help with body fat lose

physical

Awards
Hey guys. I have been in the gym for about one month since my 6 month depressing break. I am 5' 7" at about 172 lbs. Body fat percentage is around 20-25% based on looking at pictures. I used IIFYM to calculate my TDEE which is 2500. With a 15 percent cut I am looking at about 2100. I spent one month at 2100 and seen no results. I am now running at about 1800 this week so will see how that goes. However my strength isn't going up like I was hoping it would from getting back into the gym. Is this going to happen since I'm cutting? Or should I maintain and build strength back first? I am not trying to go bodybuilder style. I am only wanting to get to about 15% as I am happy with that.

Any help on how to get this goal sooner would be great. This low calorie eating is draining me and I am losing confidence in the gym lifting small amount of weight.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I'd have to see what exactly the 2100 calories were made up of. Take in higher amount of protein and lower the carbs and base them around your workout. Maybe throw in a cutting supplement if you want or some natural anabolics that will help you cut as well as keep your strength up.
http://www.strongsupplementshop.com/natural-anabolics

physical

Awards
This is usually what it consists of..

Morning:
5 Egg Whites
2 Whole Eggs

Lunch:
7oz Skinless Sweet Potato
4-8oz Chicken
Mixed Vege

Dinner (1 hour pre workout):
63g Salad
4-8oz Chicken
28g Shreded Cheese
3 Tablespoon Zesty Italian Dressing

This is usually a stapel daily, after this it consists of 1-2 protein shakes somewhere in the day, some peanut butter, wheat bread, almonds, nutri-grain bar, apple. Not everything but those usually change around.

As far as anabolic, I am currently starting week 4 of 1-Andro(4 pills daily) and week 2 of Epi-Andro(5 pills daily) by IML. TBH I haven't noticed anything in terms of strength or BF% lose.

DB1219

Awards
How motivated are you to lose BF? Try lowering your carbs to 50 grams a day, intermittent fasting 16/8 protocol (leangains), increase cardio. Obviously continue to lift. Your strength might go down some but not as much as not going to the gym for a month.

physical

Awards
I am pretty motivated. I just want to get down to 15% so I can begin a lean bulk and start a progression workout and actually do things right. My strength isn't anything special at the moment. I went last week and did some 1-3 rep maxes and they were somewhere like..

Bench 225
Squat 315
Deadlift 355

Bench is 60lbs off 1rm before break, squat is 90lbs off, and deadlift is about 80lbs off. I figured if I cut down quickly then I could just build a solid foundation and work up from there. Also, Do you have any information on intermittent fasting 16/8 protocol (leangains)? I will try some Google searches.

And cardio is going to be 2x a week for about 2 miles.

physical

Awards
Here is what today is looking like right now..

(Can't post links so just paste below into address bar)

i.imgur.com/yrDJiZH.png

So I still need little bit of protein and little bit of fats to sum it all up. But I am 1150 calories. This is what the past week has looked like in terms of macros/calories. I am going to gym in about 1 hour and then I will come home and then take a protein and would normally eat some crackers of some sort or something to fill in a couple hundred calories. But since you recommend keeping carbs low I am really unsure what to eat.

DB1219

Awards
Leangains is the website and the name of a fasting regime that advocates an 8 hour window of eating and a 16 hour fasting period. It makes your body use stored energy (fat) and hence lose weight. It is supposed to minimize protein/muscle loss while doing this. I work nights so here is my schedule: I wake up (7 am get kids off to school) and hit gym late morning, I eat at noon or 1 pm usually. My last meal is about 7-8 pm. I do not eat after that. I am in bed by midnight or so. This has helped get me past a weight loss plateau. Fasting in general is supposed to be more effective than general calorie restriction. I will try to link to some studies in the future, but check it out.

physical

Awards
Just checked it out and it seems pretty decent. I think I could get the 16 hours in if I went to bed at 9PM and didn't eat till lunch time the next day. Well 15 hours but close enough.

DB1219

Awards
You and I are about same dimensions. A few years back I got sick of the soft look despite regular weight training and traditional cardio. Sometimes you have to step back too see what is important. For you, it is BF reduction per your post. Prioritize this. If your bench goes down who gives a s***? I would be rather be a cut 165 and do 30 pullups than be a pudgy 190 guy benching 300. Some guys would disagree and that is fine. For me MMA fighters are a great example. These guys look muscular and they are in great shape. Look at the weights these guys are at (yeah, I know they reduce fluids and all that before a fight, but still they are light and low bf.). I bet you have the muscle, you just have too much BF to see it.

DB1219

Awards
I can't post links yet. Go to Mark's Daily Apple (another great site) and search the archives for intermittent fasting. Also Mark has great nutritional advice for weight loss from a common-sense, low-carb perspective.

David147

Awards
These are the things I've found help me when losing weight:

1. low carb diet: meaning cut out all of the white flour products - white bread, white pasta, etc. - and white rice. you want to eat only brown rice, whole grain bread, whole grain pasta, whole grain tortillas, etc.

2. raw food diet: you want to eat a high percentage of raw foods - i.e salads for dinner, fruit smoothies for breakfast, fruit with your yogurt for snacks

3. no sugar: sugar makes the body store fat..... as soon as you stop consuming sugar your body will start burning the fat it already has. stop eating sugar and start eating healthy sweetener substitutes like "stevia" (this is a natural sweetener taken from a plant that is sweeter than sugar).

4. healthy fats: studies show you need to eat fat to burn fat. you need to be consuming monounsaturated fat/omega-3 fatty acids..... this can be found in olive oil, ground flax seeds, chia seeds, salmon, sardines, oil fish, avocado, and dark chocolate (you want to stick with cacao powder, cacao nibs which can be found from amazon.com from navitas naturals brand). studies have also shown that eating a healthy fat with every meal helps to burn and target belly fat (Google "the flat belly diet" for more information on this) - opt to eat olive oil with savory dishes such as salads and soups and ground flax seed or chia seeds with sweet things like oatmeal, cereal, yogurt parfaits, smoothies, etc.

5. three hour diet: you want to eat meals every three hours in order to fuel your metabolism and start burning calories faster. this will get your metabolism burning like a furnace by feeding it every three hours.

ufusannon

Awards
that's nice tips for diet :)