and out is def the factor and your stepping down methods are definitely correct. But micro nutrients are very important as well as macros. So in that sense its more than cals in and out. Also hormonal responses in your body change with nutrient timing, and if done properly can be maniulated to your advantage.

abot

abot

Awards
Calories in and out is def the factor and your stepping down methods are definitely correct. But micro nutrients are very important as well as macros. So in that sense its more than cals in and out. Also hormonal responses in your body change with nutrient timing, and if done properly can be maniulated to your advantage.
IMO nutrient timing could be implemented to optimize your workouts. It won't have an effect on bodycomposition at the end of the day as long as you hit your macros.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
IMO nutrient timing could be implemented to optimize your workouts. It won't have an effect on bodycomposition at the end of the day as long as you hit your macros.
That def holds weight and on a long term i think your right. I personally find some of the nutrient timing to work for me on a short term and help me achieve results quicker. Also as you mentioned the benefits to training

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
not completely. Obviously yes hitting your macros is superior to all. But training fasted. not eating anything for 16 hours. then eating all your food in one meal is not going to be optimal for body comp/hypertrophy

abot

abot

Awards
not completely. Obviously yes hitting your macros is superior to all. But training fasted. not eating anything for 16 hours. then eating all your food in one meal is not going to be optimal for body comp/hypertrophy
Realistically, it's going to be damn near impossible to hit all your required daily macros in one meal ...

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Realistically, it's going to be damn near impossible to hit all your required daily macros in one meal ...
Not true.... I can easily hit 2500 in one meal

abot

abot

Awards
Calories is one thing .. Hitting target macros is another story. And more power to you bro, you're a better person than me lol

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Calories is one thing .. Hitting target macros is another story. And more power to you bro, you're a better person than me lol
How?

If one has a macro split of 40/40/20 at 2500 cals, both the macros and cals can be hit whether it is over the course of 1 meal or multiple. If the food choices at multiple meals is the same as one meal, those macros are still being hit.

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
not hard at all for alot of people i know. including me

abot

abot

Awards
Whatever works. I'm just saying from my person experience, it would be hard to do so .. For example, if I was to have a reefed with the following macros of
50f/360c/190p that would break down to having
- 7 servings of jasmine rice @ 45g per serving
- 4.4 servings of chicken breast @ 71g per serving
- 4 servings of PES whey @ 31g per serving
-4 servings of French Toast Crunch @28g per serving
3.5 servings of smart balance spread @14g per serving

For me, that is a lot to consume in one meal ..

And the shakes are a convenience because I work 12 hour days. If I had gotten most of my protein from whole foods, it would be much harder. Again like I said, whatever works ..

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Thats because you literally list NO fats.... substitute chicken for steak, etc...

abot

abot

Awards
Whatever I'm doing seems to be working, but thanks for the advice

BlackIron

Awards
I am 37 and have been training since i was 15. Over the years I have manipulated my diet in a million ways. The carb backloading protocol fits my lifestyle the best. This is how I have made it work for me. Im off work at 330 and in the weight room by 430. His protocol calls for no carbs until after training but I have found that my training is not as intense if I do this. I do stick to no carbs except for fiberous veggies pre training, but I utilize intra training carbs via cyclic dextrin at 50g. After training I load another 250 carbs until I go to bed. I found that the processed carbs he suggests made me feel like crap over time so I use healthy starchy carbs like potatoes and jasmine rice. I also use 20 grams of leucine spread out with meals from post training until bed. Non training days I keep my carb intake to veggies and trace carbs only. I weight train 4 x week with heavy finishers like prowler push/pull, farmer carries and the like.

What I have noticed with this plan as opposed to all the others I have tried. I dont flatten out like I do on other eating plans. Muscles are crazy full. Vascular as all get out. Great energy in and out of the gym. Terrific recovery. Fat loss while not effortless is much easier even at my age. Carbs eaten during the day seem to make me sluggish so taking them in post training makes me sleep like a baby. I also retain more muscle while cutting using this plan. I am natty at this point in my life, havent used anabolics in over a decade. I am 5'7" 194 at 9-10 % bf. While this is just my personal experience with this I hope the info helps. Trial and error is the only way to find what is best for you and you alone.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I am 37 and have been training since i was 15. Over the years I have manipulated my diet in a million ways. The carb backloading protocol fits my lifestyle the best. This is how I have made it work for me. Im off work at 330 and in the weight room by 430. His protocol calls for no carbs until after training but I have found that my training is not as intense if I do this. I do stick to no carbs except for fiberous veggies pre training, but I utilize intra training carbs via cyclic dextrin at 50g. After training I load another 250 carbs until I go to bed. I found that the processed carbs he suggests made me feel like crap over time so I use healthy starchy carbs like potatoes and jasmine rice. I also use 20 grams of leucine spread out with meals from post training until bed. Non training days I keep my carb intake to veggies and trace carbs only. I weight train 4 x week with heavy finishers like prowler push/pull, farmer carries and the like.

What I have noticed with this plan as opposed to all the others I have tried. I dont flatten out like I do on other eating plans. Muscles are crazy full. Vascular as all get out. Great energy in and out of the gym. Terrific recovery. Fat loss while not effortless is much easier even at my age. Carbs eaten during the day seem to make me sluggish so taking them in post training makes me sleep like a baby. I also retain more muscle while cutting using this plan. I am natty at this point in my life, havent used anabolics in over a decade. I am 5'7" 194 at 9-10 % bf. While this is just my personal experience with this I hope the info helps. Trial and error is the only way to find what is best for you and you alone.
I do a similar setup with no carbs as a base, then on heavy training days hbcd intra, with clean carbs after, sweet potatoes brown rice, some fruits etc. Works phenominal for me, performance is up, and im succesfully recomping for once lol

r3zy

Awards
Exactly this, I feel like **** if I eat carbs throughout the day. So keep them for post workout and sleep like I'm in a coma